Ticket in New Jersey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Ticket in New Jersey

I got a ticket in NJ but I have a NY License.

NY does not take any points by no means by any other state besides Ontario lol.

Should I just pay out the ticket and not worry about the hassle?

Ticket is for 120 in a 55. 3 in the morning with no traffic what so ever.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Ajcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud of
not sure the correct way to handle it, but i do have some advice. Tell them you lost the ticket or just photocopy it and then deal with it. but if I were you I would frame the original and put it on my wall somewhere. Not many people can say they have gotten a ticket for over double the posted limit.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ajcut7
not sure the correct way to handle it, but i do have some advice. Tell them you lost the ticket or just photocopy it and then deal with it. but if I were you I would frame the original and put it on my wall somewhere. Not many people can say they have gotten a ticket for over double the posted limit.
I never did pick up that DVD from you from our run last year lol.

and I got a ticket for 108 in a 50 in PA. Again, no traffic.

You should see this ticket. The officer was VERY adamant about posting i was at 120 by writing it about THIS big on the ticket.

Anyway, I guess I'll post on the 996 Turbo Forum.
Hope your enjoying the 997 AJ.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:28 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
DUDE, you are lucky you WALKED away and don't need a COURT appearance. They are cracking down like crazy down here in VA/MD/DC. My one friend got a ticket in VA (he's got an MD license) for 110 in a 55 on Route 495/Capital Beltway and they locked him up for 3 days in jail (out of state ticket in his 996TT). My other buddy got his 2nd DUI (not that this is the same thing) but had 2 reckless drivings within a couple years in different states every time and the State of VA has taken his license from him until 2012.

Checkpoints are everywhere and they're cracking down. I agree with Ajcut7, FRAME that puppy and take it as another "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD", which you may want to include in the frame from the Monopoly board game with a cc of the check you wrote to pay it w/out incident, lawyers and court fees. HAHAHA

Last edited by boochook; 08-31-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:34 PM
So I guess I should just pay then.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 AM
AggreZive4 is infamous around these parts
As long as you pay it, you will not have points assessed on your NY license. If you dont, you will have problems.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Size is infamous around these parts
you are a very lucky person. Pay the ticket, keep a copy to remind yourself to never do it again. I think its time for a slower car.
Do what I did - drive on the track, don't worry about tickets, have fun. Try www.scda1.com or pca.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
I may be in the minority here, but since you were caught so much over the limit, I say don't just pay the ticket. Instead, try to plea the ticket down to a more reasonable speed and then pay it. Reason I say this, is that even though NY doesn't record any points from that infraction, the information that you got that ticket could be shared with NY, and insurance companies have a knack for finding out these things. See attached link: http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content15135.aspx

If you or your lawyer can plea it down to something like careless driving instead (no points in NJ), then it is a lot less of a problem for you if your insurance co. ever finds out about it. Btw, I just dealt with a speeding ticket I got on the Palisades Parkway in NJ (22mph over the limit), and even though I have a NY license, I chose to appear in court. I talked to the prosecutor and he initially offered me a reduced point ticket by lowering the speed that they caught me at. I countered by asking him for a no points deal for a higher fine, and he agreed. To do this, plead Not Guilty on your ticket by calling the court and ask them for a court date. Then, if the prosecutor gives you a deal, you then end up pleading guilty to the lessor charge.

At the end of the day, I don't want any points to show up in any state for my insurance company to find out about. Just my .02. Good luck!

Last edited by boxtaboy; 09-03-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned
Maciej is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I may be in the minority here, but since you were caught so much over the limit, I say don't just pay the ticket. Instead, try to plea the ticket down to a more reasonable speed and then pay it. Reason I say this, is that even though NY doesn't record any points from that infraction, the information that you got that ticket could be shared with NY, and insurance companies have a knack for finding out these things. See attached link: http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content15135.aspx

If you or your lawyer can plea it down to something like careless driving instead (no points in NJ), then it is a lot less of a problem for you if your insurance co. ever finds out about it. Btw, I just dealt with a speeding ticket I got on the Palisades Parkway in NJ (22mph over the limit), and even though I have a NY license, I chose to appear in court. I talked to the prosecutor and he initially offered me a reduced point ticket by lowering the speed that they caught me at. I countered by asking him for a no points deal for a higher fine, and he agreed. To do this, plead Not Guilty on your ticket by calling the court and ask them for a court date. Then, if the prosecutor gives you a deal, you then end up pleading guilty to the lessor charge.

At the end of the day, I don't want any points to show up in any state for my insurance company to find out about. Just my .02. Good luck!
- Carless driving in NJ is 2 points.

- Palisades Parkway is a vortex between NJ/NY where both states work together.

- The only no point moving violation in NJ is unsafe driving.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AWR Tuning
- Carless driving in NJ is 2 points.

- Palisades Parkway is a vortex between NJ/NY where both states work together.

Yep, sorry...my ticket was plead down to unsafe driving (no points). Confused it with careless.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM
G-Gore is infamous around these parts
One more thing about unsafe driving - you can use it only twice. After that this option is unavailable until previous violation has cleared.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
TT/T is infamous around these parts
Just went to court in Monmouth County this past week on a ticket for doing 105mph in a 65mph on GSP.
I had also received a 2nd ticket at the same time for "careless driving".
Trooper said I was careless for speeding. Anyway...

Plead "Not Guilty" with the court.
You're start receiving attorney solicitations once you do.

Then I weighed my option to retain an attorney or not.
I opted not to.
I figured what I paid to the attorney in fees was better applied towards the fines I will pay.

BTW, always plead "Not Guilty" because I knew the prosecutors will offer a "deal".

So here's what happened on the court date:

You first meet with the prosecutor to see if he offers any "deals".

Prior to the court date, I first checked my tickets for techincal errors.
According to my research, in NJ, the only thing they must get absolutely right is your license plate number. Everything else is allowed as long as the ticket writer gets the info as close as possible.

So my missing middle intials on the ticket doesn't mean a thing, though the trooper had my license and registration and they both clearly had my middle initials. It can be techincally argued my name without my middle intials is not me. But it was close but no cigar.

Date format was written on the ticket as only month/year for my license and registration info. Techincally, in absence of a written date of the month when month/year is written, the last date of the month is assumed. Again, close but no cigar.

A VIN entry space is provided on the ticket, but that info doesn't necessarily have to be filled in. Then why provide the space if you don't have to fill it in?

On my registration, body type was clearly "CONV". But the Trooper wrote "2 Dr". Technically, that's incorrect. In NYC, I got a parking ticket and the agent wrote "2 Dr". I went to NYC PVB and they dismissed my parking ticket because of this. The agent had to write "CONV" because that's what the registration shows. Well, in NJ, they don't care. Trooper got my license plate written in correctly.

Location of offense is deemed important. The trooper wrote the municipality was "Middlesex" on the speeding ticket and wrote "Middle" on the "careless driving" ticket. There is no "Middle" municipality in Monmouth County. So "careless driving" ticket get dismissed by the prosecutor.

One ticket down, one to go.

On the speeding ticket, the prosecutor asked me if I was speeding, of course I said no.
He asked me how do I know.
I said the trooper check off traffic road condition as "medium".
I asked the prosecutor how can the trooper can justify I was doing 105mph in a 65mph zone in "medium" traffic road condition on a two lane highway?

I also told the prosecutor when I asked the trooper what "speed measuring device" he used, he ignored me. Technically I had the right to know. But courts have always sides with the troopers if they didn't reply to the request. I brought this up with the prosecutor just to show there is possible doubt with the trooper's use of a "speed measuring device".

Prosecutor responded that the best he can do is reducing the ticket to 80mph in a 65mph with a 30 day driving suspension in NJ and a $389 fine (fines are double in a 65mph zone). I smiled and asked if he can do 75 instead. Prosecutor said no and I had the choice instead to go to trial and take my chances with the judge and the trooper's testimony before the judge.

I accepted the "deal". Its certainly "better" than 105.

Here's my basis for accepting the deal:
I have a NY license. No points.
Doubt the municipality will report to Trenton and then report to Albany. Even the judge mentioned the backlog of this type of reporting both in Trenton and Alabny. (I'll deal with that hurdle if my insurance company bring its up. I previous had another ticket in NJ that was never reported to Alabny. So knock on wood.)
Municipality is more than happy to collect it fines. That's revenue.
Every prosecutor will make a "deal" to speed the process along.
You won't get off completely. The court wants their money.
I didn't want to return to court again (I know, if I didn't speed in the first place, I would be in court).
$389 is alot cheaper then hiring an attorney and paying the fines.
Staying away from NJ for 30 days is not that hard.
And getting 1 out of 2 tickets dismissed is great.

So bottom line, plead "Not Guilty" and make your "deal" with the prosecutor.

Last edited by TT/T; 09-09-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned
New York does not take points from New Jersey, so theres no real point to fight the ticket if the points don't transfer nor does your insurance get impacted.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:20 PM
TT/T is infamous around these parts
New York does not take points from New Jersey, so theres no real point to fight the ticket if the points don't transfer nor does your insurance get impacted.
Though no points transfer, the infraction can be reported to Trenton and then to Albany. And if Albany has that infraction on your license record, then your insurance company will know and raise your preminums accordingly or even cancel your policy.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TT/T
Though no points transfer, the infraction can be reported to Trenton and then to Albany. And if Albany has that infraction on your license record, then your insurance company will know and raise your preminums accordingly or even cancel your policy.
Doesn't happen. I have extensive experience with this along with all of my buddies. When I used to race bikes (before my accident this Spring), all of the guys have NY licenses and ride in Jersey. One of the guys has over 30, yes thirty, reckless driving and speeding tickets, with out any increases in his insurance.

Along with all of this my brother in law is a LEO so I see how it all works. You give way too much credit to people that work in the courts & DMV.

The only thing that anyone living in NY should be weary of is if they ever transfer their license to another state before the points in NJ expire, then your insurance will go up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ticket in New Jersey