Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat Fogging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:30 PM
RichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the rough
Guess I'm just going to live with it (for the time being). Porsche NA has refused to exchange the car because "it is not a warranty issue," and repainting the hood may only lead to other issues. This was my second new Porsche purchase. It will undoubtably be my last! Anyone interested in purchasing???

Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RichS2010
Guess I'm just going to live with it (for the time being). Porsche NA has refused to exchange the car because "it is not a warranty issue," and repainting the hood may only lead to other issues. This was my second new Porsche purchase. It will undoubtably be my last! Anyone interested in purchasing???
You didnt mention if you tried what was suggested.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM
RichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rossii
You didnt mention if you tried what was suggested.
Spoke to the Dealer, who in turn spoke to their Body Shop, and they strongly advised against applying heat with either heat lamps or a heat gun. The Dealer said that if the application of heat caused damage that Porsche would not stand behind its offer to repaint. Porsche NA Representative is now saying that it is not likely moisture or a palm print, but, it is the way the metal flake was put down that is causing the problem - "there may have been an air current that caused the metal flake to lay differently in that area." Porsche Rep. also said that "I had a unique car and should be pleased" - wtf? Like goes on. I'm probably going to put this car behind me and go back to MB.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Spoke to the Dealer, who in turn spoke to their Body Shop, and they strongly advised against applying heat with either heat lamps or a heat gun. The Dealer said that if the application of heat caused damage that Porsche would not stand behind its offer to repaint. Porsche NA Representative is now saying that it is not likely moisture or a palm print, but, it is the way the metal flake was put down that is causing the problem - "there may have been an air current that caused the metal flake to lay differently in that area." Porsche Rep. also said that "I had a unique car and should be pleased" - wtf? Like goes on. I'm probably going to put this car behind me and go back to MB.
Heat or no heat, IF they offered to spray it again then it really shouldn't matter what you do to it at this point. Only Porsche would say something like that, SMH. I would try the heat, just sayin...

Old 10-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by ophtho
Heat or no heat, IF they offered to spray it again then it really shouldn't matter what you do to it at this point. Only Porsche would say something like that, SMH. I would try the heat, just sayin...
Thanks. I may try the heat. Just need a little time to fully decide what I want to do if the heat does not work. I definitely will not repaint.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. I may try the heat. Just need a little time to fully decide what I want to do if the heat does not work. I definitely will not repaint.
Can you post a picture Rich? It may be moisture under the clear or it could be factory blemish...the latter is highly unlikely as Porsche has one of the best final inspections and quality control of any manufacturer in the world.

Also, if a reputable shop is painting it, dealer recommendation doesn't always mean they're the best, you should be fine. Get an estimate and find the scope of work they're doing. A repaint may be your best option though. But try and post a picture and maybe I can steer you in the right direction.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Name:  IMG00022-20101019-0833.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  201.0 KB

Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Can you post a picture Rich? It may be moisture under the clear or it could be factory blemish...the latter is highly unlikely as Porsche has one of the best final inspections and quality control of any manufacturer in the world.

Also, if a reputable shop is painting it, dealer recommendation doesn't always mean they're the best, you should be fine. Get an estimate and find the scope of work they're doing. A repaint may be your best option though. But try and post a picture and maybe I can steer you in the right direction.
Hi Moe, A picture is up. The 3" blemish is difficult to capture on my cell camera. It is just visible in the corner between the white center line and above and slightly below the darker line running along the hood near the wipers; in the 2 o'clock position above the light reflecting in the hood. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Last edited by RichS2010; 10-19-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Moe, A picture is up. The 3" blemish is difficult to capture on my cell camera. It is just visible in the corner between the white center line and above and slightly below the darker line running along the hood near the wipers; in the 2 o'clock position above the light reflecting in the hood. Hope this helps. Thanks.
Sorry Rich...it's very hard to see. Was the picture taken with a camera phone or camera? You can also email me the picture.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
I think that with the heat of the engine and the Dallas summer (105° days), my hood has gotten as hot as a hair dryer would get it. And the moisture, if it is moisture, would not just disappear, but would vaporize and move under the clear coat, possibly causing a de-lamination since it couldn't get out (or else it already would have).

Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute

I think this might be one of those times when the fix IS worse than the problem. You said in your first post:
We can NOT see it in direct sunlight or even shade. We can only see it under the amber lights in our garage.
I know you're unhappy about the problem and the way Porsche has handled your issue; I would be too but, I'm not sure painting the entire hood for a 3" blemish that you can only see in certain light is worth the deminished value of having a Panamera with a repainted hood. When it comes time to sell, I'd rather explain the blemish then why the hood was repainted. My advice would be to take some time to really think about your options. Don't be in a hurry to try and fix it... Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by LRDog

I think this might be one of those times when the fix IS worse than the problem. You said in your first post: I know you're unhappy about the problem and the way Porsche has handled your issue; I would be too but, I'm not sure painting the entire hood for a 3" blemish that you can only see in certain light is worth the deminished value of having a Panamera with a repainted hood. When it comes time to sell, I'd rather explain the blemish then why the hood was repainted. My advice would be to take some time to really think about your options. Don't be in a hurry to try and fix it... Best of luck and please keep us posted.
Thanks. Wise advice. That's exactly where my head is at. The Sales Manager from the Dealership just decided to get involved (of course he doesn't want to loose a future sale), and he disagrees with his own Service Manager as to what should be done (repaint or not). Many conflicting points of view with no consensus. Time to take a step back and clear my mind. Thanks again for your concern and advice.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Talking

Hopefully, some good news. Took the car to a highly recommended Body Shop to have them take a look at the blemish. After putting the hood under a bank of overhead lights here's what they discovered. At the outer edge of the blemish you can see the remnants/edge of a "Fish Eye" in the clear coat which the Factory sanded off and buffed. However, the Factory did not fully buff out all of the fine scratch marks from the sanding process. When the Dealer applied it's protective sealer, in preparation for delivery, it highlighted the fine scratch marks left by the Factory - My Blemish. The proposed solution - chemically remove the protective sealer, buff out the fine scratches/blemish and reapply the protective sealer. Appointment being set-up for next week. I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited by RichS2010; 10-20-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:48 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ that is potentially great news!!!! Fingers crossed.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 PM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
I am dying to hear how this turns out. That would bug the sh** out of me. I have been disappointed with the QC on the delivery of my PS. Upon delivery, the steering wheel was askew, the paddle shifters did not function, the cruise control did not work, and the horn button is too tight preventing a short burst. Every time I hit the horn button rapidly, it blows for several seconds making me look like an idiot. I just had the car back to the dealer for a clunk in the front end. Apparently a shipping block was not removed from the suspension. Some of these issues are on the dealer, some from the factory.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Fogging