Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera or new Cayenne......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:43 PM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
Panamera or new Cayenne......

I was really thinking about the Panamera 4S as a replacement for my Audi RS4, however after seeing the new Cayenne, I am hard pressed to justify $115k on a decently equipped Panamera 4S when for the same price I can get the new Cayenne Turbo.

What do you all think? Any input/insight appreciated.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 PM
dan993 is infamous around these parts
I replaced my RS4 with a P4S and am very happy. I never considered the Cayenne, regardless of price, as I have no need for a SUV.

The P4S is great fun to drive, faster than the RS4 because of the PDK, has great electronics and NAV. And much bigger, more comfortable.

I sometimes miss the RS4 as it blended in and few knew what it was (mine was Daytona).

Old 06-29-2010, 06:14 PM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dan993
I replaced my RS4 with a P4S and am very happy. I never considered the Cayenne, regardless of price, as I have no need for a SUV.

The P4S is great fun to drive, faster than the RS4 because of the PDK, has great electronics and NAV. And much bigger, more comfortable.

I sometimes miss the RS4 as it blended in and few knew what it was (mine was Daytona).
I need a vehicle with some degree of utility...hence a four door with reasonable trunk space.... a la the Panamera 4S. It just seems that the Cayenne Turbo gives you so much more for the money. Now if the Panamera Turbo was, say, within $10k of the Cayenne Turbo, I would just go for the Panny turbo, but at $40k more, the value just isn't there for vehicles that have greatly overlapping purposes, styling, capabilities, and both carrying the Porsche name.

The only reason I am waffling back and forth at this point is due to the obvious handling advantage of the Panamera along with it's very distinctive look and rarity compared to the Cayenne. The Cayenne turbo is quite a bit faster, however, and can be easily modded for serious power.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
not sure if you've considered, but i personally would wait 1 year for very lightly used Pan Turbo. Best of both worlds.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by S-B-D
I need a vehicle with some degree of utility...hence a four door with reasonable trunk space.... a la the Panamera 4S. It just seems that the Cayenne Turbo gives you so much more for the money. Now if the Panamera Turbo was, say, within $10k of the Cayenne Turbo, I would just go for the Panny turbo, but at $40k more, the value just isn't there for vehicles that have greatly overlapping purposes, styling, capabilities, and both carrying the Porsche name.

The only reason I am waffling back and forth at this point is due to the obvious handling advantage of the Panamera along with it's very distinctive look and rarity compared to the Cayenne. The Cayenne turbo is quite a bit faster, however, and can be easily modded for serious power.
i just went through the same problem & ended up going with the Panamera S. i waited to see the new Cayenne but can't love the exterior look. however, if u need the utility, i would go with the Cayenne Turbo for the money. i went with the Panamera because it's more fun to drive than the Cayenne, has PDK instead of regular automatic, and much lighter.

i can't justify the Panamera Turbo for dd, otherwise it'll be the winner.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Tyang5 is infamous around these parts
Its hard to pick on this one!!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
stevelms is infamous around these parts
Wow - I've been lurking here for some time becausse I have been going through exactly the same decision making process - including moving from an RS4! I guess this is as good a time as any to de-lurk and try to add something to the mix...

I test drove the Cayenne TT, P4S, and PTT as a first step, in that order. I didn't expect to like the Panemera and so after getting out of the 4S was suprised to find I wanted to understand what the TT was all about. I asked to drive the TT. Big mistake. I left the dealer with my head spinning but thinking I was getting a Cayenne. I was like you thinking for P4S money I get the 500HP, great handling, one-more-seat, more utility, etc. Then after a few days consideration and flip-flopping on what to do - in part driven by reading this very forum - I decided I was conflicted and better consider what I want and what need I am really trying to serve through this whole Porsche thing.... cause it ain't value and it sure ain't cost savings... So, I drove the Cayenne and Panamera TTs back to back... that really helped.

In the end, the Cayenne is a small SUV. It's an incredible handling - like shouldn't-feel-this-good and shouldn't-be-able-to-do-this kind of handling - beautifully appointed, very functional small SUV. I am sure it would probably feed my fun-o-meter but you definitely feel the size of the thing cornering after getting out of a Panamera TT. And, it is also pretty mundane or common in appearace - small SUVs are very common. I found myself staring at every SUV I'd pass in traffice thinking, man, that looks a little like it.

The Panamera TT is maniacal. I've only test-driven a 911 and never a Turbo, and so lack the experience to do a comparison justice but the Panamera does not have the 911's immediacy or feel, or of course, nimbleness. But it is more connected and fun to toss into corners then the Cayenee. The thing is a sports car masquarading as a 4 person sedan. Put another way, if you must carry 3 "human sized" passengers there simply is no equal that is as close to a sports car as the Panamera. In terms of visuals - it is the opposite of the Cayenne in that not only is there nothing like it on the street, you rarely even see one on the street, much less a PTT. It is unique, stands out, and is the opposite of "mundane".

In the end, I decided to feed the part of me that has always wanted, and not yet owned, a Porsche. The PTT is as close as I can get to the 911 Turbo I grew up with on a poster on my wall, and still fit my lifestyle and need to transport kids to school. It is distinctive and interesting in appearance, which I decided is a plus. It is more immediate and fun then the Cayenne, but of course not a 911. And, I decided I liked the distinctiveness. Being different is a risk I suppose, and pickign the Cayenne would certianly make me blend in more. But I'll vote Frost in this instance:

Two paths diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less travelled by. And it has made all the difference.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
From 2004 to 2009 I alternated between a 911 (sometimes a turbo, sometimes not) and a Cayenne Turbo. Whenever I had one, I missed the other. In 2004 I had both and used the Cayenne a little more. Little noticed by many, the 911 and the Cayenne Turbo got better every year, making the dilemma harder.

I was driving a 911 and missing a Cayenne Turbo when the Panamera Turbo became available. My take? Besides the obvious speed, handling and beauty (?) factors, the Panamera Turbo is the best of both worlds. It has the advantages of both and the disadvantages of neither.

If you need to ford shallow streams or tow a trailer or go off-road, the Cayenne is the one for you. If you don't, get the Panamera.

The Panamera is faster (motor for motor) because it is lighter and has a more responsive transmission. It also gets better gas mileage. It has a "presence" on the street that has no equal short of a Rolls or Bentley. The Cayenne is cheaper, stands up to a comparison with any other SUV, and is a comfortable, high-quality and practical vehicle for both casual and formal occasions.

I would not have any trouble choosing a vehicle between these two. It would be the Panamera, but I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone that chose the other.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
excellent analysis by steve and jmmk.

PTT is the best of the above choices if money is not an issue. I will even pick the PTT over a 911 turbo, it is that good.

P4S vs CTT is very tough to pick, depending on whether you want more passenger room and trunk space (favors CTT), or handling and unique style (favors P4S). Straight line acceleration both should be very similar.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jmmk
I was driving a 911 and missing a Cayenne Turbo when the Panamera Turbo became available. My take? Besides the obvious speed, handling and beauty (?) factors, the Panamera Turbo is the best of both worlds. It has the advantages of both and the disadvantages of neither.
Except for that damn missing 5th seat.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I'm sure the day will come where I'll need space for 5, but for now, I'm glad to say the Panamera fits all I ever need. In fact, took it from Dallas to San Antonio for a 5-day weekend with the wife, daughter, ALL of their luggage, my two bags, and my golf clubs. It was packed, but it fit without anything sitting on the luggage cover or blocking my view.

Best roadtrip I've ever made...

My vote would always be CAR over SUV, but I do see the dilemma. Porsche claims that the new CTT can beat a 911 around a track, if that's the case, I assume it would also outrun a P4S. There's no other way to decide other than to drive them back/back and let the seat of your pants tell you what it thinks.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by notquitefob
not sure if you've considered, but i personally would wait 1 year for very lightly used Pan Turbo. Best of both worlds.
I agree..I have a Pana Turbo and was considering trading in for the Turbo S Cab and was offered only $100K. Decided to keep the Pana Turbo. I think I saw some on eBay for like $120s. I saw the Cayenne Turbo yesterday, while the front looks amazing the rear will take a little getting use to for me.

I too replaced a RS4 (I really hated this car actually) for the Pana Turbo and never looked back. Don't think I'll buy another Audi again...but then I said that after the RS6 and ended up getting RS4...so....

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by medici78
Except for that damn missing 5th seat.
Very true indeed. Luckily we have a Range Rover SC for the 5th person duty and a Sienna when our niece and nephews come over. Sometimes it's tough because we'll have both our kids in the Pana Turbo and we'll need to give someone a lift and we can't. Forget about even lugging the kids in the Turbo S Cab. The rear seats are more upright than the Coupes. Actually I think it's like 5 degrees leaning forward.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i drive in real winters and that has so far stopped me from swapping out the GTS for a panamera - the ground clearance with the GTS air suspension is something like 9 inches plus at peak.

i still say the panamera has more rear storage utlity than any cayenne; also a lot easier to drop a back seat for a flat floor.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:33 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I keep wavering CTT or Pan 4S. Right now, the Pan is winning. I know the Pan's rear seats fold flat vs the Cayenne's that don't and I really only need a car. My dogs will fit in Pan just fine with covers on the seats of course! I am going to wait until the end of the year to buy. They are alot of Panamera's on dealer lots right now and I can see some nice discounts given I am trading in my 997. I only see 2011 Pan and Pan 4's on websites, I am assuming they want to clear out the 2010's before they bring in the 2011 S, 4S and TT.

Anyone know what discounts now on the 2010's? I know you can get 4-5% off a new Cayenne.

Last edited by JenK; 07-05-2010 at 05:35 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera or new Cayenne......