Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on ceramic brakes.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:52 PM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
Questions on ceramic brakes.....

1. how much is the actual weight savings?

2. Are they durable/suitable for winter use?

3. does it make a noticeable difference in the driving dynamics of the car?

I have pretty much decided that I will be getting a P4S to as one vehicle to replace both my '07 RS4 and '06 Cayenne S and I'm trying to configure the car. Thought about the turbo too, but cost will limit my ability to customize the turbo, and, also, this car will be a daily driver that will see new england winter conditions. As such, the turbo just feels "over-the-top" to me.

So, I would appreciate any feedback on my brake questions as well as the notion of the turbo as a daily driver. if you had to chose between a "bare-bones" turbo and a totally customized and loaded 4S as a daily driver (winter included), which is the way to go?

Last edited by S-B-D; 07-05-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I can't help you with the PCCB question, but given the choice, I'd take a relatively base Turbo over a loaded S/4S any day, no question.

Porsche has proven to build reliable Turbo engines, so that shouldn't be an issue. The PTT comes with a host of items that are options on the S/4S (Leather Interior, 14-way seats, Bose, etc) plus you get the MONSTER performance. Just don't forget the Sport Chrono for scare-the-hell-out-of-everyone fun...

Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Richfield is infamous around these parts
I have to agree with the previous post: I would take a "base level" Turbo over a loaded 4S.

Now as to the question you actually asked about the brakes: the "standard" brakes in the 4S are pretty amazing. Unless you're planning to take the car to the track, I would not spend money on the composites.

Cheers!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:02 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
I've had 3 997 911's with ceramics and one without. I've also had a 360 Ferrari without, a Challenge Stradale with and a 430 Ferrari without. All stop perfectly and excellently. The brakes on all of them are way ahead of the brakes on "ordinary" cars.

But to me, the advantage of ceramic brakes are not stopping power, but stopping feel, and vastly improved and noticeable handling and ride. Reducing unsprung weight does wonders for handling. And, on washboard roads, you track up and down, never losing contact with the road, and always having control in both steering and braking. Even the ride is smoother.

As an added bonus, the wheels which are usually the first thing to show dirt after a wash, remain free of brake dust and the clean looking wheels last as long as the rest of the car.

Unfortunately I failed to get them on my Panamera Turbo and that's the only thing I miss. I don't know how much better they would be, but if it is as big a difference as it is on the 911's, I probably messed up.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I would choose a base turbo over a loaded P4S too. Many of the options you would need on a P4S is standard on the turbo. You just have to digest the cost difference in the base price between the two. As for the brakes, I don't think PCCB's are necesary on the Pan. If brake dust annoys you, just swap out the brake pads to Hawk HPS pads. Hardly any dust! Almost as good as the ceramics when it comes to brake dust...