Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

NSX vs. GT3

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
CL65Captain is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jacques79
How about a 2009 320HP 273 pd-feet torque Cayman S with limited slip differential?

How would that car compare to a stock NSX?

I have instructed and driven in a few 2008 Cayman S, but not the 2009. My impressions of the Cayman come solely from a session of hot laps on the track with one of the Porsche dealer's demo cars they brought and sitting in the right seat instructing in a quite a few of them last year.

The Cayman S is very similar in layout weight and power (2008) to the NA2 NSXs. However, the feeling driving is much different. First off, I felt the steering feel in the Cayman was much lighter and less communicative than the NSX. The suspension is much softer in the Cayman and has more body roll. The car likes to be placed where you want it. The Cayman feels much different than the Boxster on the track, it feels much more solid and more like a car than a toy. I remember tooling around Putnam Park in a 2008 Cayman S thinking - this isn't such a bad car it would make a very nice daily driver. The car did everything well, but nothing great.

I have chased down quite a few Cayman S on the track driven by guys in the advanced and instructor groups. I think the cars are very quick and very well matched to the NSX. The 2009, with more power, would probably be alot tougher to stay with. The problem with the stock NSX is there is NO torque down low, none! On high speed tracks the NSX shines, however I still get smoked coming out of the exit of slower turns by cars with torque.

Given the choice between a Cayman S and an NSX, I would still buy a NSX and add a CTSC or Turbo. The 2009 Cayman S is superior in every way performance wise to the NSX. My problem with comparing other cars to the NSX is that the NSX "feels" special when you drive it. It has a lot of short comings but for some strange reason that feel that Honda managed to accomplish with this car keeps me coming back to it. I have had guys with 911GT3s, F430s, faster and more modern cars, come over to me in the paddock area and tell me that the NSX they use to have was such a great car and they really miss it.

You may roll your eyes at this, but the Miata has the same magic. Mazda managed to do something great with that car.... the miata has a special "feeling" to driving it - especially on the track.

The Cayman is a GREAT car and I would buy one instead of a 911 without feeling like I was missing out. However, like I said earlier it feels like a daily driver, it feels like a car that does everything well, and nothing great.

Last edited by CL65Captain; 01-04-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 PM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
CL65Captain, I like your signature! Just another 100HP and it will be a great supercar! I don't do track but IMO it is still a little under power for a weekend car. Yeah, it was great in the early 90's but now I felt that every EVO, STI, SRT, C5, C6, 996's, 997's, Cayenne turbo, RS4, RS6, M3, M5, M6, 550I, 650I, C63, CLK63, SL550 and etc etc etc..... (you get the idea) can hand me my a$$ at anytime! Don't like that feeling! That is my opinion and I don't promote street racing. I still love the NSX but it just doesn't put me into the seat the way I like.

Last edited by MotorsportsR; 01-04-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by MotorsportsR
CL65Captain, I like your signature! Just another 100HP and it will be a great supercar! I don't do track but IMO it is a still a little under power for a weekend car. Yeah, it was great in the early 90's but now I felt that every EVO, STI, SRT, C5, C6, 996's, 997's, Cayenne turbo, RS4, RS6, M3, M5, M6, 550I, 650I, C63, CLK63, SL550 and etc etc etc..... (you get the idea) can hand me my a$$ at anytime! Don't like that feeling! That is my opinion and I don't promote street racing. I still love the NSX but it just doesn't put me into the seat the way I like.
Oh, I agree with you whole heatedly. The car just doesn't have torque. On the street you have to really wind it out to get that feeling of acceleration. Then you are doing triple digits. More modern cars, with more torque give you a much more rewarding acceleration experience.

However that being said, my long term plans to fix this is a SOS 3.6L stroke & LovFab turbo with modest 6 psi of boost. The combination of more displacement and boost will make the car perfect. Sort of a GT2 version of the NSX.

There are lots of cars that I would like to try, however there really isn't anything I would rather keep long term.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Ayrtonsennansx is infamous around these parts
Talking

Great posts guys!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Jacques79 is infamous around these parts
I have to disagree.

The NSX is not entirely the better drivers cars.

Braking pedal feel and flat out braking is much better in the Cayman.

I also felt there was less ''lift'' under acceleration in the Cayman S, as well as less ''dive'' when braking hard.

As for the steering feel, if there's anything the Cayman-Boxster have, it's that. Short of a Lotus Elise, I have never driven a daily-driver with as much steering feel as a Porsche Boxster or Cayman.

The 2001 NSX I had for a week had a lighter steering feel than my 2000 Porsche Boxster S. Although when I loaded up the wheel almost completely to the left or right the steering came alive a bit more in the NSX. But in terms of transmitting information to the driver's hands through the steering wheel, I feel the Cayman-Boxster do a better job.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jacques79
I have to disagree.
The NSX is not entirely the better drivers cars.
Braking pedal feel and flat out braking is much better in the Cayman.

I also felt there was less ''lift'' under acceleration in the Cayman S, as well as less ''dive'' when braking hard.

As for the steering feel, if there's anything the Cayman-Boxster have, it's that. Short of a Lotus Elise, I have never driven a daily-driver with as much steering feel as a Porsche Boxster or Cayman.

The 2001 NSX I had for a week had a lighter steering feel than my 2000 Porsche Boxster S. Although when I loaded up the wheel almost completely to the left or right the steering came alive a bit more in the NSX. But in terms of transmitting information to the driver's hands through the steering wheel, I feel the Cayman-Boxster do a better job.
I have no doubts that the Cayman makes a much better daily driver. The NSX can be DD, but it is missing many of the new, modern conveniences such as heated seats, navigation, usable cup holders, etc.

Did you have a chance to get either the NSX or the Cayman on the track?

I was just reading up on the 2009.... Price as tested: $95,000. WTF??? I'd start looking for a very low mile 997GT3 for that.

Last edited by CL65Captain; 01-04-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 AM
s4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura about
Are you talking about the older 996 GT3 or the newer 997 GT3?

I've had both an 08 GT3 and now own the latter: 04 NSX

Speed wise a 997 GT3 will walk all over the NSX - it's really a no brainer in terms of speed on the race track. A NSX-R I have no experience with so can't comment there. Of course on the race track it's always the driver who will determine which car is faster.

I loved the GT3 and love my NSX just as much if not more. Each car has it's merits but really you're comparing a $130k+ car to a $80k+ car so not a fair comparison.

here's both of mine:

Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Great responses fellas. I would think the 6gt3 would be a better comparison, more raw in terms of electronic "interference."

Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
StiRulz has much to be proud ofStiRulz has much to be proud ofStiRulz has much to be proud ofStiRulz has much to be proud ofStiRulz has much to be proud ofStiRulz has much to be proud ofStiRulz has much to be proud ofStiRulz has much to be proud of
Dude, at the track, all I see passing me is 911's and ZO6's. They kinda **** me off. I cannot come into the turns as hot as they can. I never see NSX's keep up with those cars. They just don't have the power, I don't think.

But, you can get an NSX real cheap, I don't think you can get a GT3 cheap. Prolly double the price. At half price or less I'd get the NSX.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
GTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud of
I like the looks of the NSX better and I'd get that, but from straight performance stock for stock, I think the GT3 is the better car.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Ayrtonsennansx is infamous around these parts
+1 I'de get the nsx also but then again, I am totally biased

NSX-R 714 hp where the rubber meets the road

lite em up at 5000 rpm's doing 50mph, jesus, I have to actually let off the gas, think I need more Down Force?

Thanks Armando, you built a very sick NSX!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
ztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to behold
It would be based on personal preference.

Talking about "if" the nsx had more power, now its modded vs. stock, "if" the porsche was modded, now your in the same boat performance wise.

Saying the Nsx would walk a Gt2 "if it just had more power" is ludacris. Your talking about A LOT more power and what about tires/brakes/etc.. that comes with 500+hp levels, your talking about HIGH costs to bring an nsx to GT2 levels, however...

Cost wise, give me a C5Z06, hell even a new C6Z06.

The Nsx was/is awesome but it never excelled enough in any areas which is why sales were dismal. This is also a large part of why they are so underrated.

Each car(z06 included) are fairly similar but In MUCH different ways which is why the Nsx's, GTx's, and Z06's are my favorite cars.

I just wish I had the problem of having to choose.

I personally would probably buy which everone I was able to get a better deal on, with a slight bais to the GT3.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
TTony is infamous around these partsTTony is infamous around these parts
Old 01-30-2009, 04:20 PM
s4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura about
I've driven various nsx's from 1991 to 2005 models and they really all feel a bit different. I guess it has something to do with the aftermarket upgrades and each different year. One thing I like about the nsx in any model year is the driving position. You really feel like you are part of the road and definitely has a sport feel to it. Of course the NSX lacks a lot of the modern creature comforts (bluetooth, navi, decent stereo, ipod)

Price wise it's no comparo as a 997 GT3 is easy double the price of a late model 2002+ nsx so it should win in most categories. I loved my GT3 while I had it but the one thing I didn't like about it is the very harsh ride and $$$ for mods. I think just getting a rear RS spoiler was like $10k!

But in defense of the GT3, it really needs nothing to perform 100% on the racetrack as it has the lowered race car stance, awesome brakes, and stunning engine/exhaust note. The NSX will need a lot of aftermarket upgrades to just be track worthy IMO.

rk

Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Snacks has a spectacular aura aboutSnacks has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
NSX
Pros:
1.) Mid-engined
2.) Lightweight
3.) Reliability
4.) F1 Inspired
5.) Gearbox

Cons:
1.) Power
Cons:
2) Having a tape deck still in 2005.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: NSX vs. GT3