Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me weigh the pros and cons 2011 cayenne turbo vs 2010-2011 s vs turbo panamera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Question Help me weigh the pros and cons 2011 cayenne turbo vs 2010-2011 s vs turbo panamera

Okay I'll be brief since it's a post from the phone and I'm watching the US open...
Currently have a 2008 cayenne gts.
I have a brain problem where if I don't get the best I feel I'm missing something or I'll he disappointed. It's a serious problem but that's how it is. Now forget what I just said when deciding how to lend advice.
I like the space in the cayenne with a suv capability and a car performance. Live in CO.
How is the panamera s vs the turbo? Meaning will one be disappointed in the S vs the turbo? Then compare whichever of those to the new cayenne turbo.

I'm torn. Currently leaning towards cayenne but that's because I'm familiar with the gts, just disappointed in the acceleration part of the performance.
Living at altitude a turbo might be the better option. We are a family of 4.

Thanks for all input positive and negative for both.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:06 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
No offense to S owners, but on the test drive, the S left me cold. I ended up with a Turbo.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Obviously the difference between the s and turbo is noted, but is the car a superior handling vehicle over the cayenne or comparable?

Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 PM
copasetic222 is infamous around these parts
I suffer from the same "disease" you mention you are afflicted with. That's why I have an '09 CTTS. But, I've had it two years and I'm getting antsy.

I've driven a Panamera Turbo and the 6 cyl (way too underpowered for me) and the '11 Cayenne Turbo and S. I'm leaning heavily to the Cayenne Turbo. I'm tall and long in the torso and there is just more overall room in the Cayenne and I fit better. I can tow with it (although I probably never will) and I live in snow country and it will be better in the winter.

Fredttx50, who often posts and has had some VERY hot cars, says he has had 5 Cayennes, a Cayenne Turbo S and a Panamera Turbo and he loves the new CTT, which he describes as a "Panamera on a lift".

Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 AM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
Oh, how I can relate to the OP's disease. I own a PS and have driven a Cayenne turbo quite a bit. For where you live, I vote to stay with the Cayenne GTS or Turbo. Any where major snow is not a major consideration, definitely Panamera. I, too am long boned () and the Cayenne is a bit easier to slide into rather than drop into. Nevertheless, I like sports cars so that is not a problem for me. Personally, I think driving around in deep snow feels like it is beating on a car a bit and the Pan feels like a sports car that I want to take better care of. I didn't get the turbo for $ reasons. I didn't even drive it because I knew I would be hooked (back to the OP's brain affliction!). I will likely trade up in a couple years.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
The V8 models of the Cayenne and Panamera use the same engines. The Panamera is considerable lighter than the Cayenne, so it will definitely outperform the Cayenne, motor for motor. Likewise, the Panamera uses the PDK dual clutch transmission while the Cayenne uses a more conventional, torque converter style transmission. The Cayenne is set up for five passengers, the Panamera for four. All Cayennes are all wheel drive, the Panamera offers some two wheel drive versions. The Panamera is more expensive than the Cayenne. The Panamera, so far, is all Porsche. The Cayenne shares many components and systems with the Volkswagen and Audi. There are some compromises there but it helps hold down the cost.

If I lived in Colorado, I would want the extra ground clearance of the Cayenne. Since I live in Texas, I chose the Panamera for the better performance and handling. That's not to say the Cayenne is deficient in either of these parameters, just that the Panamera is superior.

Since you have a GTS, you are familiar with the advantages of the Cayenne. The newer Cayenne is, however, much lighter and somewhat roomier than the older model. This is a step up in both performance and ride, as well as handling. New options improve other aspects of the upgrade. Driven professionally, the new Cayenne Turbo has approximately the same on-track performance as the 911 Carrera S.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
jace - ground clearance and real winter snow levels are why i still have the GTS - i suspect the Panamera would do 90% of winter though

Turbo Pano is all i would get - the performance package makes the turbo a good deal - the gear levels are such that imo i found 2nd & 3rd were amazingly useful in the turbo, but always seemed to top out in the 4S.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I went from a S63 to the 4S and lost about 115 hp in that move. If I wasn't trying to be fiscally responsible I would have gone for the Turbo for sure. The 4S is fine but the pure guts of the hp is sorely missed.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:05 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
based on your comments....YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TURBO.

I am biased against lifted cars like the cayanne, which is a VW platform, and encourage you to skip it and go with the fully Porsche engineered Panamera. You will know with certainly that you have the best....for the time being.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:38 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by falb
based on your comments....YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TURBO.

I am biased against lifted cars like the cayanne, which is a VW platform, and encourage you to skip it and go with the fully Porsche engineered Panamera. You will know with certainly that you have the best....for the time being.
True

Old 09-19-2010, 02:38 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
You are a gts owner, so you might live without the turbo punch. Personally I would go for the Turbo or Hybrid S choice. Panamera vs Cayenne is a simple sedan vs SUV question. No one can deside for you...

Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Touareg and Cayenne share the same platform but this platform was developed together (Porsche had more influence on the chassis development than on the last generation) and the rest (~75%) is truly Porsche DNA.
i think the main reason to go for the Panamera is the performance aspect.
It is simply a sports car with 4-doors. The new Cayenne is much more of a sporty all terrain, family car with more space for the kids and ur luggage.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM
JAX GT3 is infamous around these parts
Size is quite similar

I was surprised at how little difference in stowage capacity there is between the Cayenne and Panamera.

The Panamera has more back seat space (although only for 4 vice 5).

The cayenne has a little more trunk area, but not a vast amount more.

Depending on what you use the space for, the Panamera is pretty close to the Cayenne.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 PM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 2011 CTT. It is a great vehicle but it is still a suv. I recently drove a PTT and that thing was crazy. I will be trading the CTT for the PTT.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Brav is infamous around these parts
When was the last time you took the GTS off-road and needed 1 foot of ground clearance? if you cant answer that, get the Panny. SUVs arent really needed for 90% of owners. More of a style thing. I do really like the new Cayenne.. but there is no comparison with a real car. The PTT will do just fine in the snow/wet. I dont think you will be forging huge snow banks?

As mentioned.. we cant decide for you. Just be realistic as to what you really want and how you will really use the vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me weigh the pros and cons 2011 cayenne turbo vs 2010-2011 s vs turbo panamera