Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli P Zero in the cold - getting loud "THUNKS"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:16 PM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
Pirelli P Zero in the cold - getting loud "THUNKS"

Had my Pany Turbo for about 1 and 1/2 week now. It's been colder than usual in the DC area with average tempeatures in the high 20s since I got the vehicle. From day 1, I noticed that when tires are cold, and trying to pull car out of the parking lot with the steering wheel turned (gets worse at full turn), the tires, both front and rear seem like they skip and you hear loud thunks. Once the wheel is straightened out, the noise and thunking feel is gone. Dealer tried to tell me it happens to every car, but I don't recall ever getting this feeling in my 997 Turbo with Michelin PS2. My Maserati QPS has P Zero Nero and I don't have this problem at all. Anyone else notice this?
My CA told me he spoke to the Porsche rep and was advised that this is normal...for a $150K car, I don't think this is acceptable.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
rich_daystrom is infamous around these parts
Same thing with my '09 C4S Cab.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
When car is really cold and I turn the wheel full over to pull out of drive way I have the same thunk in all my P-cars.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM
aottley is infamous around these partsaottley is infamous around these parts
Clunk on cold full turn

Same thing here with my Pany TT. I have the 20" Michelin tires. This has something to do with the car, not the tires. Do you have PDCC? May be related to that. I will discuss it with my service guy when I get my key issue fixed.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 AM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone, this helps explain the dilema. Glad to know all is ok. Strange thing is that I don't get this with wife's Maser. I guess no use in changing tire to Michelin at this point and just wait til weather warms up

Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Same thing here, backing out and turning tmump rhump thmup

thanks for the explanation link

+rep!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
datbol is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aottley
Same thing here with my Pany TT. I have the 20" Michelin tires. This has something to do with the car, not the tires. Do you have PDCC? May be related to that. I will discuss it with my service guy when I get my key issue fixed.
Did they fix that? Im having the same issue

Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
it only happens in the cold. Although it annoys me too it's normal.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Scott997
it only happens in the cold. Although it annoys me too it's normal.
I meant the key issue....I get a message saying key not recognized.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
To me it feels like the differentials binding. My car only does it when it is cold, first being driven, and the wheels are turned sharply at very low speed.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Key

Originally Posted by datbol
Did they fix that? Im having the same issue
The key issue has to do with radiofreqency interference. If you are in a populated area and using keyless go, the car may temporarily display "no key identified". Or even worse it will not start with the dummy key if it is off. The fix takes about 30min to install an inline filter on the immobilizer circuit.

The filter is VIN specific so your dealer would have to order it with your VIN number.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by aottley
The key issue has to do with radiofreqency interference. If you are in a populated area and using keyless go, the car may temporarily display "no key identified". Or even worse it will not start with the dummy key if it is off. The fix takes about 30min to install an inline filter on the immobilizer circuit.

The filter is VIN specific so your dealer would have to order it with your VIN number.
Thats exactly what happens to me and at one point my car would not start. It was a terrible experience to say the least.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Your dealer may take your VIN info over the phone and order the filter. It would save you one trip to them. Since my fix it has not happened again.