Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestions whether to get servotronic or not to from those who have it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Dr Chill is infamous around these parts
Need suggestions whether to get servotronic or not to from those who have it.

Need to decide shortly because I am ordering in a few days.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
no

i am sure i saw a car mag review that complained about it as well.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
I have it and it doesn't make a difference to me either way. Its nice in parking lot situations and I don't perceive any numbness that it could cause when the road gets twisty.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
I DEFINATELY feel a difference. The "twisties" whatever. I have been going back and forth on getting the PTT and one drive 1 love it next "something's" missing. Yesterday I drove 1 and asked the salesman if it have servotronic and it didn't. Steering totally is impacted at steady speeds and slight curves. I am an avid enthusiast and driver. Would NOT buy the PTT, and won't, if it has the servotronic
Side note the PTT does also NOT need pvt and pddc (sport package)
And would recommend an aftermarket exhaust as porsches "sport" exhaust is a joke IMO

Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 AM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
I have the servo as an option, and while I do find it numb when at low speeds, after 60-80 it feels composed again. It's definitely a breeze while parking and maneuvering at low speeds but you do get the "disconnected" feeling then, you hit the gas and then it's a lot different. On the highway at reasonable speeds it's very well planted, and on the "twisties" I feel it more composed that my understeer prone 997TT.

The PDCC I would say it's a most, but I've always had it so I wouldnt know if you did not get it. Car is a lot more trustworthy IMHO than my 997, call me stupid if you will, maybe the extra weight plants it more? The 997 was pretty "light nosed" when pushed hard, this car you can barely feel the weight, maybe thats the PDCC at work.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
I ordered mine without it and I love it, steering wheel feels just right now, its too light and numb with servotronic.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Mojosan is infamous around these parts
Sorry, But Servotronic is one of those "steepen the depreciation curve" options.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Sorry, but have to desagree with you on several counts. Servotronic is an excellent option and after driving it in the beginning asked my wife if our Audi power steering was broken. It is excellent in everyday situations. If I want a sportier feel to driving I select the sport or sport plus button, which makes the steering more direct. Would I take it, probably not, as would spend my money on sc and powerkit, but now that I have it, I love it. If you have the bucks, its a nice option.

PDCC itself is not a biggie, but it brings with it the LSD and PTV which I bet are major factors in traction on slippery surfaces. In a Cayenne a PDCC is a major benefitor in better driving dynamics. Watch what it does on youtube.

Last edited by kip; 02-21-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
"if u it the bucks" lol. It's $270.
And it definitely hurts the sporty feel the the drive and feedback. Enough said

Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
I find it interesting people have such a strong and passionate opinions after a couple of test drives. And similar strong opinions on depreciation.

For some it will be a great option to improve their daily driving situations. That is the beauty of Porsche if you are the buyer and you order, then you get to check the boxes on what suit's you best.

I can't really comment as I have only test driven a PTT and a 4S (dealer let me keep each overnight and I put about 100 miles on each one over the same weekend). The PTT had servetronic the 4S did not. Both were great cars and i did not notice a big difference in steering once moving along, but a difference in parking lot work. I had a GTS on order at the time but after driving both back to back liked the power of the PTT better.

I have a PTT ordered and did check the Servtronic box, so I found this an interesting thread and will be interested to hear more feedback from those owners who have it and those who don't or even better someone who has had 2 cars one with and one without and their contrast one to the other.

In my case my car is locked so it can't be changed. My guess is it will be just fine and will be appreciated in daily life especially by my wife.

The steering will not be like the M5's I have daily driven since 1988. But this car offers so many other features and greater comfort that overall I think it is the best sport luxury "street" car you can buy and I will be happy when mine arrives.

As for a steeper depreciation curve... my guess on that one is color, options and condition will likely play a far bigger role in your re-sale value and time to sell than Servetronic. No question an educated Porsche enthuiast who doesn't like it won't buy the car, but the next 9 buyers likely will if well cared for and has color option and condition they are looking for.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I am sorry, but I believe this thread was meant for actual users. I dont give very high points for opinnions made on a test drive. This is affected by tire condition, wheel size, tire pressure etc. No one also commented how the steering feels in sport or sport plus mode. Does the steering really feel numb in sport plus mode? I havent noticed vs 997tt. I have driven mine for 6 months and based my opinnion on this. I think this is similar to pdk vs manual. Some people dont like the machines intervening. I can tell you that driving 90s AMGs would not be possible with 500bhp, I saw my friend wrap one with 300 bhp around a tree. We need the machines intervining.

When it comes to the M5, BMW has the best steering feel of saloon cars, but Porsche is a sportscar and in its own league.

Last edited by kip; 02-22-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kip
I am sorry, but I believe this thread was meant for actual users. I dont give very high points for opinnions made on a test drive. This is affected by tire condition, wheel size, tire pressure etc. No one also commented how the steering feels in sport or sport plus mode. Does the steering really feel numb in sport plus mode? I havent noticed vs 997tt. I have driven mine for 6 months and based my opinnion on this. I think this is similar to pdk vs manual. Some people dont like the machines intervening. I can tell you that driving 90s AMGs would not be possible with 500bhp, I saw my friend wrap one with 300 bhp around a tree. We need the machines intervining.

When it comes to the M5, BMW has the best steering feel of saloon cars, but Porsche is a sportscar and in its own league.
Kip, what do you mean by how the steering feels in sport or sport plus? I did not know you could drive the car in normal mode...

Sequence of a typical Porsche day:
- Get breakfast
- Get car keys and walk towards subject
- Get close to the subject and rub your hand on its handle, subject will acknowledge and open itself up (petting)
- Locate subject's ignition firing mechanism (conveniently located for lefties, german's way of thinking different) and rotate it clockwise, until subject starts screaming and fuming. Immediately (milliseconds later) after this follow the next step
- This is the most important step, pay attention
Locate in the center console a button called "Sport Plus" (oh yeah!) and put your left index finger on it, locate the stick coming out of the center console (rather large and weirdly looking like a - ask your female companion) and put your right hand on it. Once at this level, synchronously push the button AND move the stick to the left, all this while at idle.
- Wait for the subject's rush to settle a bit and drive off, while maintaining the subject's RPM's in the low side until temperature reaches couple hundred degrees.
- Enjoy your subjects abilities and power while driving to work or to the marina or to your mistress' house.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
kcturbo is infamous around these parts
I have a PTT with the servotronic steering. At first I thought I was going to hate it, as the steering felt so much lighter than my prior daily driver (an RS6) at slow speeds. Within a week I was totally used to it and now do not notice it at all, even when I go back and forth between my Panamera and my 911. It would not be a deal breaker for me either way. I would be happy with a car with it or without it.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 PM
kip
Originally Posted by MIA997TTBeast
Kip, what do you mean by how the steering feels in sport or sport plus? I did not know you could drive the car in normal mode...

Sequence of a typical Porsche day:
- Get breakfast
- Get car keys and walk towards subject
- Get close to the subject and rub your hand on its handle, subject will acknowledge and open itself up (petting)
- Locate subject's ignition firing mechanism (conveniently located for lefties, german's way of thinking different) and rotate it clockwise, until subject starts screaming and fuming. Immediately (milliseconds later) after this follow the next step
- This is the most important step, pay attention
Locate in the center console a button called "Sport Plus" (oh yeah!) and put your left index finger on it, locate the stick coming out of the center console (rather large and weirdly looking like a - ask your female companion) and put your right hand on it. Once at this level, synchronously push the button AND move the stick to the left, all this while at idle.
- Wait for the subject's rush to settle a bit and drive off, while maintaining the subject's RPM's in the low side until temperature reaches couple hundred degrees.
- Enjoy your subjects abilities and power while driving to work or to the marina or to your mistress' house.

Sadly I learn how to use normal mode every 6months when the snow starts falling in october and doesnt go away before april...

And our summer is not that dry too...

Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
hummerchine is infamous around these parts
I have absolutely no basis for comparison, but my 2010 4S came with servotronic and the steering is totally awesome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions whether to get servotronic or not to from those who have it.