Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Entry & Drive (Keyless go) question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Mojosan is infamous around these parts
Porsche Entry & Drive (Keyless go) question

I ordered my P4S with Porsche Entry and Drive.

The dealer told me I still need to insert the key into the ignition to start the car. This makes no sence.

The manual says you turn the "Control Unit" if you have PED or insert and turn the key otherwise.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the "control unit" is? Perhaps I'm just missing it?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
there is a dummy key I believe.... I'm not experienced with porsche's system... since i didn't like the fact that i still have to twist to start the car on a keyless system

Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
It is a plastic dummy key that you leave in the ignition all the time. That allows you to leave the main key in your pocket and once you approach the car the car unlocks when you want to get in.

So all you do is use the dummy key to turn the ignition on.

But it would be great if there was no dummy key and we could just start the car with a Push Start button like most high end cars..

Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Neo
Neo is infamous around these parts
Or Nissan sentra's.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
Don't really mind the paddle; at least you can use to turn on the car without starting it - button would be "cooler" though.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Why didn't they just put a damn button? Boggles the mind...
Probably more cost effective to do it this way -- hence Porsches per car profit margin.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
its better then the newer benz... the keyless go is just a cap to cover up the original key hole

Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks Gents.

I RTFM and it looks like I'm missing the dummy key/control device.

I will say that I spent 30 mins or so last night adjusting all the cars settings to my particulars and it was much, much more intuitive than Mercedes setup and a fair bit better than BMW's as well.

Although I'm torn between having 40% ambient light and 60% ambient light in the car when I turn the ignition off. Problems, problems.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
dan993 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mojosan

I RTFM and it looks like I'm missing the dummy key/control device.

If you are missing the 'dummy key' or 'paddle' where the key normally goes (left side of the steering column for those non-PCar people) and you have to insert the key in to make it go, then you don't have Porsche Entry and Drive. The 'dummy key' is not removable, BTW.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 AM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dan993
If you are missing the 'dummy key' or 'paddle' where the key normally goes (left side of the steering column for those non-PCar people) and you have to insert the key in to make it go, then you don't have Porsche Entry and Drive. The 'dummy key' is not removable, BTW.

the Dummy Key is not removable?

It actually is! I was like how the hell do you take it out. My service guy did not know as well and found out you hold the key to the left for 10 seconds. Then you can take it out

Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Huh! My car isnt due till March, so I was going with what I had been told and seen on the test drives. I stand corrected.

Thanks for clarifying.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Found the dummy key in the glove box.

Attached are pics of the removable dummy key and the doorhandle showing the PED button, your honor.

Dummy key looks like it cost about $0.12. Jeez...it's molded plastic, could have at least put a little Porsche crest on there...

Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting the pics. Surprising that the dealer delivery didnt include installing the dummy key. I assume that with the dummy key not installed, the key fob key slips in and funtions normally?

You mentioned the lighting adjustments. Did you get the rear lighting package?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Did not get rear lighting. Almost did not get rear heated seats, but changed my mind at the last minute.

The main cabin light is a very large "U" shape over the center console. It is very bright and there are options for what % of ambient light (as well as the duration the light illuminates) in the control center.

Also, thankfully I RTFM because I forgot I ordered heated steering wheel and the button is behind the bottom spoke on the wheel, completely out of sight, and I would have never remembered.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 AM
sumat is infamous around these parts
i agree, Porsche should have knocked MBZ and went with a push button.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Entry & Drive (Keyless go) question