Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera V6: Thumbs up or Down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GoldenPEPPA
ahhh no, actually the 955 used the VW 3.2L "VR6" engine and the 957 and the Panamera use the 3.6L VW VR6 engine... the VR6 is a very well respected design and is both sturdy, powerful and efficient.

But no fear... they're both VERY good engines and most here will acknowledge that the VW sourced engines have had less issues than the PAG engines like coolant tubes, oil use and such...
errrr..... only the Cayenne still uses the VR6, Panamera gets its own V6

Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Richfield is infamous around these parts
I had a chance to drive (on a track) the 6-cylinder RWD Panamera yesterday at a Porsche Driving Event.

I was *very* impressed with the car. Accleration, handling and braking far exceeded my expectations.

At the end of the Event, we all got "hot laps" with the Porsche driving instructors behind the wheel. Awesome. The Panamera V6 and Cayenne S slugged it out every lap, with no clear winner.

I don't know where the car sits in terms of "value for money" in its class, but I would have no problem owning one (but I'm not giving up my Panny twin turbo).

Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
copasetic222 is infamous around these parts
I test drove the Pan 6 and the Cayenne S last week on city streets and highways and I can tell you that the Cayenne S had significantly stronger acceleration.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Leeor
too slow for me
+1

Had a P2 for a loaner and initially thought it was a P2S and wondered why the V8 was so sluggish and slow (had a hard time passing a Honda Civic doing 65 and accelerating). Figured out it was a V6 and was thinking to myself what a big mistake Porsche made.

There are always pluses with the minus. Handling was superb, steering felt light (my loaner had Servotronic or something like that). Exhaust was quiet, gas mileage was not noticeably better than my PTT.

To each his own.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Finally drove one - thumbs up

The car had a great ride with the standard suspension. The V6 is great around town and adequate on the highway. the high rev double downshift at highway speeds is a little uncharacteristic.

But the car was $91k with few options....Pricey for a 6

DRP

Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Siswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really nice
I had an interesting experience when I bought my car

My wife and I went to Champion to try out the Panamera and the 911.

I wanted to limit my expense to under $100k so the Turbo was out of the question. We first tried the 911S - lovely car - great response - insane sound, loved the sensation, but ultimatley felt that a 2-door would not be practical. (don't you hate that practical gene!)

So we then took out the Panny S for a test drive. I was immediately so disappointed with the terrible acceleration that I cut the test drive short and came back to the show room.

Of course I was expecting the 911S to be significantly faster than the PannyS but this was a DOG compared to the 911S. Also I was coming off my second AMG 55k motor (supercharged) first an E55 followed by a CLS55 - both of these cars have run 12.1 at Moroso in stock condition so I have been accustomed to great acceleration.

I told my salesman how disappointed I was with the Panny, and that I was heading to MB to get an E63, and as a throwaway line, he said, "why dont you take the PannyS for a drive".

"Isnt that what I just drove?" I asked

"No, that was the Panny 6"

Jumped in the Panny S and instantly liked the car. Decent get up and go, not as much as the AMG 55k motors, but still fun. What a difference compared to the 6 - not even close

Ended up taking the S and SO pleased I didnt take the Turbo for a drive as I am sure I would be devastated at the difference.

Last edited by Siswati; 08-31-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Dr Chill is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Siswati
I had an interesting experience when I bought my car

My wife and I went to Champion to try out the Panamera and the 911.

I wanted to limit my expense to under $100k so the Turbo was out of the question. We first tried the 911S - lovely car - great response - insane sound, loved the sensation, but ultimatley felt that a 2-door would not be practical. (don't you hate that practical gene!)

So we then took out the Panny S for a test drive. I was immediately so disappointed with the terrible acceleration that I cut the test drive short and came back to the show room.

Of course I was expecting the 911S to be significantly faster than the PannyS but this was a DOG compared to the 911S. Also I was coming off my second AMG 55k motor (supercharged) first an E55 followed by a CLS55 - both of these cars have run 12.1 at Moroso in stock condition so I have been accustomed to great acceleration.

I told my salesman how disappointed I was with the Panny, and that I was heading to MB to get an E63, and as a throwaway line, he said, "why dont you take the PannyS for a drive".

"Isnt that what I just drove?" I asked

"No, that was the Panny 6"

Jumped in the Panny S and instantly liked the car. Decent get up and go, not as much as the AMG 55k motors, but still fun. What a difference compared to the 6 - not even close

Ended up taking the S and SO pleased I didnt take the Turbo for a drive as I am sure I would be devastated at the difference.

Ahhhh, but the V6 makes a great wife's car!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Siswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really nice
Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Ahhhh, but the V6 makes a great wife's car!!!
Not for wife it wont - first thing she said when we squirted the loud pedal on the I95..... "damn this is slow"

But its all relative. Inside they are very similar. Outside there is no real difference. Only a few will be able to tell them apart.

First thing I did with mine (even before I left the dealer) was debadge the car - removed the Porsche and Panamera badges from the rear. Dont want the attention on the road or in the parking lot. Crest on the hood has to stay as it is in a recess.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Soly is infamous around these parts
I didn't like the idea of having a V6 on the Cayenne and I still don't like the idea of a V6 on the Panamera. It just makes the Porsche look too weak.
In my opinion a Porsche is about power, a sports car, even if its disguised in a 4 wheel or a luxury sedan chassis.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 PM
P Henry is infamous around these parts
Let's see, from Porsche official figures.....

Panamera (V6) with Sport Chrono 0-60: 5.8s (6.0 without...rare I suppose)
Panamera S (V8) with Sport Chrono 0-60: 5.0s (5.2 without)

You must have one finely tuned butt-accelerometer.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Dr Chill is infamous around these parts
I like the V8 better, but ordered the V6. It is still pretty powerful, gets better gas mileage, has higher residual value on lease, and price is much more palatable. Is it really worth $15,000 for PASM and 2 more cylinders?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
About two months ago had a chance to test drive both the P2 and P2S. I was looking for a car for my wife that I would occasionally drive also. The acceleration was not impressive on the P2S and the front end felt too heavy. The V6 had a much more agile feel and the acceleration was acceptable for the kind of driving expected of this kind of car.

I would say the V6 is a much better value overall.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by P Henry
Let's see, from Porsche official figures.....

Panamera (V6) with Sport Chrono 0-60: 5.8s (6.0 without...rare I suppose)
Panamera S (V8) with Sport Chrono 0-60: 5.0s (5.2 without)

You must have one finely tuned butt-accelerometer.

Thanks for the complement - in fact I think I do. But I promise you that if you drive both back to back, ANYONE will immediately tell the difference. Just sayin.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the complement - in fact I think I do. But I promise you that if you drive both back to back, ANYONE will immediately tell the difference. Just sayin.
agree with you that the V8 feels and is definitely faster than the V6.

there is a reason why the V8 costs more, as you are paying more for the slight advantage in acceleration.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
V6 85k
V8 100k

If you can afford it it's worth it. Acceleration difference is huge after 40, not so much off the line.

Hard to say best car for it's value when your taking 15k and you get s bigger motor nicer wheels and a few more options.

Resale value we shall all wait and see

My .02