Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono in S/4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Sport Chrono in S/4S

I have a 09 C2S w/ PDK and Sport Chrono, and thought I wouldn't consider any P-Car without the Sport Chrono package (even 6-speed versions).

Well, the wife and I are considering a Panamera, and I just realized that all Panameras already come standard with the 'Sport' mode, and that the Sport Chrono adds the Sport Plus functionality (as well as the clock/Launch Mode).

Given the purpose of this car, I highly doubt that Sport Plus or Launch Mode would be of any use, but I wanted to ask the group what your thoughts are. I would probably use Sport mode almost exclusively (as I do in my C2S), but not sure if Sport Chrono is really a 'have-to' for this car.

Tell me what you think...

Old 01-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
resale value

Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
it does really add to the throttle and shift response on those times you want to have extra fun.

personal but imo it would be required on the S & 4S but not the tubo as it is just so fast ahyway.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Mojosan is infamous around these parts
I got it for resale as well.

And, to be perfectly honest, it looks cool.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
resale value plus it's really not that expensive of an option.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Just do it. The price is negligible and could make or break a sale down the road if you decide to sell it. Just ask all the folks who didn't get sport chrono on a 997 Turbo.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
+1 do it and have no regrets. I sat in a Panamera today, have to say it's growing on me. Definitely a nice car.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:32 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
You need the the sport plus option and the launch control is awesome

Old 01-31-2010, 04:26 AM
sethm2 is infamous around these parts
You are spending so much coin you should build the car correctly as this can not be added after.

How much are you saving cant be too much.

GL

Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Neo
Neo is infamous around these parts
As someone who plans on buying used in a few years I'd only buy a Pan with sport chrono. It's a must have option, more for better throttle response than anything else.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Good points all. I've been driving one over the weekend and find it hard to convince myself to have the Panamera without it. While the Sport mode is good, I have been driving it more often in Sport Plus, just to get back some of that aggressive feel of the C2S.

It boggles me how many S/4S in stock around Dallas don't have Sport Chrono, but do have the Burmester...

Old 01-31-2010, 01:13 PM
CorruptedSanity is infamous around these parts
mojosan, what looks cooler?

Also, whats the difference between sport & sport chrono other than launch control?

I am used to the 1 single post button on my 997 TT/

Old 01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Big mistake not to get the "Chrono/Sports Plus". This is when the S/4S comes alive... Unlike most other car's available performance modes, this one really does make a difference. I would never buy a used one, or a new one, without it. Now not having PDCC (in the Panamera specifically), or even more so PCCB, wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either new or used. Unfortunately some of what Porsche considers "options" are really necessities. For instance DON'T buy one without the rearview camera option. It's very hard to see out of the back of the Panamera. This should be included in the "standard" package for safety reasons...

I am glad it has a separate switch for "Sports Plus Mode". It would drive my wife crazy to drive or just be in the car if it was in this mode all the time, too jumpy for city driving. I don't even drive in "Sports" mode in the my '08 CTT while stopping/going in the city. Now the highway??? It's on all the time.

Last edited by Ted; 01-31-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
CorruptedSanity is infamous around these parts
mojosan, what looks cooler?

Also, whats the difference between sport & sport chrono other than launch control?

I am used to the 1 single sport button on my 997 TT.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
From Porsche's web site,

"Sport Plus Mode"

"Available as an option for the Panamera S is the Sport Chrono Package Plus (only in conjunction with Porsche Communication Management – PCM). This package offers even sportier tuning of the chassis and engine setup – the ultimate sports experience.

Included in the package are a digital and analogue timer, the Sport Plus button, and a performance display in the PCM for displaying lap times.

When the ‘Sport Plus’ button on the centre console is selected, the engine management system adapts for performance driving and the rev-limiter is adjusted to a harder setting.

The standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to ‘Sport Plus’ mode for harder damping and more direct steering, and, therefore, better road holding. The optional adaptive air suspension (standard in the Panamera Turbo) drops the chassis to a lowered level and hardens the spring rate.

In ‘Sport Plus’ mode, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised for increased longitudinal and lateral dynamics. Agility is enhanced when braking for corners with PSM enabling greater manoeuvrability under braking and exit acceleration, especially at low speeds.

For maximum dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in ‘Sport Plus’ mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required on both the front wheels.

A key component of the Sport Chrono Package Plus is the timer mounted on the dashboard. It displays recorded driving time in hours, minutes and seconds. Seconds, tenths and hundredths of a second appear on a display screen. Alternatively, the timer can be used as a conventional clock. Porsche Communication Management (PCM) has a special performance display to view, store and evaluate lap times or other driving times. It shows the total driving time, lap distance, lap number and lap times recorded so far. You can view the current fastest lap and the remaining range until empty. It is also useful away from the racetrack. Evaluate your daily mileage or define benchmark times – and rediscover your old routes.

For the Panamera 4S, and for the Panamera S when fitted in combination with the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), the optional Sport Chrono Package Plus contains even more functions.

The shift times in ‘Sport Plus’ mode are shorter, the gear changes sportier. In automatic mode and at low rates of deceleration – even with high engine speeds – the system initiates a swifter brake-induced downshift. In manual mode, gear changes are faster, more dynamic and more direct.

A special feature of this package that further enhances sporty performance is Launch Control, which is designed to produce optimum acceleration from a standing start. This function is operated via the Sport Plus button with the ‘D’ or ‘M’ drive position selected. With the left foot depressing the brake pedal, the driver fully depresses the accelerator for maximum throttle. The engine is revved to an optimum speed of around 5,500 rpm and the clutch is already held in slight contact. The message ‘Launch Control active’ appears on the instrument cluster display. Now, the driver simply releases the brake pedal, and prepares for maximum acceleration."

I can tell you from driving two different ones recently, you can sure tell the difference. It's about as significant as a "Stage 1" chip from GIAC, etc...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono in S/4S