Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera or new Cayenne......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 AM
03LX470 is infamous around these parts
I am pleasently surprised at how happy I've been with the Cayenne S over the last few weeks

Better visibility and height make it feel faster than it is. The tiptronic is just fine (i thought i would really miss the PDK) - the shifts are more than satisfactory in Sport mode and the 8 speed with 2 overdrives makes highway driving a pleasure. The ride comfort and room is amazing. I was really stuck on a CT but my sales person was nice to tell me that although he / dealership would make more money if I bought the turbo, the S would be more than satisfactory. I should call to thank him for saving me huge $.

Although I test drove both the S and Turbo prior to purchasing, the short test drive does not do justice to the S, or even the Cayenne in general vis a vis Panamera. It would not be a bad idea to rent it for a day or two in order to form an informed opinion.

The only technology opinion I really wish I had gotten is the PDCC.

I think I have now gotten over the rear looks and starting to see the shape and strong presence when it's parked. Just like the previous generation. I guess it's all about perception and looking at it daily on your street or garage.

However Panamera Turbo is another league...

Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AvusRS6
I agree..I have a Pana Turbo and was considering trading in for the Turbo S Cab and was offered only $100K. Decided to keep the Pana Turbo. I think I saw some on eBay for like $120s. I saw the Cayenne Turbo yesterday, while the front looks amazing the rear will take a little getting use to for me.

I too replaced a RS4 (I really hated this car actually) for the Pana Turbo and never looked back. Don't think I'll buy another Audi again...but then I said that after the RS6 and ended up getting RS4...so....
Sucks to hear that. I bought my PTT for mid-130's ($151k MSRP) with very low miles and thought it was a good deal.
I guess I'll pay better attention next time. Typical of slick-talking dealers, though. Awhile back I went to check out a Lambo and thought I'd trade my Bentley in. The sales manager told me he'd give me $72k for the car because of miles, needs tires, and he'd "be lucky to make much money on the car" at that. What irritated me the most was he probably forgot he had another Continental with similar miles and less desirable color sitting on the lot with an asking price of $95k.

Last edited by medici78; 07-05-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Richfield is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JenK
I keep wavering CTT or Pan 4S. Right now, the Pan is winning. I know the Pan's rear seats fold flat vs the Cayenne's that don't and I really only need a car. My dogs will fit in Pan just fine with covers on the seats of course! I am going to wait until the end of the year to buy. They are alot of Panamera's on dealer lots right now and I can see some nice discounts given I am trading in my 997. I only see 2011 Pan and Pan 4's on websites, I am assuming they want to clear out the 2010's before they bring in the 2011 S, 4S and TT.

Anyone know what discounts now on the 2010's? I know you can get 4-5% off a new Cayenne.
Jen when I bought my 2010 PTT a couple of months ago I was only able to get 3% off. Probably my own fault that I didn't get more... they knew I was head over heels for the car.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by medici78
Sucks to hear that. I bought my PTT for mid-130's ($151k MSRP) with very low miles and thought it was a good deal.
I guess I'll pay better attention next time. Typical of slick-talking dealers, though. Awhile back I went to check out a Lambo and thought I'd trade my Bentley in. The sales manager told me he'd give me $72k for the car because of miles, needs tires, and he'd "be lucky to make much money on the car" at that. What irritated me the most was he probably forgot he had another Continental with similar miles and less desirable color sitting on the lot with an asking price of $95k.
Agree, they were just being well, "them" as usual. Had they offered me 120K I would have sold it/traded it in. Wife was not too happy since she was under the understanding that we would be coming back in 1 car, instead, she had to drive the PTT home while I took the Turbo S Cab since she insisted she didn't want to "mess" it up...haha. Only issue with keeping the PTT is garage space. Wife won't give up the Sienna since she hauls our kids and niece and nephew, I refuse to give up my Range Rover since we do get some snow in the DC area and don't want to be caught with my "pants" down. I think I actually talked my wife into putting a lift in one of our garages.
They kept asking why I wasn't trading the car in...I told them literally, "duh". Paid 140s, and in less than 7 months which we really only put 4K miles on it, we're suppose to lose 40K+. I thought our Maserati was bad, sheesh...

Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 AM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
They offered you 100k that is redonkeylouse! I would say they didnt want the car and thats why they offered 100 to you. I would of told that dealer to put it up theirs and go somewhere else

Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 AM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
I keep wavering CTT or Pan 4S. Right now, the Pan is winning. I know the Pan's rear seats fold flat vs the Cayenne's that don't and I really only need a car. My dogs will fit in Pan just fine with covers on the seats of course! I am going to wait until the end of the year to buy. They are alot of Panamera's on dealer lots right now and I can see some nice discounts given I am trading in my 997. I only see 2011 Pan and Pan 4's on websites, I am assuming they want to clear out the 2010's before they bring in the 2011 S, 4S and TT.

Anyone know what discounts now on the 2010's? I know you can get 4-5% off a new Cayenne.
2011 Dont start production until Porsche reopen factory after their 1 month break. I would say they hit the dealers end of August maybe September.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:26 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by globalm3
2011 Dont start production until Porsche reopen factory after their 1 month break. I would say they hit the dealers end of August maybe September.
thanks, I am going to be watching! On the trade ins, I was offered 76 on my loaded 997.2 S CAB PDK that stickered at 122. Bad part, I am going to turn the dreaded 10k miles today and lower it even more! I want a not so common color as well. I did see a close up pic of the crystal green which looks awesome, but the car is too far away and no sports chrono. Good thing, I found 2 cars that I am interested in, GT silver/black and ruby red/black at a dealer only 2 hours away. Both are PS's and optioned fairly close to what I want. First mod will be replacing the wheels with HRE P40's!

Last edited by JenK; 07-06-2010 at 04:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Richfield
Jen when I bought my 2010 PTT a couple of months ago I was only able to get 3% off. Probably my own fault that I didn't get more... they knew I was head over heels for the car.
I have that 'disease for cars' as well, but I am being practical this time! I love your PTT!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:56 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
They offered you 100k that is redonkeylouse! I would say they didnt want the car and thats why they offered 100 to you. I would of told that dealer to put it up theirs and go somewhere else
Agreed. Thinking about it, it doesn't make sense. Its getting tough to find PTT's with the more desirable color options right now so I would be very surprised to find they are tanking in value.

As for the OP, I hate to admit, the 4S power actually left me cold. Considering you're coming from a C2S you might end up disappointed with the power/acceleration. I walked into the dealer hoping the 4S would be enough and it just didn't do it for me. The Turbo on the other hand, well, that's what's in my garage now.
Since power/acceleration is important to me, I would probably steer toward a CTT vs P4S if I couldn't come up with the extra $$$ for the PTT.
I was also surprised at how much road presence the new CTT has. Like the Panamera, it really doesn't photograph well. I finally saw a CTT on the road in Umber Metallic with 21" Turbo wheels and it looked

Old 07-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by medici78
Agreed. Thinking about it, it doesn't make sense. Its getting tough to find PTT's with the more desirable color options right now so I would be very surprised to find they are tanking in value.

As for the OP, I hate to admit, the 4S power actually left me cold. Considering you're coming from a C2S you might end up disappointed with the power/acceleration. I walked into the dealer hoping the 4S would be enough and it just didn't do it for me. The Turbo on the other hand, well, that's what's in my garage now.
Since power/acceleration is important to me, I would probably steer toward a CTT vs P4S if I couldn't come up with the extra $$$ for the PTT.
I was also surprised at how much road presence the new CTT has. Like the Panamera, it really doesn't photograph well. I finally saw a CTT on the road in Umber Metallic with 21" Turbo wheels and it looked
I did the same thing, I wanted the 4s since the site says its faster.... Park Place suggested I drove the S to see if I could notice a difference. I am extremely happy I did this. The S really feels like a sports car since the back end feels a little nibble and really can play around with the car. The 4s felt like it was too planted for me and to tame... Drive them both.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I did the same thing, I wanted the 4s since the site says its faster.... Park Place suggested I drove the S to see if I could notice a difference. I am extremely happy I did this. The S really feels like a sports car since the back end feels a little nibble and really can play around with the car. The 4s felt like it was too planted for me and to tame... Drive them both.
I have to agree, the S just feels better driving. Funny thing, my salesman seems to think the sleeper of the Panamera's which be the plain Pan because it's lighter and more agile. apparently, the V6 is just a shortened version of the V8, not a different engine. Maybe someone can clarify this? any event, I am going to drive the V6, but I am sure I will end up with the S.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
apparently, the V6 is just a shortened version of the V8, not a different engine. Maybe someone can clarify this? any event, I am going to drive the V6, but I am sure I will end up with the S.
huh? they're exactly the same in size...

Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by -AW-
huh? they're exactly the same in size...
I guess what I meant to say it's the same engine, just 2 cylinders short...V6 vs V8

Old 07-07-2010, 07:39 PM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
JenK, that's crazy that they offered only 79K for a 122K 997. I would eBay it if I were you rather than trading it in. The dealer wanted my PTT because they didn't have one on the lot. They had like 8 or so S and 4S from what I saw. Glad we kept the PTT because the wifey actually loves the car. Says if feels more solid and noticeably faster than her Quattroporte S we just got rid of. Plus the PTT ate less gas than the QPS.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by AvusRS6
JenK, that's crazy that they offered only 79K for a 122K 997. I would eBay it if I were you rather than trading it in. The dealer wanted my PTT because they didn't have one on the lot. They had like 8 or so S and 4S from what I saw. Glad we kept the PTT because the wifey actually loves the car. Says if feels more solid and noticeably faster than her Quattroporte S we just got rid of. Plus the PTT ate less gas than the QPS.
yes, actually 76k! I paid 109 for it last year during the sales events, but still, that's ridiculous!!! I am sure they'd put it on the lot for 90 or more! I am going to try and wait until year end, hoping to get a smokin' deal! I doubt there will be a rush of people wanting to buy a Pan and dealer inventory should be good with all the 11's I've been seeing. What's crazier, they offered you 100k!!! I'll buy it for 120, but I am glad your wife loves it! Now, about that Turbo S...pics???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera or new Cayenne......