Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Entry & Drive (Keyless go) question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
Just test drove a Pany again this last weekend. I love the key and how it is inserted.

As for the keyless solution, I personally would not order it. IMHO Porsche heritage is BS, the dash is designed/built with the ignition on the left. It is cheaper for them to have all the dash boards to be the same, whether real key of plastic dummy fob. They could have just installed a button in the ignition hole in the dashboard to save money.

Just like the PDK buttons it is a little awkward. Not a deal breaker, just a solution designed as an after thought, IMHO.

Last edited by Schwabe; 01-25-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 AM
CorruptedSanity is infamous around these parts
I guess I am very used to the fact that each **** does the up/down shift function. It would feel awkward (to me) to use one paddle to upshift and another to downshift.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity
I guess I am very used to the fact that each **** does the up/down shift function. It would feel awkward (to me) to use one paddle to upshift and another to downshift.
it takes about 10-15 minutes for me to get used to the PDK buttons everytime I drive it... and eventually i'll just give up and use the gear lever

all my other cars have downshift on the left and upshift paddle on the right. only porsche have it all wrong....

especially when I'm in auto mode and it shifts up to 2nd for me and i wanna manually shift to 3rd, my instinct will pull the right paddle and on a PDK car, it resulted into downshifting into first

Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Crea
it takes about 10-15 minutes for me to get used to the PDK buttons everytime I drive it... and eventually i'll just give up and use the gear lever

all my other cars have downshift on the left and upshift paddle on the right. only porsche have it all wrong....

especially when I'm in auto mode and it shifts up to 2nd for me and i wanna manually shift to 3rd, my instinct will pull the right paddle and on a PDK car, it resulted into downshifting into first
Agreed....they have to come up with a patch for this. Give me paddles!!

Since this is my daily driver I have gotten used to the buttons but still seem to prefer to use the stick--completely opposite of my M5.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
its really hard for me to get used to the PDK shift buttons especially when I'm used to shifting with left for down and right for up for the past 10 years. either in video games or in my first automated manual (E46 M3) everything has been the same left for down and right for up.

BMW's regular steptronic paddle also sucked, but at least it was still pull for upshift and not push for upshift.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by andrewket
However, if I was carjacked the last thing I would want to do is disable the car a few hundred feet from me with a very angry criminal. Please get as far away from me as possible, thank you very much.

A
I would prefer to have him stopped dead in his tracks...what if a member of your family was still inside? --okay that is a bit far fetched but it would be a nice option to be able to shut the car down with the key FOB....who knows maybe it buys you enough time to source your back up gun from a poor holster location...like your ankle and turn the tables. It is always better to have options

Old 12-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Rajesh Amapiano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fantasma
Why didn't they just put a damn button? Boggles the mind...
Probably more cost effective to do it this way -- hence Porsches per car profit margin.
It is a traditional thing that pays homage to the old days of Porsche racing at Le Mans where the ignition would be on the opposite side of the gear lever allowing the driver to put the car in gear while staring it.