Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera S (or 4S) vs Mercedes CL63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:54 PM
borderless is infamous around these parts
Panamera S (or 4S) vs Mercedes CL63?

Hi all - I have a 2008 MB CL63 and a 2010 Porsche C4S.

I recently had some major back surgery and am looking for the exact cross between my 2 cars.

The CL63 is a great commuting car (45 mins each way to work). Quiet, easy ride. But ughh... so heavy.. can barely touch the gas without spinning wheels... and forget the corners. So heavy and such body roll.

My C4S is a perfect sports car. Lots of acceleration.. so much confidence in the corners. Never wheel slippage (especially thanks to 4 wheel drive). But it's loud as can be and not great for commuting or my back.

By the way I did test drive the Cayenne Turbo (2011) and while it's fast and comfy, it's got major body roll as well and buffers you too much from the road.

Don't want to splurge for the Panamera Turbo. Is the Panamera S or 4S a worthy replacement for my 2 cars?

Does it handle well in the turns compared to the CL63?

Old 10-16-2010, 01:59 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
I have never driven a CL63, so I will give you my opinion on the S vs 4S. If in Florida, go with the S, no 4S and spend the money, getting PDCC w/adaptive air. I feel body roll without the PDCC, needed if you are worried about body roll, because this car is heavy! Did the Cayenne Turbo have the PDCC?

Try to test drive this car on some undulating roads and try to find some curves down there!!

Also, certainly check out the different seating options, Lumbar needed?!

I can drive all day in this Panamera!

Last edited by cfgtts; 10-16-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: seats
Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by cfgtts
I feel body roll without the PDCC, needed if you are worried about body roll, because this car is heavy! Did the Cayenne Turbo have the PDCC?
Thanks for the reply. The Cayenne Turbo I test drove not only had PDCC but it also had the PTV option as well. I'll test drive a Panamera S soon. I'm always tempted by the 4 wheel drive in south florida because of all the rain...

Old 10-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
I don't have a 63, but i do have a CL500, C4S, Cayenne S and P4S.
the CL is by far the most comfortable of them all. with ABC in sports mode, body roll is minimal already. of course this still drives like a boat, but its no cadillac.

if put against the P4S, the P4S is in a totally different league in terms of power and driving feel. to me, i treat the P4S as a Grand Tourer with 4 doors. but the CL is just an S-class with 2 doors. as far as body roll concern, my P4S and Cayenne do have PDCC and my CL have ABC... I also have cars that pretty much zero roll. I do not feel body roll is a big problem in any of those cars.

but as u say you got back problems, I'd stick to the CL. the big merc's ride is still far better in terms of comfort compare to any porsche even in comfort setting

Old 10-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Siswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really nice
Just got out of a 2006 CLS55 into a Panamera S. I knew I would miss the tremendous torque and HP of the AMG, but I had no idea HOW MUCH I would miss it. Now I really wish I had bought the Panny Turbo. I do not find the S to be any more sporty in the turns or handle any better than the CLS. It is as refined as the AMG in terms of interior style, fit and function, obvioulsy the new comm center is much improved over my 5yr old AMG, the phone integration is much better. Overall I like the Panny but miss that extra HP and TQ.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I just came out of an S63 less than 2 months ago and have driven the CL63 on numerous times. I think nothing beats the Mercedes for comfort and brute power. But I like my P4S because it is just more fun to drive and you could easily drive it 45 minutes daily in your coummutes. I drive about 20k miles per year and love driving the Panamera.

The most significant difference between the two is the quality - the Mercedes is significantly better in terms of quality, fit and finish and ergonomics and interior comforts. The Mercedes is like a rock and the Panamera has rattles here and there too.

If I wasn't trying to save a few bucks I would have gotten the Panamera Turbo and then you wouln't miss the guts of the 63 as much. But my P4S leased about $700 per month cheaper than my S63.

My Panamera got discounted about 17k from the 121k sticker. That was a great deal and the new S63's lease just like the Panamera Turbo at about $2300 - $2400 per month. If you don't care about the money go for the Turbo

Old 10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
P4S2010 is infamous around these parts
Currently, I have a P4S. Previous cars include 993 Cab, M5, M6. The P4S is fantastic. Only regret is not get the turbo. If you are combining two cars into one then definitely go for the turbo.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:19 PM
skydiver is infamous around these parts
While everyone here seems to like their new Panamera, the common statement is that everyone wishes they had got the Turbo!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:11 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by skydiver
While everyone here seems to like their new Panamera, the common statement is that everyone wishes they had got the Turbo!

Yup - that's about it. If I wasn't trying to save money in a crappy economy the Turbo would be the way to go.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
As a Turbo owner all I can say is that I have owned a S-class, a 760 Bimmer, LS 600h and all of those cars have a better ride quality than the Panamera. But the Panamera is just fun to drive! Nothing else with 4-doors that I have driven even comes close. The one thing I wish I had gotten was the insulated glass. Didn't realize how great that is until I rode in one with it. Just makes the car seem more rock solid for some reason.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
I pretty much have driven everything out there from MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Spyker, and the Fisker Karma.

I understand the heaviness of the CL and that it is RWD, but I have yet to find anything that is more comfortable of a seat then the CL or S.

I have a vehicle of a friend I am working on in my spare time, the CL65, the car is everywhere and you only feel safe in a straight line... we are doing the locking dif in the back from RENNtech, and added the lowering module to it, which is programmed at returning the vehicle back to original height at 130 mph, with the lower center of gravity from the 1.25" drop it seems to feel more stable.

so there might be an option there for you... I do know that the the torrential down pours that are in FL as I lived there for many years, I was one of the first people to get the goodyear aqua treads when they came out because of the rain... and it was a false sense of security...

but rambling on... a great set of all weather tires and the traction control on, you'd be fine

another option would be the SL seating. I don't believe they have the active seats like the CL/S does... and you'd still be in RWD

Panamera is nice, but I have a bad back also and can't drive more than 15 minutes without having back pain... but it is always less in the S or CL when i am driving...

And the Cayenne seating is the worse, I have been more comfortable on a public toilet than in a Cayenne... though they handle very nice (not knocking the Cayenne)

CL550 4 matic maybe? lowering module (RENNtech) and some great performing wet weather handling tires, continental ExtremeContact DWS I hear have been outstanding in the rain.

Sorry this might come off crazy, but I am sleep deprived, been up for 40 hours now...

Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
The Karma was a nice seat... soft and fluffy, like the old school caddy's, but I really didn't consider the seating because of the vehicle was a factory demo

Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Got a Panamera Turbo

Thanks.. I ended up trading my 2010 C4S and 2008 CL63 in and got a Panamera Turbo. The car is amazing. I couldn't be happier.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:29 PM
ASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the rough
congrats on the purchase sir, you did the right thing

any pics?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera S (or 4S) vs Mercedes CL63?