Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

Evo X vs STI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Banned
Synchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these parts
Definitely the STi.

I've got an 07, and it drives like a dream. Not to mention the crazy fun factor.
They both have similar performance, but when it comes down to it just go test drive both and choose the one you like better. Personally, I think the 07's (Hawkeyes) look better than the new EVO's shark-nose look but it's all personal opinion.

The 08 and 09 STIs are hideous, but let's not bash STi because of a couple ugly model years.

See if you can find a good deal on an 07 Limited. I think that park bench spoiler that's found on the STIs that aren't limited is just too showy. I found mine on Autotrader and flew to Ohio to drive it back. Had 1000 miles when I finally got it but they guy who owned it before me absolutely babied it.

Can't say the same for myself.

Here's a picture of an 07 Limited (only comes in Silver and White, 400 made of each). I think it's miles above the EVO's styling.

EDIT: Found another pic:

Last edited by Synchzilla; 12-03-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Zach is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997ttguru
Which one has potential to perform better? Any comparisons? And if it were you, which one would you buy?

thanks in advance
evo = bigger/better/cheaper BIG power potential

but if you want to stay in the low-mid 300whp range it's close, evo's are known for making HUGE power...so is that something you're interested in?

I prefer the STI, I've driven Evo's, they're cool cars for sure but I prefer the motor noise, torque, and interior better on the STI

can't go wrong with either, in the end you need to test drive both

Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Josh_co
The STI is so ugly it doesn't matter what kind of performance it is capable of.
I'll admit that in stock form the GR is not the best looking STi, but with a few tweaks it can look great...

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/1804107-post105.html

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/1750764-post2.html

Last edited by empunker; 12-04-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Banned
997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all
All right, beside everything, which one has more fun to drive? I got some comments that Evo X is heavy, more like a german car now and STI should be more fun. What are your opinions?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned
Synchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997ttguru
All right, beside everything, which one has more fun to drive? I got some comments that Evo X is heavy, more like a german car now and STI should be more fun. What are your opinions?
The STI is a perfectly balanced consumer of tarmac. Just go drive one and you'll see what I mean.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
yes that is the only way to tell which is right for you, test drive each car.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned
ISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant futureISSForged has a brilliant future
Evo's make power with a lot less money... Stock internals are also better... The STI feels more stable though but bang for the buck the Evo is a better car.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Oh the never ending argument...

I personally like Subaru, I'm on my 3rd one. The 08 is a huge leap in terms of performance capability and build quality over the GD generation. Evo's make power "cheaper", I mean cams for an STI are a lot (you need 4 vs 2 with the evo, so the cammed stock turbo evo will make more power and the oem evo turbo is slightly bigger than the oem subaru turbo). Once you pass the 500+whp mark or you spend 10k on both cars they are the same. I like them both don't get me wrong, but I prefer Subaru.

My old 04 that I sold and my current wagon & 08 STI.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crand002
I think that is a generalization.

Oh yes, 18x10 rpf1's with 285 tires all around. That's the Topspeed car...I might run the same setup on my 08...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Zach is infamous around these parts

Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM
^^^^^^^

Seen it in person down here in Miami, very nice GR

Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 AM
maxx13 is infamous around these parts
I think this thread need's a little Evo love haha. Here's my X, Ive put about 13,000 miles on it and I love it. Now that I have installed coilover's it is easily the best handling car I have ever owned, it really is amazing how much performance you get for the money with these car's (along with the STI's).

BTW: One of my good friend's has an 08 STI and I've driven his car quite a few times and stock for stock there really isn't a huge difference between the two. I personally like how the Evo handles and feel's more than the STI (but thats why I bought one). Since your not going for HUGE power it really just depends on which one you think look's better and which one you think drives better. The best advice I can give you is to test drive both and then you will have your answer.

Last edited by maxx13; 12-17-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by maxx13

Love that color, although I still can't get used to the Evo X's tail light layout. Considerable leap in looks over the Evo 9's though.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Site Sponsor
vividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond reputevividracing2 has a reputation beyond repute
EVO X looks about 60 times cooler, IMO. I have owned one though so I'm biased. We have built a couple 08 STI's though. They are both fun cars to own because performance is so cheap....Great daily drivers.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:58 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Are you in Diamond Bar Area? I saw a similar car slammed with black rims and having a hard time getting onto the driveway.

Originally Posted by maxx13
I think this thread need's a little Evo love haha.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs STI?