Sponsored by:

Window seal and Unlocking Car Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
P4S2010 is infamous around these parts
Question Window seal and Unlocking Car Issues

Hi All -

I picked up my P4S last Friday. I am very happy with the car but have noticed a few minor issues:

1. After taking the car through a touchless car wash, I noticed that there was water on the inside of the rear passenger-side window. The water seems to have come in through the top window seal.

2. I seem to be having problems with my key. I have had to use the pull-out physical key to unlock the car (pushing the unlock button works sporadically.)

Has anyone else experience these issues?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Robert John is infamous around these parts
unlocking

The remote access issue is well known. I have had all the campaigns to fix it including the installation of shielding. However, there is still an area in Boston near the BSO where some interference always blocks my key remote.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I did not know about the "interference" issue but that does fit the bill. I parked outside of the US Consulate when I had the problem this morning.

Do you have any documentation on this issue?

Thanks

Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Robert John is infamous around these parts
There is a campaign to install the shielding to reduce interference. Bring it back to your dealer for the repair.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
WHY DID YOU PUT IT IN A CAR WASH

Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
2. I seem to be having problems with my key. I have had to use the pull-out physical key to unlock the car (pushing the unlock button works sporadically.)
Have you checked the battery maybe there's your problem.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Spoke w/dealer. They already had installed the electrical interference filter on the car. However, they say this is a temporary fix and that Porsche is working on a more permanent fix. Very minor inconvenience - just don't park the car outside any US government buildings.

Re - the window seal issue - happened again today. Dealer aware and will fix soon.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:36 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Is this really a Porsche-only problem, or do other manufacturers have similar issues with the remote unlocking? I would think that these components are fairly standard across many auto manufacturers for no other reason that reduced supply chain costs. Other than the quality and aesthetic design of the key fob, I would expect the remote system to be similar to any VW/Audi and even go so far as similar to BMW. MB, Lexus if not Ford and GM as well.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Yes - Porsche only issue.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Found this post in the PCM rebooting thread:

Originally Posted by W8MM
... On another issue -- keyless entry failure to operate in certain locations -- I'm informed that PAG engineers are in Chicago testing a new antenna amplifier module for the 315 MHz key receiver that has the potential to completely cure any remaining issues with the Enter and Drive system. There are different places in Cincinnati where the system fails to operate correctly and the dash display says "Key Not Recognized" and sets off the alarm. Fun!

The first round fix (my car already had it installed from the factory) involved adding a filter between the antenna amplifier and the key module that rejected strong 104.9 or 105.1 MHz FM stations that produced an overload on the 315 MHz key channel via 3rd harmonic distortion. That took care of all the rural area problems with the keyless entry systems, but problems remain in big metro ares. My background if RF engineering makes me think the problem could involve 3rd-harmonic mixing in the 315 MHz key receiver being subjected to 929-932 MHz paging transmitters that are rife in large cities. I'll report what I find.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Honored Member

W8MM is infamous around these parts
The little bit more I know about the keyless entry problem is that it might be solved with the new antenna amplifier design for the key receiver system. One of the complaining customer cars in Cincinnati (not mine) was fitted with a prototype of the new solution and it seemed to do the trick. I've e-mailed my engineering contact to try to get some more info.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:35 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by globalm3
WHY DID YOU PUT IT IN A CAR WASH
It's actually a good idea between washes/detailing to run it through a good "touchless" wash. I have done it for years with our cars that get used regularly and it keeps the paint looking new and the wheels free of brake dust. It's also a great way to keep the underside clean and the paint stays free of the tiny little scratches you get from dusting it off or even hand washing it for a much longer period. I plan to do it with my P4S too.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 AM
LRDOG .. thanks for that! I thought I was just too lazy to wash the car manually.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by P4S2010
LRDOG .. thanks for that! I thought I was just too lazy to wash the car manually.
NP. Not lazy at all, it makes good sense to keep it up this way. I've prepped cars for PCA concours for years (now retired from that obession....) and I can tell you that it doesn't hurt the car at all. I've kept my dd this way for years and they look really good when I get rid of them at ~90k miles.... More should do this as there is nothing worse than seeing a high end German car with black wheels (from brake dust) and horrible paint b/c it's just not that hard to keep it looking decent.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 AM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
What if you have wheels what do you do about them getting scratched?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window seal and Unlocking Car Issues