Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

2004 Supercharged Acura NSX vs. 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 AM
charleysung is infamous around these parts
2004 Supercharged Acura NSX vs. 997 Turbo

I have a 2004 Comptech Supercharged NSX that I have dumped about $40k in mods into. I have been considering the idea of selling my beloved NSX for a 997 Turbo. Anyone have any experience with both cars? Any input??

Pics of my car can be seen here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compt...item45f3febe00

Old 07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
I still love NSx this one looks great ! GLWS

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
+1. The NSX is extremely fun to drive. I haven't owned either, but I've driven both. The 997TT has a ton of useable power, that is easy to live with and use whenever you want. It is higher than NSX, so visibility improves as well.

I believe, overall, you'll be a LOT happier with the Porsche.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 AM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
I had a 95 NSX-T. I now have a 996TT.

I wish I would have kept my NSX forever. I like my TT, but I loved my NSX. You will regret selling yours, I promise.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ I'm curious... What about the NSX do you prefer over the 996TT?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
A few things:

Pros for the NSX:

1. I almost never see any NSXs where I live (Dallas), while I see 911s all the time.

2. The maintenance on an NSX is just like an Accord - once you find a good mechanic, they are easy to keep in tip top shape.

3. I had zero issues with my NSX - there are a lot of known issues on the 996TT that are basically design flaws and cost a lot to fix when they occur (IMS, coolant tank, clutch slave/accumulator, etc). Yes, there are a few repeating issues on the NSX, but none were major.

4. Since they aren't being made any more, NSXs seem to be creeping up in value (the good ones anyway), while the 996TT keeps dropping - good if you're buying, not good if you already own.

5. The ergonomics in the NSX are perfect. The Porsche is good also, but not as good.

6. The look of the NSX is much more exotic.

7. The mid engine design was so perfectly balanced that you felt like you were are on rails. Also, when you kick in to the VTEC up in the rev range and wind it out to 8k rpm, the shrieking 6 inches behind your shoulders is unbelievable.

8. Mods are much cheaper if you so desire.

9. Options on a 911 are so ridiculously priced it's laughable, and it's shocking what isn't included on a $130k car.

Cons:

1. It's hard to tell the difference between a 91 and an 05 - not much ever changed other than headlights.

2. Underpowered on a relative basis - needed more hp and torque.

3. Aluminum can be way expensive to repair and get it done right.

4. No back seat - the 911 is much easier to rationalize to the wifey.

5. Not much faith in the run of the mill dealership mechanics to work on, so finding a really qualified tech is a must.

6. Having people ask "is that the new Corvette?" can be a pita.

7. A lot of ricers see the NSX as the holy grail, so there are a lot of younger owners who have taken the JDM look way too far (in my opinion).

Just my opinion - I am on my 3rd 911, so I obviously like the Porsches too - I just wish I would have kept my Formula Red 1995 NSX-T with 50k miles on it and in perfect shape. Seller's remorse big time.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow... I find myself in complete agreement with you.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:52 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Well I do not own a 997 TT but I have had a supercharger on my 997C2S,heading towards the TPC turbo set-up and I did come from a nitrous injected,Gruppe M supercharged NSX.(stacy'snsx from NSX prime)
I miss the NSX because it was rare and as exotic feeling of a car as I could afford at the time.
I have to say that the Porsche seems to portray a more grown-up,well to do...car!
I do not think I would trade my Porsche for the NSX but would rather own both one day,LOL!
The two cars are completely different!

GL with your decision!

Stacy

Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 PM
bond525is is infamous around these parts
goodluck on the sale!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
burbel is infamous around these parts
I just wanted to agree with Stacy on this one - they are far more different cars than you would think. The NSX was definitely a true sports car, and IMO my '92 handled far better than the Porsche. Straight line the new Porsches are faster, though, and the new PDK is a great transmission (that launch control makes for some fast stoplight starts).

The Porsche IMO (I have an '09 C4S/PDK) is a grown-up, GT car compared the the NSX and the true sports car. When I was younger the extra couple percent that the NSX had in the twisties was what sold me. Now that I am older, the Porsche 911 refinements and the new tech (nav/bluetooth/etc.) sold me over the few percentage points lost in performance.

If you want to compare a Porsche to the NSX, imo, you need to be looking at the Cayman. When I drove the Cayman it was more confidence-inspiring and handled I felt far better (running it in Austin around 2222 and City Park Road). It was like a newer NSX - when you move from that to a 911/Turbo, you see what we are saying - it's not apples to oranges, but they are different.

Originally Posted by justatoy
Well I do not own a 997 TT but I have had a supercharger on my 997C2S,heading towards the TPC turbo set-up and I did come from a nitrous injected,Gruppe M supercharged NSX.(stacy'snsx from NSX prime)
I miss the NSX because it was rare and as exotic feeling of a car as I could afford at the time.
I have to say that the Porsche seems to portray a more grown-up,well to do...car!
I do not think I would trade my Porsche for the NSX but would rather own both one day,LOL!
The two cars are completely different!

GL with your decision!

Stacy