Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a 4S loaner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
Got a 4S loaner...

While I know the Turbo is naturally going to be faster, the 4S feels very underpowered for a 400HP car. No offense to any 4S owners.
The loaner did come equiped with Servotronic so the steering makes the whole car feel very light. Handling I couldn't really tell since the 4S did not come equiped with Air Suspension nor Sport Chrono so even with Sport engaged the car would start off in 2nd gear. The car does seem quieter than my PTT on highway cruises. The rear seats did not have climate controls (is this optional on PTT as well?). But LOVE the silver with spyder wheels...my PTT is Cabon Gray with turbo2 wheels...while I like the Turbo2 wheels, the Carbon gray is getting "old".

Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I recently tracked a new Cayenne S and from my CTT I felt the same way. FWIW

Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
****CORRECTION****

The loaner is actually a Panamera4.

The car was a new car off the lot that they are probably making a demo, gave me as loaner. The window sticker was still in the car but didn't bother to look at til today.

Was driving on the freeway, and was passing an accelerating Civic and I was not passing with ease at all. That prompted me to look at the Window sticker as it dawned on me that there are V6s now and the sales manager did make a comment that the Pana was a 2011. Sure enough it was a V6.

Now it all makes sense. I recall driving a PanameraS and recall it being peppy and this car was utterly slow. I'm sure the 4S is actually noticeably way faster than what I have.

One key observation...Porsche GOT this ALL WRONG. The V6 is WAY underpowered for this heavy body and the window sticker was reading $93K. If I was spending that much it surely won't be this car. Makes me wonder why Porsche even did this.

I realize why the car was turning with such ease, it's way lighter than my PTT Turbo I'm guessing.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Forgot to add, gas mileage seems noticeably worse than my PTT as well...doesn't sound logical but I had a 1/2 tank of gas when I left the dealership and driving about 100 miles it was almost empty.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AvusRS6
Forgot to add, gas mileage seems noticeably worse than my PTT as well...doesn't sound logical but I had a 1/2 tank of gas when I left the dealership and driving about 100 miles it was almost empty.
It's possible. The Cayenne V6 was no better on fuel economy than the V8 models due to the fact it had to work that much harder to move the mass.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 AM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
I was wodering too, what's the point of making a V6. It seems that they are merely trying to please the masses. They hope that there is a market of those who don't care about the power but think they're making a difference. Think about the $41k chevy volt.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Standard gas tank on the V6 is smaller than standard gas tank on the Turbo.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by forgeahead
I was wodering too, what's the point of making a V6. It seems that they are merely trying to please the masses. They hope that there is a market of those who don't care about the power but think they're making a difference. Think about the $41k chevy volt.
The point is not everyone need to drive their street cars at 10/10 all the time.

The point is some cars are meant for carrying passengers comfortably and speed is not a priority.

The point is if you already have other fast sport cars in your collection, another fast sedan in your stable probably won't excite you as much as your sport cars anyway, so why spend more money just for the engine. Might as well let your wife spend (waste) it on shoes and handbags.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
The point is not everyone need to drive their street cars at 10/10 all the time.

The point is some cars are meant for carrying passengers comfortably and speed is not a priority.

The point is if you already have other fast sport cars in your collection, another fast sedan in your stable probably won't excite you as much as your sport cars anyway, so why spend more money just for the engine. Might as well let your wife spend (waste) it on shoes and handbags.
I see what your saying but the V6 isn't cheap. If you start adding options your in Panamera S territory. I'm told the V6 is suppose to appeal to women drivers who have never owned a Porsche. Only time will tell if this was a good idea or not.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ophtho
I see what your saying but the V6 isn't cheap. If you start adding options your in Panamera S territory. I'm told the V6 is suppose to appeal to women drivers who have never owned a Porsche. Only time will tell if this was a good idea or not.
You're absolutely right, our Pan4 is my wife's car.

Price is relative. I would still rather have an optioned Pan4 than a base PanS. Straight line acceleration there is no big difference between the two on paper.

For the same price of Pan4, you can get Mercedes S, BMW 7 or Audi A8. None of those interest us at all.

Can spend less money and get Mercedes E or BMW 5. Again they don't appeal to us either.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
This is just a shot in the dark but can't it have something to do with the new emission laws? They are based on the average of the whole model range so if a car company has a co2 blaster of an engine they also need a tree friendly one to balance it out. However Porsche has some nice little Cayman and Boxter engines but still.
I don't think it's the only reason but it could be one of many.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
The Pan4 I had was just awful slow. The PanS I test drove is night and day faster than Pan4 from what my butt dyno was telling me. The Pa4 I had carried a window sticker of 93,995. Had blue leather, sypder wheels, front and back parking sensors, Sat radio, and probably some other stuff, but surely not worth 94K by no means. I think the PanS prices out about that range with similar options.

But like Targa Tim said, it's not for everyone. I will admit that it still did get a lot of attention from other drivers.

It is way smoother and quieter than my PTT. Also I noticed that the A/C in the Pan4 didn't blow out air nearly as strong as my PTT, I wonder if it's because of the engine size.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
well for places like HK. most Panamera owners will drive their car at an average speed of 40km/h, the V6 is more then enough to crawl thru traffic. the price difference might not be huge in the states, but in HK, the V6 model is close to half a million dollar cheaper then the V8 models.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
i think it's funny to think that a $93k car is meant 'to appease the masses'....masses of whom, lawyers, doctors and investment bankers? it's probably like the pepper 6 cylinder, porsche wants a slower, technically more efficient option for those who want the porsche label but don't need/care about the speed....time will tell.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:03 PM
hack is infamous around these parts
...the 'rich' masses! Beverly Hills soccer moms!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.