Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat Fogging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RichS2010
Hopefully, some good news. Took the car to a highly recommended Body Shop to have them take a look at the blemish. After putting the hood under a bank of overhead lights here's what they discovered. At the outer edge of the blemish you can see the remnants/edge of a "Fish Eye" in the clear coat which the Factory sanded off and buffed. However, the Factory did not fully buff out all of the fine scratch marks from the sanding process. When the Dealer applied it's protective sealer, in preparation for delivery, it highlighted the fine scratch marks left by the Factory - My Blemish. The proposed solution - chemically remove the protective sealer, buff out the fine scratches/blemish and reapply the protective sealer. Appointment being set-up for next week. I'll let you know what happens.
Hmmmmm "protective sealer?" dealer installed.......what is it called?

Old 10-21-2010, 05:38 AM
RichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rossii
Hmmmmm "protective sealer?" dealer installed.......what is it called?
Dealer calls it "PermaPlate." I'm sure that it is nothing more than a liquid sealer/protector like "Liquid Glass" which I happen to like. It does help protect the front-end paint from the bugs (particularly "love bugs" which have some type of acid in them) in Southwest Florida.

Last edited by RichS2010; 10-21-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 AM
RichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by forgeahead
I am dying to hear how this turns out. That would bug the sh** out of me. I have been disappointed with the QC on the delivery of my PS. Upon delivery, the steering wheel was askew, the paddle shifters did not function, the cruise control did not work, and the horn button is too tight preventing a short burst. Every time I hit the horn button rapidly, it blows for several seconds making me look like an idiot. I just had the car back to the dealer for a clunk in the front end. Apparently a shipping block was not removed from the suspension. Some of these issues are on the dealer, some from the factory.
Me too...Appointment set-up for next Thursday, Oct. 28th. I'll let everyone know what happens. I share your QC concerns. I have a clunk in the rear end but everything else appears OK so far - I'll have them check for a shipping block. Thanks.

Last edited by RichS2010; 10-21-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by LRDog
^^^ that is potentially great news!!!! Fingers crossed.
Thanks. Appointment set-up for next Thursday, Oct.28th. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Last edited by RichS2010; 10-21-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
I am poor by some peoples standards and rich by others, but I would never ever ask them to buy back a vehicle, be it a KIA or a Veyron, for a spot that can be only seen in your garage.

I hesitated to post, and I am not trying to personally attack you or anything of the sorts, but I am just amazed that the idea was even mentioned.

Further I have yet to see a properly painted or touched up hood ever depreciate the value of the vehicle unless of course it was in an accident and reported on CARFAX. If it was done correctly then no one would know the difference.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
I am poor by some peoples standards and rich by others, but I would never ever ask them to buy back a vehicle, be it a KIA or a Veyron, for a spot that can be only seen in your garage.

I hesitated to post, and I am not trying to personally attack you or anything of the sorts, but I am just amazed that the idea was even mentioned.

Further I have yet to see a properly painted or touched up hood ever depreciate the value of the vehicle unless of course it was in an accident and reported on CARFAX. If it was done correctly then no one would know the difference.
Not going to address all your comments here except the last one.......

1. Carfax is a joke and if anyone ever bases a vehicle purchase based on Carfax they are sadly mis-informed.

2. Depriciated value? No one would know? First, only a dishonest seller would not disclose the re-paint..... Know one would know... UNTIL someone puts a paint meter on the hood and you as a seller haven't mentioned a repaint? Explain that one... Just lost a buyer!

Have you ever owned a $100k+ plus brand new car and had this type issue???

(well, maybe the second one too...) Your second statement is dead on; you shouldn't have posted.....

Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about

At the end of the day EVERYBODY wants what they paid for. He didn't get what he paid for. If he had caused the defect himself that would be a different story. He didn't cause it so why should he have to suffer/live with it, get it?

I'll give you another example, my paint got scratched up really good when my car was 2 weeks old. The hotel I was staying at offered to hand wash it. Long story short they don't want to pay for the damage they caused. I could pay to get it fixed but it's the principle. I didn't cause the damage so why should I have to pay for it?

The other day I lost a battle with a curb and dinged the front bumper. I did that so I can live with the consequences. I'll just buy a another bumper, get it?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by LRDog
Not going to address all your comments here except the last one.......

1. Carfax is a joke and if anyone ever bases a vehicle purchase based on Carfax they are sadly mis-informed.

2. Depriciated value? No one would know? First, only a dishonest seller would not disclose the re-paint..... Know one would know... UNTIL someone puts a paint meter on the hood and you as a seller haven't mentioned a repaint? Explain that one... Just lost a buyer!

Have you ever owned a $100k+ plus brand new car and had this type issue???

(well, maybe the second one too...) Your second statement is dead on; you shouldn't have posted.....
not going to get in a peeing match with you. my comments were derived from the wanting a new car over it.

do you believe when you trade in the vehicle that you are going to get every penny you put into it back, especially with or without the hood? Do you further believe that the Porsche dealership who would get the hood painted would turn around and say; "we are going to depreciate another $5k because we had your hood painted?" Come on!

Like I said, and you, I shouldn't have posted, but I couldn't let it go... I tried 2x but came back both times, finally I hit the post button. I know it wasn't going to be popular, and I tried not making it derogatory or make it a personal attack as not to offend you personally.

If you ever were to buy a used vehicle, as much as a joke as carfax is, I am sure you would look it over if presented to you. Not saying that it is the greatest thing when buying a used vehicle, but it seems to be the only company stepping up and offering a solution.

I hope everything works out with the your vehicle...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by ophtho
At the end of the day EVERYBODY wants what they paid for. He didn't get what he paid for. If he had caused the defect himself that would be a different story. He didn't cause it so why should he have to suffer/live with it, get it?

I'll give you another example, my paint got scratched up really good when my car was 2 weeks old. The hotel I was staying at offered to hand wash it. Long story short they don't want to pay for the damage they caused. I could pay to get it fixed but it's the principle. I didn't cause the damage so why should I have to pay for it?

The other day I lost a battle with a curb and dinged the front bumper. I did that so I can live with the consequences. I'll just buy a another bumper, get it?
For the sake of no arguments or turning it into a further argument, I will say that I get it.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
not going to get in a peeing match with you. my comments were derived from the wanting a new car over it.

do you believe when you trade in the vehicle that you are going to get every penny you put into it back, especially with or without the hood? Do you further believe that the Porsche dealership who would get the hood painted would turn around and say; "we are going to depreciate another $5k because we had your hood painted?" Come on!
Maybe not THAT dealership but another would.... BTDT! Even if the original dealership wouldn't they'd have to disclose to a buyer.

Like I said, and you, I shouldn't have posted, but I couldn't let it go... I tried 2x but came back both times, finally I hit the post button. I know it wasn't going to be popular, and I tried not making it derogatory or make it a personal attack as not to offend you personally.
I guess the larger question is; so why did you? Do you see your opinion as that important everyone needed to hear it?

If you ever were to buy a used vehicle, as much as a joke as carfax is, I am sure you would look it over if presented to you. Not saying that it is the greatest thing when buying a used vehicle, but it seems to be the only company stepping up and offering a solution.
Ever heard of Autocheck? I always look at Carfax too but, I never put complete faith in the accuracy of either.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 AM
I guess the larger question is; so why did you? Do you see your opinion as that important everyone needed to hear it?
I am anti band wagon, nor do I fluff what I say, I thought the option of them replacing the vehicle was

Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 PM
488ci-mojo is infamous around these parts
Cars are damaged during production and in transit to the dealer every single day, and they receive paint and body work when they get dinged. I'm not aware of the factory or dealer ever disclosing this. My 4s came filled with orange peel. My wife drives it like she stole it! It's a car not a piece of art.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Siswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really nice
As stated above, cars are routinely touched up at dealers. Happens all the time. No one willl ever find out if a hood was repainted.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM
just wait till he has to plug a tire....or add air to it... j/k

Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM
488ci-mojo is infamous around these parts
Satin jackets and matching his and hers gold jewelry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Fogging