Other British Cars Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Caterham, Noble & Range Rover

Need HELP!!! on 05 Land Rover LR3 Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Question Need HELP!!! on 05 Land Rover LR3 Purchase

Found an 05 LR3 SE V8 w/ 50,620 miles full loaded (Xenon's, 7-Passenger, Navigation, Rear DVD Entertainment System) for $16K. The car is no longer under warranty however and has exchanged hands locally several times over the years. Apparently, the previous owner sold it back to this SMALL dealer within 4 months of owning it b/c ran in to a "MONEY CRUNCH". So, here's the situation, talked to the local Land Rover dealer and they were suggesting that at around that mileage, I need to have the brakes and rotors replaced as well as a new set of rubbers on all four corners (about $4,400). The car's warranty is finished, but I can buy an extended warranty from this SMALL dealer bumper to bumper for an additional $2,700, so the truck would be $18,700 including bumper to bumper for 3 years 36,000 miles (is that worth it too).

The dealer says it would be tough to let me take it to the Local Land Rover dealer to do a 140 point inspection (to see if there is anything it needs or that I should be aware of). This Land Rover dealer has also apparently been doing all the service on the car originally, so that's good (hopefully they will remember it somehow in their system of course). Anyway, the SMALL dealer says since it's just him and his secretary he cannot close his dealer down to drive it up to get the inspection done. I understand that, but I am a little concerned about that too... ....

Anyway, the questions I have are:

1.) Is this a great deal or TOO good to be true?
2.) Should I buy it with or without the warranty?
3.) Should I just spend an extra $8K to get a certified Land Rover from a dealer. At $8K more, I'd rather just wait.....I'm only thinking of jumping on this truck b/c of the price.
4.) Any other thoughts or guidance is greatly appreciated....

Thanks everyone.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 PM
imola is infamous around these parts
if the guy won't let you get a proper PPI, what does that tell you? there are plenty of LR3s out there.