Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

NSX vs. GT3

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:35 AM
wapita is a jewel in the roughwapita is a jewel in the roughwapita is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
So at similar hp levels, if attainable, which one is the better car?
I own and track both. A 91 nsx and a 04 gt3. With similar power/suspension my personal preference the nsx.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 AM
stuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Billy, any update? 8 seconds faster is a light-year in terms of going faster than a 1:31. How much power and weight is that NSX?

IMSA GT3 Cup cars are 1:28s at best at Laguna for comparison sake.
Trust me I know 8 seconds is an ETERNITY. Keep in mind when that time was turned, it was the second weekend (and 3rd day) the car has EVER run, ever. The development of the car the past year alone has been unbelievable.

The car did a 1:18.555 at Willow Springs International Raceway (I believe Bill Auberlen did a 1:17 in the Ferrari of Washington ALMS GT2 car):

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...-09_687335.htm

At Auto Club Speedway Roval, we did a 1:36.103 the one-lap at the end of the day I got because we were swapping out our race transmission (which snapped an input shaft) for a BONE STOCK transmission with poor gearing, and NO LSD). We lost over 2 seconds on data from inside wheelspin in the tight corners on the infield. We couldn't put down our 700whp to save our lives without an LSD, and the track temps were dropping quickly as the sun went down.

1:33.7XX - Grand Am Daytona Prototype best lap
1:35.2XX - Grand Am Daytona Prototype avg. lap

1:36.103 - Billy Johnson FX Motorsports Development Acura NSX - 1st URWD

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...-09_720886.htm

DP's are about a second off of GT2 cars at Laguna Seca.

Redline Time Attack should be going back to Laguna Seca for 2010 so hopefully we'll find out!!!

Originally Posted by quiksilver55
A friend of mine is a very skilled 996 GT3 driver, and I put a lot of weight on his opinions in regards to my NSX. He's driven the car a few times, considerably faster than I'd be able to, but after I installed KW Variant 3 suspension, he was blown away by the improvement and said it only amplified the balance of the car, better than that of his GT3. That meant a lot to me.

His opinion is that the GT3 is faster, but harder to drive fast... requiring more skill. If you have the skill, get the GT3.... if not, you might have more fun in the NSX.

GT3 wins on power, but not all improvements to the NSX are in the engine bay...
I agree, my NSX and one of our 550whp turbo NSX customer cars have V3s and they do transform the car. I'm very pleased with this company and their products and weve used them on everything from NSX, S2000, 350Z, M3, Porsches, etc... I highly recommend them.

Billy

Old 04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
burbel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MotorsportsR
Not sure if it is that easy to shed 350+ lbs on a 2002-2005 model or 180+ lbs on 1991-1996. Everything on that car is aluminum. I can only think of removing spare tire, tire tools, engine cover, trunk carpets, floor mats, antenna motor, covert to light weight seats, light weight battery, and ???. IMO to achieve that 2800 lbs weight, airbags, a/c system, bumber, insulations on interior and undercarriage will need to be removed. If so that's not easy.
Old thread but wanted to chime in here. I didn't remove any of those items that you mentioned on my 1992 (well, some of the undercarriage coatings in the wheel wells from an overzealous pressure-washer incident). With digital corner scales and 1/4 tank of gas, I was sitting at 2750 pounds, and that was before my lightweight exhaust and headers went into the car. By the time I got that done, I also removed the trunk carpet, antenna (went to a stub), I figure I was damned near 2700 pounds, and still completely streetable. Rims were a big gain, as well (I went +2 and still shaved weight on both ends).

Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 PM
dxd
dxd is infamous around these parts
NSX vs GT3

I have both a 2002 NSX and a 996 GT3 and love both. I just bought an 87' Carrera that I absolutely love. I wanted to go a bit old school. Amazing how much smaller these cars are than the current 911's.

My dillema is that I do not have time to drive all of them and it is a true waste to have them sit in the garage and get driven once a week. I have come to the "hard" decision to sell either the GT3 or the NSX. I swore I would never sell the NSX just because I really love that car plus they are VERY hard to find in white and with low miles. I also love the 996 GT3 for a bunch of reasons as well. Last month I was set on selling the NSX and have a few people that really want it. I have not put out feelers for the GT3.

Let's get this thread going again and someone help me with this! Really having a tough time with the decision and pretty much always thought I would keep them all but I am forcing myself to move cars around just to drive them once a week. The GT3 will sell for about 60k as will the NSX. NSX cost 90k when new in 2002 and the GT3 120k in 2004.

Thanks for the input.... Picture attached

Originally Posted by Monaco
Was having a debate with a buddy. Which one is more of a driver's car? Which one would you prefer? Which one gives you a better driving experience? If you had the opportunity to buy either, which one would you get? Tough question for me.

NSX
Pros:
1.) Mid-engined
2.) Lightweight
3.) Reliability
4.) F1 Inspired
5.) Gearbox

Cons:
1.) Power

GT3
Pros:
1.) Large-displacement
2.) Power
3.) Pure Porsche experience
4.) Gearbox
5.) Lightweight
6.) Newer

Cons:
1.) Rear-engine layout

Aside from its rear engine layout, the Porsche seems to be the clear winner here, no questions asked, but I know SOS makes a stroker for the NSX and there are some mods out there. So at similar hp levels, if attainable, which one is the better car?

Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 PM
2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough
Guess it all depends on what you use the cars for.

The NSX as a street car is a much better street car than the 996 GT3.

IMHO the only reason to keep a 996GT3 is if you use it as a track car, most avid Porsche owners tend to cycle through cars frequently, so by now they are probably looking forward to the 991 GT3. If your situation was between a 997.1 GT3 or 997.2 GT3 and the NSX, then the choice would probably be harder.

I used to own a 97NSX for 6 years and a 04 996GT3 side by side with the NSX for about 18 months ended up selling the GT3 before selling the NSX eventually.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 AM
bluzlee is infamous around these parts
Hey DXD, I am a 4 times nsx owner myself. Also member of nsx prime too, and I saw your post at prime about selling your car last month. If I were you I will keep your nsx and sell the gt3. You can always buy another gt3 later if you want to, but I am almost sure you can't found another white low miles 02+ nsx. I was looking for one for a very very long time. I just gave up on looking for one.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:26 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
DXD, tough decision for sure... just think about what car you'd miss driving/ looking at.

as to which car i prefer, its clearly the NSX... not because its superior, just because i like it more. the GT3 is superior stock for stock and i'm sure the potential when modded is great, but that is a different thing. clearly you get it in regards to the NSX, but it does need mods to make me happy with it. nothing crazy... intake, headers, cat-back exhaust, short gears and type r final drive, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, and weight reduction. with such mods i'd still get killed in a drag race vs. a GT3, but on the track it'd be capable in the right hands. the NSX really shines as a cornering machine...

Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 PM
TTony is infamous around these partsTTony is infamous around these parts
Sell the GT3, it will continue to depreciate. Keep the NSX, it's not losing any value.

In the future, you can always pick up a better GT3 (997 or 991) but you can not get a better NSX.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
gt3, Im a Porsche guy...

Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
element256 is infamous around these partselement256 is infamous around these parts
Gen 1 NSX with NSX-R gearing.
You would be VERY surprised how good that car feels!

My brother has had a few NSX's and I wasn't impressed until his current one that had those gears. The thing just screams in mid range of speed.

NSX exhaust note > Porsche

You can VERY easily drop it to 2700lbs or less without sacrificing what the car is, a luxury exotic.

Over a 996 GT3 i say NSX.
If you can go 997 gt3 then obviously no comparo!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
s4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura about
I had the GT3 and was happy to sell it for the NSX.

I'm no race car driver or expert but to me I just like the feel of the NSX's driving position more as my weekend fun toy.

Just happy to hear the 20 year old NSX design can be compared to the GT3 which is truly a legend by itself no doubt. Can't go wrong with either car.

These car vs. car comparisons always are fun to discuss just like the GTR debate but in the end all of these cars have great points and weaknesses depending on what the owner wants out of the car.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 AM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
i'm comparing the NSX to a 997 GT3 RS, but the GT3 RS is pretty amazing in every way stock. the NSX can be great fun though with the right mods. honestly, if i weren't so enamored with the NSX, i'd go GT3 RS. both are similar in their mechanical purity, but the NSX muddies that by trying to be too comfortable. i guess more people like that than not. i don't.