Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Burmester Or Not to Burmester?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
You might just have to hear it to see what I'm talking about. I'd say it's a bit hot in the 3-5K range. It's not bad but playing material loudly that was mixed hot in the same range may get your attention (in other words be very fatiguing.) This is just nature of the beast for ATM type ribbon drivers especially if you're not physically below them, which in a car, is impossible. My ADAM's in the studio exhibit the same behavior when you stand up and listen to them vs sitting down. As long as you're below the ribbon drivers then it's fine. Also, we (Bob Hodas, a very famous room tuner, and I) had to do a bit of EQ on my ADAM's to relax them a bit in this area. Unfortunately the Burmester doesn't provide in equalization beyond straight broad band bass and treble.

The great thing about ribbons is they have incredible frequency response compared to a round cone driver. They are very open, transparent, fast, and extremely detailed. This provides a very open and extended soundstage. Well recorded orchestral or jazz fusion material will sound fantastic on this system. Burmester provided ample power which should enhance longevity too. The last thing you want to do is send a square wave into a ribbon driver. They can blow easily. I will tell you the system will flat crank. You will be crying uncle and doing hearing damage long before the system runs out of headroom...

I'm a bit concerned about the quality of highly compressed MP3 material when played back through this system. This type of compression tends to derogate the the mids and highs a bit, potentially worsening the above mentioned. Of course I would certainly hope most would be playing high quality CD's a good bit of the time especially after spending the cash for the Burmester. If not it's a bit like buying a 911 and putting 4-spare tires on it, never going to hear its real potential

Last edited by Ted; 02-10-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 AM
jimmyz2 is infamous around these parts
Thanks Ted, for your very accurate and informative posts about the Burmester/Porche system. I have custom aftermarket sytems in my BMWs, but I do have the new Burmester 089 CD/DAC/Preamp, and it sounds simply incredible. I also greatly admire your passion for recorded music and your studio is awesome.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ted
You might just have to hear it to see what I'm talking about. I'd say it's a bit hot in the 3-5K range. It's not bad but playing material loudly that was mixed hot in the same range may get your attention (in other words be very fatiguing.) This is just nature of the beast for ATM type ribbon drivers especially if you're not physically below them, which in a car, is impossible. My ADAM's in the studio exhibit the same behavior when you stand up and listen to them vs sitting down. As long as you're below the ribbon drivers then it's fine. Also, we (Bob Hodas, a very famous room tuner, and I) had to do a bit of EQ on my ADAM's to relax them a bit in this area. Unfortunately the Burmester doesn't provide in equalization beyond straight broad band bass and treble.

The great thing about ribbons is they have incredible frequency response compared to a round cone driver. They are very open, transparent, fast, and extremely detailed. This provides a very open and extended soundstage. Well recorded orchestral or jazz fusion material will sound fantastic on this system. Burmester provided ample power which should enhance longevity too. The last thing you want to do is send a square wave into a ribbon driver. They can blow easily. I will tell you the system will flat crank. You will be crying uncle and doing hearing damage long before the system runs out of headroom...

I'm a bit concerned about the quality of highly compressed MP3 material when played back through this system. This type of compression tends to derogate the the mids and highs a bit, potentially worsening the above mentioned. Of course I would certainly hope most would be playing high quality CD's a good bit of the time especially after spending the cash for the Burmester. If not it's a bit like buying a 911 and putting 4-spare tires on it, never going to hear its real potential
This post reminded me of this article:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/featu...ing-Music-1217

Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
I am looking at a car with the Burmeister but there is no indication of XM option. Is XM automatically encompassed in the Burmeister option. I certainly hope so. TIA.

Ray

Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 PM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
I found out the answer-NO. Isn't that ridiculous? $6000 stereo upgrade and satellite radio is not included. That is apparently why the car is available-somebody neglected to put it on the order.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by forgeahead
somebody neglected to put it on the order.
Now that just sounds like a BONEHEADED move. How does an order get through so many people (salesguy, sales manager, etc) with Burmester but NO satellite radio???

I can't remember the last time I listened to AM/FM...it's ALWAYS on Satellite, iPod, my very own V8 Exhaust note...

Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Yep, I actually saw one for sale the other day with no "Sport Chrono" but had EVERYTHING else. Wow... And yes, Burmester w/o at least sat radio is useless. The thing really only shows its pedigree with well recorded/masterd CD's.

Last edited by Ted; 07-21-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
HaliTurboFan is infamous around these parts
Lack of Sport Chrono doesn't surprise me...

It was probably ordered by someone who didn't want to keep explaining to their friends why they had a gaudy stop watch sticking out of the top of their dash...Does anyone know if Porsche will give you that option without that idiotic thing? I know it adds more than the stop watch but come on...

To reply to the thread, yes, buy the Burmester.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ted
Yep, I actually saw one for sale the other day with no "Sport Chrono" but had EVERYTHING else. Wow... And yes, Burmester w/o at least sat radio is useless. The thing really only shows its pedigree with well recorded/masterd CD's.
One of the dealers here in DFW (I won't mention which) has their 'Premium Build' that includes Burmester and Walnut, but no Sport Chrono. Just about every Panamera S/4S/Turbo is ordered this way unless it's a special order for a customer. In my mind, if I wanted a soft, cushy ride with wood all over the place, I'd go get a LS or S550.

Different strokes for different folks, right? To me, it's a PORSCHE...so I want it to drive and feel like a Porsche, not a Lexus.

Originally Posted by HaliTurboFan
It was probably ordered by someone who didn't want to keep explaining to their friends why they had a gaudy stop watch sticking out of the top of their dash...
Why would anyone need to explain anything on a $100K car, much less a CLOCK. Isn't the dashboard clock becoming a regular sight in 'Luxury' cars? Infiniti (not that they necessarily count) used to market theirs as a special feature. The S-Class, XJ and new A8 each have one. And there's nothing 'gaudy' about it. Just a clock on a dashboard. No sparkles, no ivory, just a clock...

I guess the explanation is rather "why don't you have the clock in yours?" I like to think of it as my 'Go Fast Timer'

Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Pardon my naivite, but how does one know which CDs are recorded well. I listen to primarily rock, alternative, and jazz.

TIA.

Ray

Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
I dont have a nipple in my dash..... Maybe I can glue one on? Would that count?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
you NEED a 1000w stereo!