MINI Inspired By Goodwood (aka MCS gets Rolls Royce treatment)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Busta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud of
MINI Inspired By Goodwood (aka MCS gets Rolls Royce treatment)

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-mini...a-porsche.html

The Mini Cooper That Costs As Much As A Porsche
ForbesBy Hannah Elliott | Forbes – Thu, May 26, 2011 8:09 PM EDT

How much are Rolls-Royce-caliber leather and woodwork worth if they’re in, say, a Mini Cooper?

About $67,000, if the Mini Cooper Inspired By Goodwood is any indication. That’s how much the Rolls-Royce-esque coupe costs under current exchange rates from its European price of 46,900 euros–just about the same as the Porsche Cayman R ($66,300) and Cayenne S Hybrid ($67,700).

The car is a limited-production model meant to combine the rally-car heritage of the Mini with the workmanship of Rolls-Royce. One thousand of them will be made in Mini’s Oxford plant (not, ironically, in Goodwood).

Mini Inspired By Goodwood certainly is plush, if not quite as roomy as a Ghost: The dash, console, carpeting and seats are clad in the exclusively Rolls-Royce “cornsilk” tone (beige, in common parlance); the door handles and control panels are cased in walnut burr, a finish also exclusive to Rolls-Royce.

The car itself is based primarily on the Mini Cooper S, with similar front and rear styling and the l.6-liter four-cylinder turbo engine that debuted in the 2011 Mini S. (The engine gets 181 hp and up to 192 ft-lbs of torque, with a zero-to-60 mph sprint of 6.6 seconds.) Fuel economy ratings are 35 mpg on the highway and 27 mpg in the city under the manual transmission variant. A six-speed automatic is also available.

Inspired By Goodwood comes painted in Rolls-Royce Diamond Black metallic with 17-inch light alloy wheels in an ever-so-posh multi-spoke design. Aluminum badges stamped “MINI INSPIRED BY GOODWOOD” and “One of 1000,” flank various points on the car.

It’s a lot of luxury for one little car, as the price reflects. But by the time this Mini hits U.S. shores, its sticker will likely have been adjusted to be slightly more palatable for American buyers.

Deliveries start in Europe in March 2012.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
That's insane... I know that the limited edition nature of the car is cool, and I am sure the interior is going to be fantastic. But TRIPLE the price?

There are easily a thousand Mini fans out there with enough money to snap these up, but they sure as hell won't be going out to the casual buyers.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:42 PM
voltairesb is infamous around these parts
Sounds like a job for a VERY good interior guy!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:44 PM
ME-109 is infamous around these parts
I think there is definitely a market for luxury city cars (at least in Europe); maybe not to this extreme degree, but as someone who likes small cars, I am often disappointed by what's available. Most of the city cars I've checked out have horrendous interiors and feel cheap and tinny, the ones that do have style tend to be more interested in being "whimsical" or cute rather than classically tasteful.

It will be interesting to see how well the Fiat 500 and Cygnet sell in the US. Most people who have the means to buy a premium city car would prefer a bigger luxury sedan, small city cars are more a preference rather than a necessity as in Europe with their crowded and compact city streets and limited parking. But I know I would be interested in buying one as a DD.

Last edited by ME-109; 05-30-2011 at 04:49 PM.