Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

928 successor (based on panamera platform)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vanquishv12
I still not getting it. Why is a lap time around the ring important. Please tell me why its relevant to anything. Theres like three GTRs at Starbucks every morning. Thats where its important? Its something to talk about over coffee. Give me a break. The GTR isn't being raced unless its the first to 'bucks. And by the way, I can pull into that lot and park my 66 Shelby smack in the middle and you don't even notice that the is a GTR even there. Parked. Nothings moving. I can do that in 1 second flat. Show me that at the Ring! Geez.
The ring number to me personally is like an MPG. I drove a Prius one time that supposedly gets 50MPG and averaged half that highway and city. Which is right? I am sure the Prius is capable of 50MPG with an old lady driving it. The ring numbers are just that ~ the ultimate performance expectation for given vehicle on the most dangerous and complex circuit in the world with the best driver. If some want to ignore this each to their own.

BTW I just realized the “new 928” is just a rebodied Audi S5 as is Panemera to Audi A8/VW Phateon and Cayenne is to Audi Q7/Touareg If you want to drive it early visit your Audi dealer today.

Panemera vs. A8
Length: 195.7 inches [3 inches shorter]
Width: 75.6 inches [1 inch wider]
Height: 55.8 inches [1 inch shorter]
Wheelbase: 115.2 inches [ 1/2 inch shorter]

Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
vanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to behold
Great! Back to the 928. Problem with the original was that it was boring. Faster with the automatic. It was the most mid atlantic car I have ever owned. Performance was flawless. I happened to like the looks. I loved the V8 and hearing it start up in the morning. It felt light years ahead of my 911. In all honesty I fought for that car. I've recommended more 928s than any other porsche because it was so user friendly. I have encourage a good friend of mine keep his and restore it. Its a wonderful car. I feel that as the market accepts the new front engined Porsches the original 928 will be redicovered and appreciated. I think acquiring an original 928 is going to be a good investment. Im hoping that the new 928 isn't so good at what it does it is in fact like the original a boring porsche that is somewhat generic.

Last edited by vanquishv12; 11-03-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Looks like Porsche is becoming to VW/Audi what Lexus is to Toyota. I expect that The new 928 will NOT be based on the Panamera so much as the RS5 with a V8TT or possibly V10TT. That would be awesome if the Gallardo/R8 becomes the next Carrera GT with Porsche like performance (and great ring numbers )

BTW another reason the ring numbers are so important (to me) is because there is typically NO WAY to test drive cars of this caliber off a dealer lot. The coolest saleperson I ever met with was at Hoehn Audi, German fellow, let me drive an RS4 after observing me for a few minutes. Typical salesman would have crapped their pants – no joke. Other exception is AMG factory sponosered “driving experience”. There is one being held at an airport this weekend. Anyone else going? I will be there.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by quartermile
The ring number to me personally is like an MPG. I drove a Prius one time that supposedly gets 50MPG and averaged half that highway and city. Which is right? I am sure the Prius is capable of 50MPG with an old lady driving it. The ring numbers are just that ~ the ultimate performance expectation for given vehicle on the most dangerous and complex circuit in the world with the best driver. If some want to ignore this each to their own.

BTW I just realized the “new 928” is just a rebodied Audi S5 as is Panemera to Audi A8/VW Phateon and Cayenne is to Audi Q7/Touareg If you want to drive it early visit your Audi dealer today.

Panemera vs. A8
Length: 195.7 inches [3 inches shorter]
Width: 75.6 inches [1 inch wider]
Height: 55.8 inches [1 inch shorter]
Wheelbase: 115.2 inches [ 1/2 inch shorter]
wow you really believe this? After seeing the body and structure you could not be more wrong. The entire suspension is made of aluminum as is the body. The car ran the ring faster than any other 4 door sedan in the world. So for your purposes it should be GOD!!! and if you read what others actually post you would know that given the same tires on it and the
GTR, the GTR may not pull on this bad boy. The 2 door version may just destroy the GTR, I know that the new pdk 911tt will for sure. And the tranny won't be left on the track.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
wow you really believe this? After seeing the body and structure you could not be more wrong. The entire suspension is made of aluminum as is the body. The car ran the ring faster than any other 4 door sedan in the world. So for your purposes it should be GOD!!! and if you read what others actually post you would know that given the same tires on it and the
GTR, the GTR may not pull on this bad boy. The 2 door version may just destroy the GTR, I know that the new pdk 911tt will for sure. And the tranny won't be left on the track.
Amen, brother!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
vanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to behold
VW will keep a large seporation between Audi and Porsche simply because of the connection with Lamborghini. The press will have a good time with that. Also we see where Porsche fits in the VW company line up. Its just to the north of Audi. They need to keep some distance or these two companies start to become one if they share platforms.
Regarding the looks of the 928. Personally I'm not feeling it. I do like parts but the sum is boring. This one has to be right on with a look that is correct the moment you see it. Think Aston Martin correct. I feel the rear renderings look like an Aston. Not a Porsche. Porsche can't seem to find their own rear style thats unique. Or have they? Hopefully porsches new rear I.D. isn't about being ugly. [Panamera]

Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
VW will keep a large seporation between Audi and Porsche simply because of the connection with Lamborghini. The press will have a good time with that. Also we see where Porsche fits in the VW company line up. Its just to the north of Audi. They need to keep some distance or these two companies start to become one if they share platforms.
Regarding the looks of the 928. Personally I'm not feeling it. I do like parts but the sum is boring. This one has to be right on with a look that is correct the moment you see it. Think Aston Martin correct. I feel the rear renderings look like an Aston. Not a Porsche. Porsche can't seem to find their own rear style thats unique. Or have they? Hopefully porsches new rear I.D. isn't about being ugly. [Panamera]
I like the front three-quarter view, but you are correct, the rear is all AM. Perhaps with the final edition they will have come up with something more Porsche-like. That said, I like the Panamera, but I hope this new car doesn't look like a Panamera with the rear seat section cut out and the big butt stuck back on.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Thumbs up

Where do you think Porsche got this Aluminum Space Frame technolgy? Audi has been developing that for decades. Why bother build a new frame when you already have one on the shelf. Simple as that.

I am not sure ring numbers for family sedans make any sense for us here in the US and personally could not see myself showing up at a track with a Panemera I was passenger on the Autobahn in CTT at 160MPH many times (very cool) so may be it makes sense in Germany and drove the CTT on track at Leipzig, it is a complete joke :-) Think dukes of hazard.

Last edited by quartermile; 11-04-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

i keep going back to these 928 photos.

Panamera: Poster child for "ugly".
928: Poster child for "gorgeous".

Even if i couldn't drive i would still want one.
Finally a new product from porsche that won't be justified as "porsche needs this to survive" product. Finally a true gt. Lately porsche has put sport utes and 4 door hatchbacks as a priority over a true gt offering. That was driving me nuts and had to go elsewhere for that. Hopefully they don't get all "form follows function" german on us and screw things up. Please!
:d:d:d:d:d

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Where do you think Porsche got this Aluminum Space Frame technolgy? Audi has been developing that for decades. Why bother build a new frame when you already have one on the shelf. Simple as that.

I am not sure ring numbers for family sedans make any sense for us here in the US and personally could not see myself showing up at a track with a Panemera I was passenger on the Autobahn in CTT at 160MPH many times (very cool) so may be it makes sense in Germany and drove the CTT on track at Leipzig, it is a complete joke :-) Think dukes of hazard.

where did porsche get the technology. My friend porsche has had the technology. But since you seem to know that the pana is an audi, go ahead and post the factual information that such is the case. I will believe it when I see it come from porsche or audi that such is the case.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM

"My friend porsche has had the technology."
It is a conjecture and the logic goes as follows: My Cayenne is very nearly an Audi Q7 so we know Audi and Porsche share frames. The only company in the world with Aluminum Space Frame (ASF) technology is Audi. Panemara is nearly identical in dimensions to an A8 and uses ASF. So it is plausible that Panemera must be based on A8 and an extension that the RS5 and the new 928 might share frames as well (and possibly motors.) It only makes sense.

I would very much like to know your explanation why you think Porsche independently developed the technology?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
It is a conjecture and the logic goes as follows: My Cayenne is very nearly an Audi Q7 so we know Audi and Porsche share frames. The only company in the world with Aluminum Space Frame (ASF) technology is Audi. Panemara is nearly identical in dimensions to an A8 and uses ASF. So it is plausible that Panemera must be based on A8 and an extension that the RS5 and the new 928 might share frames as well (and possibly motors.) It only makes sense.

I would very much like to know your explanation why you think Porsche independently developed the technology?
I would very much like you to prove your information because everything I read is to the contrary:

VW is already looking to Porsche for more platform sharing after its takeover of the German sports car brand.
According to Inside Line, Porsche will be sharing the Panamera platform with parent company VW, even though they had previously declared the intention of never coupling Panamera production with any other brand.
Sources would not reveal to Inside Line which VW brand the Panamera platform would be shared with, but did say that it was not Lamborghini.
VW has several other luxury brands in its pallet which could benefit from sharing technology with the Panamera, including Audi, Bentley and Bugatti. Each of those could theoretically use the four-seat, rear-wheel and all-wheel drive platform of the Panamera model. But no obvious choices seem to arise.
It could be a new model in development for a VW brand that has not yet been made public.
Porsche's Panamera range will be expanding in the coming years, before the model is expected to be discontinued in 2017. That includes a gasoline/petrol V6 in 2010 and a hybrid variant in 2011. Porsche may not offer a diesel Panamera, with the U.S. being one of its largest markets and one that is not yet receptive to diesel technology.

Source: InsideLine.com

Old 11-04-2009, 06:07 PM
I would very much like you to prove your information because everything I read is to the contrary:
Well like I said it is a conjecture, but since you put me on the spot like this here is the A8 chassis next to the Panemera. Keep in mind that the prespective is slightly different and they are different levels of finish. Compare the driver entrance and some of the main frame structure in engine compartment, etc. Also I would guess Panemra is closer to VW Pahteon since it is not full aluminum chassis the Audi is superior.

Did a little more search and the VW Phateon and Bentley seem to share the same platform. So in fact it appears Panemra=Bentley=Phaeton and Audi exclusively has the ASF. Please don't ask me to prove it is just conjecture

Attached Images  

Last edited by quartermile; 11-04-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Well like I said it is a conjecture, but since you put me on the spot like this here is the A8 chassis next to the Panemera. Keep in mind that the prespective is slightly different and they are different levels of finish. Compare the driver entrance and some of the main frame structure in engine compartment, etc. Also I would guess Panemra is closer to VW Pahteon since it is not full aluminum chassis the Audi is superior.

Did a little more search and the VW Phateon and Bentley seem to share the same platform. So in fact it appears Panemra=Bentley=Phaeton and Audi exclusively has the ASF. Please don't ask me to prove it is just conjecture

good, did you read the quote I put above. If you read, you will see that the technology in the panamara might be given to another VW company, either Audi, Lambo or bentley. Seems counterproductive to give Audi's technology back to them. Seems like it is not the same vehicle technology

Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 PM
TheUltraworld is infamous around these parts
I think it's great. The tail has a Aston look to it. The front looks a bit Cayman.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 928 successor (based on panamera platform)