Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window seal and Unlocking Car Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by globalm3
What if you have wheels what do you do about them getting scratched?
Are you asking about how aftermarket wheels survive a car wash? If so, most touchless washes do not have tracks that you have to maneuver through. Instead, you pull in and a buzzer will sound when the vehicle is in the correct spot. A computer than scans the car to verify where the sides/ends/corners are; no need for tracks that WILL scratch your wheels.....

I still do hand wash my car however most times I run it through the car wash first, take it home, hand wash it and then dry it off with a leaf blower b/c when you dry the car your putting scratches in the paint even if you use microfiber towels..... You can even keep a black car looking really good by taking care of the paint in this manner. BTDT many times.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LRDog
Are you asking about how aftermarket wheels survive a car wash? If so, most touchless washes do not have tracks that you have to maneuver through. Instead, you pull in and a buzzer will sound when the vehicle is in the correct spot. A computer than scans the car to verify where the sides/ends/corners are; no need for tracks that WILL scratch your wheels.....

I still do hand wash my car however most times I run it through the car wash first, take it home, hand wash it and then dry it off with a leaf blower b/c when you dry the car your putting scratches in the paint even if you use microfiber towels..... You can even keep a black car looking really good by taking care of the paint in this manner. BTDT many times.
Yes aftermarket wheels...
I didnt know touch less wash didnt have tracks

THANKS!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:59 PM
P4S2010 is infamous around these parts
I have 19" Turbo wheels and have had no issues.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:49 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by globalm3
Yes aftermarket wheels...
I didnt know touch less wash didnt have tracks

THANKS!
NP. Some have tracks and some don't..... You'll have to find the right one. GL.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by P4S2010
Hi All -
I seem to be having problems with my key. I have had to use the pull-out physical key to unlock the car (pushing the unlock button works sporadically.)

Has anyone else experience these issues?

Thanks.
I experienced this for the first time this past week. We drive the Panamera down to San Antonio, and the entire time the car had to be unlocked via the valet key. I actually replaced the battery while I was there, and it worked for a bit, but then went silent again. Once I got out of San Antonio, it worked just fine...been working fine ever since getting back last night.

What tells me that it's NOT the battery is that the car isn't giving me the warning message that the key battery is low (as per what the Owners Manual states should happen). I'm bringing mine into the dealer friday for some other work, so will ask them about it then.

It's a minor thing, but to unlock the other doors you have to open the driver door with the valet key, and then either insert the electronic key into the ignition or climb in and press the unlock button on the center console. And since I frequently open the rear hatch, it was even more of a pain since I'd have to open the drivers door to unlock it when all I needed to do was access the rear storage area.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Honored Member

W8MM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by W8MM
The little bit more I know about the key-less entry problem is that it might be solved with the new antenna amplifier design for the key receiver system. One of the complaining customer cars in Cincinnati (not mine) was fitted with a prototype of the new solution and it seemed to do the trick. I've e-mailed my engineering contact to try to get some more info.
The "antenna amplifier" upgrade (recall?) is the absolute cure for the "won't-unlock-with-the-fob" problem. I had them installed on my car (20 minutes) and the problem is cured. They come in pairs; right and left side.

It turns out that the problem is caused by the circuit design of the "amplifier module" (actually switched antenna matching network) that resides in the frame of the hatch. They connect to the glass defroster-wire antenna segments and pass on signals to the radio, key-fob receiver, etc. Everything works just fine until the car is locked and, after a while, the PCM and radio circuits nod off into "sleep mode" and remove power to conserve battery charge. That's why this problem only occurs when returning to the car (it's then asleep), not while locking to leave the car (still awake).

While asleep, the original design allowed some switching diodes connected to the antenna segments to go un-biased and generate lots of spurious signals if simultaneously exposed to high levels of RF energy and certain ranges of local FM radio stations. This combination of events generated interfering signals close to the 315 MHz key fob desired signals and blotted them out so that the car couldn't recognize the key fob actions.

I was told that the new circuit design incorporates varistors in place of the switching diodes which do not have the "crystal radio" effect when power is removed. The factory engineers think that the problem is an inter-modulation distortion issue solely involving unfortunate channel combinations of multiple, strong FM radio stations. I say bah. It's also likely in some places (Cincinnati for sure) that the problem is caused by a local 104.9 or 105.1 station when also illuminated by cell tower or paging transmitter energy at close range. In any event, by redesigning the "amplifier modules" to use varistors instead of the switching diodes, both prospective causes/situations are cured for good.

Tell your dealer to obtain and install the new radio antenna "amplifier modules" in your hatch glass frame and your problems will be over. The ones installed in my car were first article production units, so they should be available soon, if not already, in the Porsche parts system. I don't know if a TSB has been issued yet.

Last edited by W8MM; 07-01-2010 at 06:33 AM.