FYI: Lynnwood/Edmonds Police Alert!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
FerRrari is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Huzeti
There is a major reduction in police force in Lynnwood and is based on them being short budgeted, the rumor is 50% might have to go, I know one who is leaving due to these events and I'm glad in some way. I've been ticketed there for bs speeding scam and I avoid now that stupid city and it's the same with Edmonds imbeciles. My consolation is that the one in Lynnwood somehow is related to me since I used to date his wife years back, it was worth the ticket just to see his face...
P.S. whoever did this shameless behavior thing on my profile has a sense of humor and I like it.
If you go to your Control Panel you can see I gave you bad rep points for jumping to conclusions in the E@RTC thread.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Christiancoach
It is actually mounted using 4 small suction cups. It isn't coming off.

Still, be careful. I have my Passport radar mounted using a HUGE lever-armed suction cup and it flys off my window if I do a hard 1-2 acceleration shift!!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 PM
madflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nice
Originally Posted by Christiancoach
It is actually mounted using 4 small suction cups. It isn't coming off.
That won't help if some a-hole plows into you from the rear. I learned in traffic school (too many tickets back in the day! ) that I license plate put in the front windshield has decapitated many drivers and passengers when hit, anchored down or not. Food for thought.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Opusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to behold
I used to always have my front plate in the window but a few weeks ago it came loose when I had to slam on my breaks and I figured it wasnt safe. In idaho the front plate ticket is only $64 though, WA sounds a little expensive I might have to put mine on next month when I move there.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:36 PM
madflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nice
Originally Posted by Wrecked Em!!!
LMAO, this is the dumbest thing I've heard in quite a while.
lol, with a user name of 'wrecked em', you should understand the physics. Unless you meant to spell 'Rectum' and you just suck at spelling like you do physics.

Read a Physics 101 book and if you still don't get it, then I'll explain.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Very nice. And you proved my theory - it is possible. But say it doesn't have enough force to sever the spine, don't you think the potential alone of getting to the spine or jugular is dangerous enough? Or the lacerations it potentially could leave on your passenger? What about a child?

The point that you demonstrated is that loose objects in a car can cause serious bodily injury or death, depending on the impact or nature of crash. And a thin, sharp, metal object placed in front of your passengers head is asking for it, whether its a rear end collision or a roll down a mountain.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
dirnegrey is infamous around these parts
Okay, I read a physics book. You'll have to bear with me though, because I just skimmed it (I'm kind of lazy).

As far as I can tell you have 3 discrete systems of mass:
1) the plate (1/8 lb?)
2) the car/driver. They're strapped together, so the act as one mass. (say 3000 lbs)
3) external mass. Could be another car, bridge support, brick wall, etc...

As long as the plate stays in the window, system 1 and 2 are always traveling at the same relative velocity. The only way the plate can contact the driver is if there is a relative acceleration between the two systems which is great enough to overcome the force of friction between the plate and the dashboard. Since the plate has no means of propulsion, and it is enclosed by the car, the acceleration must occur to the car. This is of course, assuming the windows are up, and the wind doesn't just blow the plate off.

Now, try to figure what force would be required to simply push a plate through somebody's neck and spine. You'd have to push it straight, because the plate's obviously not going to saw itself through. This is definitely speculation, but I'd say it would take hundreds of pounds of force, at minimum. I'm pretty sure a large man standing on it wouldn't even do it, but let's be generous and say 200 lbs.

This is where it gets tricky. Gravity exerts a force of 1/8 lb on the plate, and will cause it to accelerate at 1g. 200 lbs of force of the plate will cause it to accelerate at 1600g's. This means that if the plate hits your neck (or your neck hits the plate) at a high enough speed to cause decapitation, then during the 6" or so of cut, the plate will be decelerating at 1600g's. So in order to make it all the way through, the plate needs enough initial velocity so it makes it all the way through, without the 1600g's bringing it to rest, relative to your neck. Luckily the book had some sweet maths in it, and this speed came out to be about 155 mph.

So, assuming your head can be cut off with 200lbs of force behind a license plate; if the plate hit you at 155 mph, it would go all the way through.

Now remember that the only way to get relative motion between system 1 and 2 is for system 2 to undergo an acceleration. This acceleration needs to generate at least 155 mph difference between the two systems within the distance between the plate and your head, and in the direction of the plate.

Basically, your 2500 lb car is going to have to accelerate 155 mph in a span of about 4 feet. So, if you're sitting at a stoplight and get rear ended by a fully loaded tractor-trailer going 155 mph, then yes, you might need to worry about that unsecured plate. Beyond that, I'd say "no ****ing way", so I apparently don't get it.

Please explain.
1600 g's? 1600 x 9.8 m/s2 = 15680 m/s2? it's the first time I've heard of that much acceleration. :P

Last edited by dirnegrey; 07-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 PM
1ce_cr3am is infamous around these parts
veyron exerts 1.55g under full acceleration. 1600g

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM
F=ma

As stated before, there is no outside force that can be acting on the plate if it's enclosed in the car. The only thing that can put it through the drivers neck is its own inertia. We've already estimated (likely very conservatively) the F required. The m is fixed. a is the result. Since the plate has such a low mass, it has to be accelerated extremely quickly for it to generate any significant force. Of course, this extreme acceleration has to be generated from the drivers neck.

It's frightening that they let you people have licenses.
LMAO, this is the dumbest thing I've heard in quite a while.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 AM
F=ma

As stated before, there is no outside force that can be acting on the plate if it's enclosed in the car. The only thing that can put it through the drivers neck is its own inertia. We've already estimated (likely very conservatively) the F required. The m is fixed. a is the result. Since the plate has such a low mass, it has to be accelerated extremely quickly for it to generate any significant force. Of course, this extreme acceleration has to be generated from the drivers neck.

It's frightening that they let you people have licenses.
"Gravity exerts a force of 1/8 lb on the plate, and will cause it to accelerate at 1g. 200 lbs of force of the plate will cause it to accelerate at 1600g's."

Correct, F = m.a. but you have to use right unit. the unit of force is not lbs, the common unit for force is newton (kg.m/ s2). in order to use newton, you have to convert the mass from lbs to kg. and the unit of acceleration is m/s2, (g = 9.8 m/s2). hope it's help.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:03 AM
No, a pound is in fact a unit of force, not mass. Since typically the force of gravity is considered to be constant, people tend to also use units of pounds when they really mean mass, since the two are proportional (on earth at a given elevation at least). The proper mass term in English units is pound-mass or slug.
just google it, turns out it's not si unit system so I don't familiar with it. but still from the calculation that I did with that I got 81.9G though. 1600G is not existent force.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 PM
huskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to all
A few years ago I received a no front license plate ticket, and I was glad I did.

I was driving my SLK55 AMG with the top down, and some dude got on my ***. I gunned it, going 35 to 60 pretty quickly, and low and behold, it was a cop riding my *** lol.

I admitted my stupidity, called him "sir" and apologized about 10 million times. He said, "you know what, I'll just give you a ticket for the front license plate and give you a warning on the speeding." A speeding ticket would have killed my insurance premiums. Haven't put on a front license plate yet, thinking, "hey, maybe I can sweet talk a cop to just give me a front license plate ticket again..." lol. I have had very bad experiences with the police, but for whatever reason, I've always been able to talk my way out of speeding tickets!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM
huntnphool is infamous around these parts
Ive been pulled over several times for no front plate, I just consider it part of the expense of owning the car.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Christiancoach has a spectacular aura aboutChristiancoach has a spectacular aura aboutChristiancoach has a spectacular aura about
If anything is going to come loose in an accident it is going to be people Radar Detectors, and GPS Units! My Plate is affixed to the windshield with 4 suction cups, and it you have to pull it just the right way to get it to come loose.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Forget all the math.
If you're at a dead stop and someone T-Bones you, it's coming off the windshield. If you roll, and the windshield is crushed or cracks and the suction cups lose their hold, it's coming off. I was not paying attention and cut my hand just washing the car with it mounted on a tow hook holder before I put a plate frame on it. What do you think it's going to do to any skin it comes into contact with in a violent accident?

Not to jump on a soapbox or anything, but why even bother to put it in the windshield? You know it's illegal to not have it mounted (with some exceptions) on the front of the car, so just leave it off....It's either a ticket for no front plate, or a ticket for having it in the windshield......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FYI: Lynnwood/Edmonds Police Alert!