Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

NSX vs. GT3

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
NSX vs. GT3

Was having a debate with a buddy. Which one is more of a driver's car? Which one would you prefer? Which one gives you a better driving experience? If you had the opportunity to buy either, which one would you get? Tough question for me.

NSX
Pros:
1.) Mid-engined
2.) Lightweight
3.) Reliability
4.) F1 Inspired
5.) Gearbox

Cons:
1.) Power

GT3
Pros:
1.) Large-displacement
2.) Power
3.) Pure Porsche experience
4.) Gearbox
5.) Lightweight
6.) Newer

Cons:
1.) Rear-engine layout

Aside from its rear engine layout, the Porsche seems to be the clear winner here, no questions asked, but I know SOS makes a stroker for the NSX and there are some mods out there. So at similar hp levels, if attainable, which one is the better car?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Wow its a toughie...I suspect there is no wrong answer if you are comparing the NSX-R or Zanardi Edition vs the GT3[996/997] in terms of pure drivers carness..So many variables though that I think it could come down to personal preference. Unless you add performance numbers to the equation then it definately tips in the GT3 catagory stock to stock.

Modded could be anybodies game....I have limited experience with the NSX and none with the GT3 but Id chose the 997 GT3 just based on the numbers.

Last edited by snakebitten; 12-04-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Revised No stroker kit or bolt on N/A parts on a NSX is going to get you 415HP. If we are talking about the 996 GT3 than it will be a closer race.
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Was having a debate with a buddy. Which one is more of a driver's car? Which one would you prefer? Which one gives you a better driving experience? If you had the opportunity to buy either, which one would you get? Tough question for me.

NSX
Pros:
1.) Mid-engined
2.) Lightweight All aluminum construction.
3.) Reliability
4.)
5.) Gearbox

Cons:
1.) Power
2.) tires are too narrow

GT3
Pros:
1.) Current Track Icon!
2.) Power
3.) Pure Porsche experience
4.) Big tail
5.)
6.) Newer

Cons:
1.) Rear-engine layout

Aside from its rear engine layout, the Porsche seems to be the clear winner here, no questions asked, but I know SOS makes a stroker for the NSX and there are some mods out there. So at similar hp levels, if attainable, which one is the better car?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 PM
TTony is infamous around these partsTTony is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MotorsportsR
Revised No stroker kit or bolt on N/A parts on a NSX is going to get you 415HP. If we are talking about the 996 GT3 than it will be a closer race.
The SOS 3.6L stroker kit dyno'd at 333hp, that's about 380hp at the crank assuming 15% loss (http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85793).

Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 PM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
I might be wrong but usually stroker kit will improve torque but not so much in HP at least not a 100hp RWHP just by increasing .6L. If it was that easy and with eveyone complaining lack of HP on NSX, Acura would have a 3.6L 1997 NSX with 380HP. Usually on stroker engine HP curve will get affected. Big stroke mean more torque but can't turn that fast which mean HP curve usually peaks out at a lower RPM! A good example is S2000 2.0L older model vs a newer 2.2L S2000. Torque increase, HP stayed the same but Honda drop the RPM Redline 1000.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 AM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Very tough decision. Both awesome performers in their own way, but, in the power dept the Porsche takes the cake.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I might be wrong but usually stroker kit will improve torque but not so much in HP at least not a 100hp RWHP just by increasing .6L. If it was that easy and with eveyone complaining lack of HP on NSX, Acura would have a 3.6L 1997 NSX with 380HP. Usually on stroker engine HP curve will get affected. Big stroke mean more torque but can't turn that fast which mean HP curve usually peaks out at a lower RPM! A good example is S2000 2.0L older model vs a newer 2.2L S2000. Torque increase, HP stayed the same but Honda drop the RPM Redline 1000.
The stroker doesn't account for 100rwhp. Here's more of a breakdown:

OEM 3.0 NSX = 230-235rwhp
Headers = 15rwhp
Exhuast = 10rwhp
Intake = 5rwhp
3.6 Stroker = 65-70rwhp
3.8 Stroker = Maybe another 15rwhp? You get diminishing returns here due to piston speeds with this much stroke.

Honda most likely didn't build a 3.6 or 3.8L engine because the components to build the engine are a lot more expensive than the 3.0 or 3.2. The piston speeds on a stroker are quite a bit more than stock and might not be reliable for 200k+ miles like an OEM engine (this is most likely the real reason).

Also, NSX performance is easily enhanced by weight reduction. I've noticed a better increase in performance from weight reduction than by adding power.

Stock NSX weighs in about 3100lbs. With "free" mods, that weight drops to 2850lbs. and it's pretty easy to get to 2700lbs. What does a GT3 weigh and is it pretty easy to remove weight?

Another note, when comparing stock vs stock... I've always thought that the Cayman S is a Porsche version of the NSX.

Hp is similar
High revving V6's
Weight is similar
Both mid-engined
Pricing similar

Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM
01blacks4 is infamous around these parts
i think you are all getting hung up on the power..here are some numbers these are 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. pretty damn close..

its alwasy funny to me that peopel say the NSX is a slow car when in 1991 they were doing a 13 second 1/4 mile, which is still considered quick.

2004 Porsche 911 GT3 4.3 n/a
2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 3.8 12.2 (MT Oct '07 Vol. 59, NO. 10)

2001 Acura NSX V6 4.5 12.9 (C&D TV 2001)
2002 Acura NSX 4.8 13.4

FWIW my NSX puts down 670 to the wheels, or over 700 @ the crank

Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 AM
I think in stock form 91-96 NSX are high 13's car and 97 to 05 are low to mid 13's cars. 97-05 are quicker mainly because of the lower gearing. The extra 20 hp? Hum..well it's another 20hp. No reason why 01 is faster than 02 models. I see you have 670hp so you must think stock NSX didn't have enough HP. I have driven multiple NSX, stock, auto, manual, 5 speed, 6 speed, comptech supercharge, headers, intake, and combonation of the above. Did you know in a 1/4 mile drag race, a stock auto trans 91-96 NSX with intake will lose to an auto trans 01-03 Acura CL-S with headers and intake? My friend was so pissed that he sold the NSX within a coupe months and got a manual trans with supercharge.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 AM
01blacks4 is infamous around these parts
I think in stock form 91-96 NSX are high 13's car and 97 to 05 are low to mid 13's cars. 97-05 are quicker mainly because of the lower gearing. The extra 20 hp? Hum..well it's another 20hp. No reason why 01 is faster than 02 models. I see you have 670hp so you must think stock NSX didn't have enough HP. I have driven multiple NSX, stock, auto, manual, 5 speed, 6 speed, comptech supercharge, headers, intake, and combonation of the above. Did you know in a 1/4 mile drag race, a stock auto trans 91-96 NSX with intake will lose to an auto trans 01-03 Acura CL-S with headers and intake? My friend was so pissed that he sold the NSX within a coupe months and got a manual trans with supercharge.
i have 670 because EVERYONE said it couldnt be done...FWIW i dont think i ever said the nsx couldnt use more power, just that people were getting hung up on that number while the rest of the numbers match pretty well.

and yes it is common knowledge that an auto NSX is weak..unless he cany use his legs, he should have never bought an auto

Old 12-07-2008, 12:58 AM
I think in stock form 91-96 NSX are high 13's car and 97 to 05 are low to mid 13's cars. 97-05 are quicker mainly because of the lower gearing. The extra 20 hp? Hum..well it's another 20hp.
Agreed. The extra 20hp is more a function of the improved header type design on the exhaust manifolds. Simply swapping the 3.2 manifolds on a 3.0 car results in a 10+ rwhp gain. Swapping a 6spd into a 3.0 car knocks almost a half second off the 0-60 and 1/4mile times alone. Similar improvements in acceleration can be had by running jdm 5 speed gears (without the tall @$$ infamous 2nd gear). Note that the NSX-R 0-60 time is 4.4 seconds and the 1/4 mile is 12.7-12.8 range. NSX-R's are about 200lb lighter and run a 4.23 final gear ratio giving them an edge over stock.

Did you know in a 1/4 mile drag race, a stock auto trans 91-96 NSX with intake will lose to an auto trans 01-03 Acura CL-S with headers and intake? My friend was so pissed that he sold the NSX within a coupe months and got a manual trans with supercharge.
NSX auto's are horrible stock, your friend should have researched them more before buying! They have only 252hp (vs 270hp for a 3.0MT and 290hp for a 3.2MT). Note they never made auto's with 3.2 engines. The auto's also have worse gearing than any MT also. Put that together and they are running low 14's.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
glowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to behold
Nsx

Keep in mind that the NSX changed from a 3.0 to a 3.2 mainly to compensate for the targa tops extra weight in later years (95+).

A 6 speed was added to improve 0-60 times. The car is about the same at 0-100. It is also faster if you change some gearing with a 5spd over the 6spd.

In the NSX world (Ill go out on a limb), if you want a "race car" most opt for the 91-94 with a hardtop and the 3.0. They are lighter, more rigid and easily modded.

I think the SOS numbers for the stroker motor are correct. SOS is a very reputable company and would not lie about such things. I believe this is true:
The SOS 3.6L stroker kit dyno'd at 333hp, that's about 380hp at the crank assuming 15% loss (http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85793).
The best part about the NSX is that it is a Honda. Virtually indestructable, even with mods. Alot of tuners out there that know what they are doing and tons of aftermarket performance mods available.

In the end it s a personal choice.

On a side note I think it is funny that newer sports cars still comparable to the NSX which was released in 1990. The NSX was truly ahead of its time.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 PM
doccao is infamous around these parts
GT3 - modern day track/street duties (but pricey) --> "I want one!"

Had a 996TT (stage2), but the NSX is far better track performer. Hp is nice, but does not mean faster on the track. With a SC or Turbo setup, the NSX is on par with every other Gt3/Z06/AMG/M cars on the track.

My choice: NSX (cheaper to mod and replace if I drive it into a barrier wall than a GT3). The driving position and midengine platform gives the best overall driver feedback IMO.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
So back to the question. Would you rather have a GT3 or a modded NSX with the same horsepower?

Last edited by Monaco; 12-09-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
GT3 hands down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: NSX vs. GT3