Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

Evo X vs STI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:54 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
I think I will be buying a 08 STI for my DD.

I think I will do a Stage 2 COBB tuning (F&R Sway Bars, Intake, Turboback, Tune, Springs) on it and run it as a track car and possible learn to rally drive with it.

It will be my backup track car to my 997s, and my fun car.

My only complaint is that the GR sti feels very soft stock. It may need coilovers to get it to handle better on the track.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned
8speed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by crand002
I like my car but the EVO is a better performer for the money, no question. I feel the STi is a better made vehicle, safer, with a bullet proof tranny but the EVO can be made to go so fast without much coin. And the ability to stuff 275's on all four corners without issue is always a nice feature.

EDIT: The new Gen of both cars can fit 285's.
Subaru makes a better car than Mitsubishi.....end of story! More reliable, better resale etc. Both cars are easy and inexpensive to make fast and there is a surplus of parts available. Doesn't it really come down to preference? Mitsu guys will always be mitsu guys and vice-versa.......to each his own!

Old 12-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mobonic
I think I will be buying a 08 STI for my DD.

I think I will do a Stage 2 COBB tuning (F&R Sway Bars, Intake, Turboback, Tune, Springs) on it and run it as a track car and possible learn to rally drive with it.

It will be my backup track car to my 997s, and my fun car.

My only complaint is that the GR sti feels very soft stock. It may need coilovers to get it to handle better on the track.

COBB? ECUTEK all the way!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:53 PM
crand002 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 8speed
Subaru makes a better car than Mitsubishi.....end of story! More reliable, better resale etc. Both cars are easy and inexpensive to make fast and there is a surplus of parts available. Doesn't it really come down to preference? Mitsu guys will always be mitsu guys and vice-versa.......to each his own!
I believe they both have pro and cons as far as reliability and yes they both have a plethora of available parts. But...the EVO is cheaper to modify.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 PM
COBB? ECUTEK all the way!
Cobb has so many more features and allows you to store so many more maps, why do you prefer ECUtek?

Old 12-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by crand002
Cobb has so many more features and allows you to store so many more maps, why do you prefer ECUtek?

Because I firmly believe in the best, and I believe that Crawford performance and I-Speed build the best and they trust ECUTEK. I don't need 10 different map settings, just fast and faster with major reliability! Don't get me wrong the people at COBB tuning know what they are doing, but I trust and believe in the afore mentioned companies....and so do thousand of satisfied Subaru owners!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Because I firmly believe in the best, and I believe that Crawford performance and I-Speed build the best and they trust ECUTEK. I don't need 10 different map settings, just fast and faster with major reliability! Don't get me wrong the people at COBB tuning know what they are doing, but I trust and believe in the afore mentioned companies....and so do thousand of satisfied Subaru owners!

The only reason I am responding is because I feel strongly that everyone should know the con's of ECUtek before they purchase the product. 1st and foremost Crawford and I-Speed are very well known and very good but have some major flaws in my opinion. They are only 30 minutes from my home yet I drive an extra 90 minutes to have my car worked on for the simple reason that they only tune cars using ECUtek.

Almost all tuners tune these cars with many different EM's such as Cobb, ECUtek, U-Tech , Enginuity, Hydra, AMS, etc. The choice is really up to the customer. Crawford uses ECUtek for the simple reason that it locks out the customer i.e. you from going into your ECU and changing the perameters of the tune. It does make sense to certain extent. However once you have a ECUtek license it is almost impossible to go back to stock or change EM's should you want to down the road. Please read link: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/ecu-tuni...t-reading.html

Many people who have these cars like to have many different maps and like to keep their stock map as well. In my case if I ever want to part out my car I like knowing that the Accessport has my stock map stored. I also need to have multiple different maps becuase I like to use methanol injection and race gas. I have a 91 octane map, 91 octane map w/meth, and a race gas map w/meth which takes only seconds to change. With ECUtek you will need a laptop and it is much more complicated. Not to mention you can set launch control, flat foot shifting, test 0-60, 1/4 mile times, boost, timing, AFR, etc., etc.

With all that being if I had a fully built race car that only ran on race gas and I had $30K to give to Crawford there would be no need for the Cobb Accessport becuase my car would be used for only one purpose, the track. My car is a street car and I enjoy playing with it. On a street car the ECUtek really ties your hands together and limits the potential.

The choice is really up to you but just be sure you know everything there is about the EM you choose.

Last edited by crand002; 12-26-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned
very good insight, and I guess it comes down to what your needs are and what product fits those needs. Glad to see someone else speaking performance in here