Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat Fogging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:39 PM
RichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the rough
Clear Coat Fogging

I recently discovered that I have a 3" round blemish in or under the clear coat on the hood of my new Yachting Blue Panamera S. It appears to be a fogging or dull circular area approximately 3" in diameter. We can NOT see it in direct sunlight or even shade. We can only see it under the amber lights in our garage. Has anyone had a similar experience or know how to repair this problem? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Never heard of such an issue. Have you tried to clay bar the area? Some sort of residue from a stain?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 PM
RichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the rough
Yes. My Dealer tried claying and several other surface cleaner applications to no avail. It does not appear to be a surface stain. It appears like moisture in the clear coat. The Dealer now wants to cut into the clear which I did not allow them to do. I've since contacted Porsche NA, filed a claim, and requested that they inspect the car. I'm waiting for their response which I anticipate by mid this week.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
As a follow-up - Porsche NA Field Rep is going to inspect my car at the Dealership tomorrow, Tuesday, morning.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Follow Up - Porsche NA Field Representative just authorized to repaint the hood of our new Panamera S. Apparently the Representative believes that a worker put his palm down on the primer before the car was painted. Just my luck!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
That kinda sucks.......

They going to cover the depreciated value b/c now you have a car that will be no longer original?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
I had a weird blemish/marking in one of my other vehicle few years back. It was also underneath the clear coat, dealer told me they put it underneath a heat lamp overnight and it disappeared.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
That's interesting! I'm willing to try almost anything before repainting the hood. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RichS2010
That's interesting! I'm willing to try almost anything before repainting the hood. Thanks.
Good point. Since they've authorized a repaint anyway, I would try every other option first. Worst case scenario is that you have to get the respray, but at least now you have a little cushion to try an alternative.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
I've see the same on an M5 at the dealership. The detail guy brought out a hot air gun and used it. The circles disappeared in a few minutes. It was moisture under the clear coat. I would try it with a hair dryer or hot air gun and see what happens before painting it.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rossii
I've see the same on an M5 at the dealership. The detail guy brought out a hot air gun and used it. The circles disappeared in a few minutes. It was moisture under the clear coat. I would try it with a hair dryer or hot air gun and see what happens before painting it.
ditto

Old 10-14-2010, 06:07 AM
03LX470 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LRDog
That kinda sucks.......

They going to cover the depreciated value b/c now you have a car that will be no longer original?
Ditto

If you havent driven it much since you bought it ask them to exchange it. Porsche NA should be able to find you a similar car through their network. I wouldnt accept this in a Camry. I would even be flexible on some options & colors as long as the MSRP is the same. But repaint? No way...

Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks. Only have 1,000 miles on car. But, I can't believe that they would agree to exchange it. Have you ever heard of Porsche exchanging a car?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
They certainly wouldn't do that, an exchange that is! I had a blemish years ago on my 997's door edge and they wanted to repaint the entire right side so it would all match. I walked away from that offer and just lived with it! Becareful about them painting just the hood and it being a slightly different than the rest of the car. Certainly they are not baking that paint at the same temperature as the Factory.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM
^^ Good point, the fix might be worse than the problem in this case too?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Fogging