Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD/DVD changer option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM
howardrobin is infamous around these parts
CD/DVD changer option

I ordered my Panamera with the Burmester sound system. Most of my music will come from my iPod or XM radio. Is there really any need for the 6 disc CD changer option? Does anyone have experience with this option and do CDs sound that much better than the iPod. I guess there is no down side to ordering it except for the money.

Thanks,
Howard

Old 09-16-2010, 06:33 PM
JAX GT3 is infamous around these parts
Old School

Seems pretty 'old school' to me. Few people even use CD's anymore!!

My preferences are:

XM
iPhone's iPod
DVD Audio

Just adds more complexity and future repair expense.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
unless there is a way to "hot-wire" the DVD player to work while driving I wouldn't worry about it. I just burn everything to a small USB stck and plug it in my glovebox.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dhh
unless there is a way to "hot-wire" the DVD player to work while driving I wouldn't worry about it. I just burn everything to a small USB stck and plug it in my glovebox.
I ordered it with the intent to do just that...But even when stopped the DVD player will only play sound...It's great if you have a DVD from a concert...I have a few and they sound great!!! I'm going to have my guy take a look and see if he can get it to play video. Saw some youtube vids of some Panamera DVD player actually showing video while driving...have no idea how complex the process is

Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Richfield is infamous around these parts
In my opinion you can find better things to spend your money on than the CD changer.

For me the Burmester sounds best with DVD Audio, at least on the disks I have, and I'm sure they're very dependent on the all the things you might imagine.

I don't know this for certain, but my guess is that CD changer will happily play back either CD Audio or DVD Audio, just like the single disk head unit will.

All sources sound good, but I'd put XM Radio at the bottom of the list. My iPod library is mostly 256 kbps AAC stuff and it sounds about the same as good-reception FM radio. Caveat to all this: my ears are 48 years old and have been abused at rock concerts, on drilling rigs, and with headphones turned up too loud.

Hope this helps. I think there are a couple of big-brained audio engineer types on this board that might be able to add some clarity to the audio source question.

cheers,
a *very* happy 2010 Panny Turbo owner

Old 09-19-2010, 02:19 PM
jdhodge is infamous around these partsjdhodge is infamous around these parts
Cd's will always sound better than an Ipod. Music compression will cause a loss of the some of the lows and highs that were originally recorded. The sound system you are thinking about ordering will sound much better when Cd's are played. It's a technical fact, old school or not.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 PM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
CDs do seem to have better fidelity. Nevertheless, it is certainly a hassle to carry around a bunch of cds (even with a changer). I, therefore, keep a cool CD in my single player and have thousands of selections on my i-pod dedicated to the Panamera.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
The 5.5 gen iPod sounds best with the Wolfson audio Chip in it. Just rip your music apple lossless and it will sound phenomenal. I actually think the ipod with non-compressed audio sounds better than a cd, maybe secondary to better audio processing, and if you use the rock equalizer setting versus the head-unit adjustments. It is very close either way.

Last edited by Botox; 09-23-2010 at 10:17 AM.