Other British Cars Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Caterham, Noble & Range Rover

LR3 vs Porsche CTS vs BMW x5 35d vs GL350d

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Gfolo19 is infamous around these parts
LR3 vs Porsche CTS vs BMW x5 35d vs GL350d

Hey guys,

I was planning on getting a sports car...996TT... BMW m3/5/6 or something old school, for my next car I havent had one for a while. I've been sporatically renting (btw hertz in NYC has a c63 amg available for rent and some other really cool stuff). Any way I am getting a SUV and it started because

My buddy has a stripped down (no back seat, stabalizer bars, lowered, crank,the works) e92 dinan M3...his car was in the shop and they gave him a 2011 BMW X5 35 diesel.

he came down to my beach house and was gushing about the SUV all weekend. Sunday he let me drive it back (he was sufficiently hammmered so he was forced to give me the keys) from my beach house to nyc. The car was a dream, he hates his M3 by comparision and is seriously getting a BMW X5 diesel SUV next, like before this winter. The passing power in the x5 Diesel was equivelent to being in 750 or 550 or 335... "luxurious thrust" is the only way i can describe it.

Anyway since then I've made some long drives with friends and tons of stuff from NYC to montauk in some rented and friends SUVs (Acura MDX, Chevy Traverse [suprisingly GOOD], and mercedes GL550)

I think SUV makes way more sense for my lifestyle (snow boarding/ skiing/ beach and just trasnporting friends)...the question is which one to get.

The cayenne Turbo S has always been on my radar. I wanted to pose the question to those that drive it and what they like/dislike how functional it is etc.

I basically am deciding between

CTS
LandRover LR3
GL350d
BMW X535d

you may ask "why no Rover or Rover Sport Super Charged"? well there's really no contest between them and the CTS. The CTS is faster just as capable and IMHO the Porsche is better looking. Plus the CTS will blow the doors off that thing even before I chip it.

Thus I'm basically deciding between the sportiness of the CTS and the functionality/Fuel Economy of the othe 3 (diesels better MPG +chip >320 hp and >500lb/ft torque so performance is still solid/ LR3 has 3rdrow and legendary off road performance and cheaper then the others)

Apologies for the long winded explanations but just curious as to peoples personal experiences with these cars

Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Gfolo19 is infamous around these parts
bueller?