Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

NSX vs. GT3

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Snacks
Cons:
2) Having a tape deck still in 2005.
It comes with a 6 disc CD changer in the trunk.

My Lexus GX470 still has a tape deck too! You just never know when you might need it! lol

373hp at the wheels with 9psi....and the roof comes off. What's not to like? All for cheaper than a Cayman S.

Last edited by DrVolkl; 01-31-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:40 AM
djtan is infamous around these parts
mmmm.......GT3!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 AM
dc5itr329 has a spectacular aura aboutdc5itr329 has a spectacular aura aboutdc5itr329 has a spectacular aura about
Love the NSX but it's very dated and can't keep up with todays cars because it hasn't really changed muched. The biggest engine change was done in 97 which was from a 3.0 to a 3.2. Honda needs to get back in the game period.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
I love the GT3, even more so with the new update. Just wish Honda would have made a nice evolution of the NSX with the same concept in mind, but with a ton more hp! To this day, I turn heads everytime I see one. The car has an absolute exotic appeal; now only if it had the grunt!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Snacks has a spectacular aura aboutSnacks has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
It comes with a 6 disc CD changer in the trunk.

My Lexus GX470 still has a tape deck too! You just never know when you might need it! lol

373hp at the wheels with 9psi....and the roof comes off. What's not to like? All for cheaper than a Cayman S.

HAHA, it's just hard to stomach spending 6 figures on a car and seeing that tape deck stare you in the eye. Beautiful NSX BTW!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
s4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DrVolkl

I agree, a supercharged NSX is tough to beat! This is something I think I really "need" in the future! Do you have the CTSC or SOS's latest new supercharger with more boost?

So you should be around 450+ hp at the crank? I only rode in a CTSC NSX around downtown sF once. I really need to get a ride from someone out on the highway to see how much faster it really feels

Clean ride, do you have Brembo's too?

rk

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by s4play
I agree, a supercharged NSX is tough to beat! This is something I think I really "need" in the future! Do you have the CTSC or SOS's latest new supercharger with more boost?

So you should be around 450+ hp at the crank? I only rode in a CTSC NSX around downtown sF once. I really need to get a ride from someone out on the highway to see how much faster it really feels

Clean ride, do you have Brembo's too?

rk
Last of the CT Engineering whipple chargers. I'm still running off the stock computer with a very safe "tune" so to speak. I have lots of fuel left, (walboro pump) would be pretty easy to up the boost to 12psi, add more fuel, get an AEM etc... and now with the intercooler that you can buy I see no problem getting 450 to the wheels on a what I would consider a very safe/easy to live with setup.

Personally I think it's a great addition to the car....people complain about the $10k...but it's like buying a new car for $10k...a ~400hp to the wheels car that weighs in at 3000lbs tops. Not bad....not bad at all!

Just enjoy the car as long as you can...then boost it. No regrets...the power comes on strong and linear...like dropping a V8 back there.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
CL65Captain is infamous around these parts
Doc, if you had to do it over again would you go Turbo? With the bump in Comptech/SOS prices it is pretty close to a "budget" LoveFab with 400rwhp and more torque.

How prevalent is the SC charger wine in car?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by CL65Captain
Doc, if you had to do it over again would you go Turbo? With the bump in Comptech/SOS prices it is pretty close to a "budget" LoveFab with 400rwhp and more torque.

How prevalent is the SC charger wine in car?
I spoke with Cody in length about the turbo before I bought the SC for my car. I have what I've been told is the last whipple style SC that CT engineering built for the NSX. They've sourced to a different manufacturer now.... who knows if that's still the case or not. (this info was told to me a year ago)

At some point you have to ask "What is my goal". It's very easy to get carried away with #'s....the never ending quest for HP.

I wanted a simple, plug n' play system that I knew would give me little if any headaches. I can still walk out to my car, turn the key once, fire it up and drive off. There's no more tweaking, tuning, maps, etc to worry about.

My car will pass emissions (which is key in my state) and requires little if any more maintenance than it did stock.

My car still drives exactly like it did before...the HP is linear, now there is just more of it. ~375 feels great...I think ~420 would be amazing...much more than that and I'm just spinning tires.

I'm not out to race anyone on the highway or win any dyno show offs. I just want the car to be what it is....a fantastic, well balanced machine.

Now, not saying the Turbo isn't most of those things either, it is a more complicated setup (imo)....the power is not as linear and it won't pass emissions in my state.

I guess when it's all said and done it's a personal decision. $$ wasn't one of the things I considered, since they are basically the same. I think if I still had my '91 it might be fun to turn it into some sort of turbo monster that I would go out and screw around in....but I almost feel as if a 550hp turbo car becomes something new....I doubt it has many of the same characteristics that originally drew me to the NSX.

but for my baby, my '03, I didn't want to mess too much with the original equation that equals NSX.

There are plenty of other cars out there that come with turbo's already on them that would probably be more fun to build up..... That's just me!

As far as SC whine, it's there...not very noticeable. I need the radio off to fully enjoy it.

You know they make turbo kits for the Ford GT to remove the SC. Would you do that to that car? Personally, at some point, you have to either take the car for what it is, or try and change it into something you think it should be. I think the SC stays much closer to Honda's original blueprint of the car.

All that being said, I reserve the right to change my mind, sell my SC and do a turbo build. (and that's the best part)

Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

there is no characteristic about the 997GT3 that is worse than an NSX. Even if the engine is in the back or weighs more, performance-wise its better in every category. Its also not even a fair comparison, the NSX came out in what? 1991? and the 997GT3 came out in 2007ish? And to the people who think the NSX is more reliable, well .. maybe if you had a brand new one, but no-one does. So that's a moot-point. I'd consider a brand new 997GT3 more reliable than a used NSX.

maybe the people i was driving against couldn't drive, but my stock e46 m3 with just MPSC tires easily destroyed 3.0L NSX's on the track (braking, cornering, accelerating). They weren't much faster than the AP2's out there.

dont get me wrong, i love NSX's, and they certainly destroyed anything porsche made in 1991.. but that was 1991.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
The best Porsche to compare an NSX to is a Cayman S. Price, layout, etc.

Otherwise, yeah, it's not much of a comparison.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

a better comparison is the last NSX Targa produced, vs the current 987.2 boxster s.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by split
a better comparison is the last NSX Targa produced, vs the current 987.2 boxster s.
I guess if you drive around with the Targa top off.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Ayrtonsennansx is infamous around these parts
Question for anyone...After putting an NSX on jackstands, then purposely lowering one of the jackstands by one click or in other words the car is sitting basically on 3 jackstands, I simply cannot believe how rigid the chassis is, it does not flex whatsoever...after owning 5 of these cars this is the one item that mystifies me.Is this typical of most cars in it's class???Thanks guys...

Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 AM
PeteV is just really nicePeteV is just really nicePeteV is just really nicePeteV is just really nicePeteV is just really nice
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Spec Miata, which I believe are at 200hp, race prepped on slicks, run in the low 1:40s at Laguna. No Miata ever turned a sub 1:30 at Laguna.
FYI, spec miatas are limited to suspension, tires/wheels, cage and weight reduction mods, they run stock engines and put down about 100hp at the wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: NSX vs. GT3