Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end binding/skipping at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 AM
njcycleguy is infamous around these parts
Front end binding/skipping at slow speeds

Was wondering if anyone has some insight into the following issue. I tried a search but either my terms weren't good enough or no one else has had this issue. The car is a 2011 Panamera 4 with stock 18" wheels/tires (Pirelli PZero's) and has about 6k miles on it. A few weeks ago, the front end started making a loud binding / popping / skipping noise at really slow speeds (in parking lots, etc) - typically when the wheel was turned at 20 - 45 degree angle. The best way I can describe is it felt like the AWD system was "binding" a bit, sort of like an older jeep would when you had it in 4wd and turned hard one way or the other. It's also worse when it's cold and gets gradually better as the car warms.

I brought it to the dealer and drove around with the shop manager. His explanation was that it was the tires, because they are "summer tires" they are skipping along the surface causing that popping. (it's quite violent at times). Honestly, I've never heard such an explanation. So he took me for a ride in some other cars and they too did it albeit extremely slightly, not nearly as bad and barely noticeable. His explanation and subseqeunt resolution is to buy a sit of winter or all season tires at a cost (to his dealer) of approx $1500.

Anyone else have this issue or help shed some light on what these guys are telling us? I'm ready to take it a different dealer for a different opinion. I'm wondering though, since this is the first cold season with the Panamera 4's, if this going to be an issue with other cars. It doesn't make sense that it's a tire issue, but I guess anything's possible.

Thanks for any assistance,

Old 12-17-2010, 11:29 AM
wbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura about
Your dealer is right. It's the tires. The summer tires get extremely hard at temps below 40 degrees and there is no flex in the rubber.

Just bought at Panamera last week and it does the same thing you are describing.

As further confirmation, the 997 Turbo I traded for the Panamera did the exact same thing.

I will be putting winter tires on as soon as the TPMS sensors get here. Found a set of 19 Turbo wheels for $1200 and bought a set of winters to put on them.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 PM
RichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the rough
19" Turbo Wheels

If anyone is interested, I have a set of oem 19" Turbo Wheels with original oem TPMS installed in perfect condition with only 1,200 miles on them. Went to 22" HRE P40L wheels.

Last edited by RichS2010; 12-17-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:49 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
I don't subscribe to the tire explaination one bit. That is BS.

Its the differentials. They bind when cold at slow speed and high slip. I think you just live with it.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 PM
wbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by falb
I don't subscribe to the tire explaination one bit. That is BS.

Its the differentials. They bind when cold at slow speed and high slip. I think you just live with it.
Good point. That does make sense. Either way, it's normal.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
njcycleguy is infamous around these parts
So I brought the car to a different dealer for a different opinion today. They too noticed it and also subscribe to the tire theory - however this dealer is willing to research the issue a bit deeper than the other and scheduled an appointment for next week where there going to do a through evaluation of the front end drivetrain. It's just so incredibly violent and loud like a bang, it scares the crap out of people riding in the car - and it's not like the wheel is being turned to full lock. In all the cars I've owned, BMWs, Mercedes, a 997 C4 (all wheel drive), even my Ferrari - I've never experienced anything quite like this before. I too believe it has something to do with the differentials, I can't understand how this is strictly tire related. It will be interesting to see how people react to the explanation that this is "normal" as more Panameras are sold and end up on the road.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
Mine does it too. I think it is the differential not the tires

Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
It's the tires. Roll a little more before you turn the wheel...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2682304

Old 12-19-2010, 04:02 PM
E63911K12 has a spectacular aura aboutE63911K12 has a spectacular aura about
I've also had this issue and really alarmed when it happened. There was a loud noise and it actually shook the car when I turned out of a parking spot. I initially thought I'd popped a CV joint or the differential had failed, but it seemed to drive ok. I've had it happen twice (both during freezing temperatures after the car sat in the cold). I called the dealer who had not heard of the problem. They suggested having the car flat bedded to the dealership (I live about 4.5 hours away) if I thought it was undriveable. I didn't since I haven't had a recurrence. The car is not a DD and since I haven't been out in the lousy weather we've been having, I'll see how this develops.

I have P Zeros also, so as much as I find it hard to believe it is tire related, I will wait and see. Anyone with Michelins have this problem?

Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
I think it is safe to say that this is a common "feature" and should not be a concern to owners.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Richard911 is infamous around these parts
More info 2S Owner

We have a 2S which has same issue. Dealer said it is a known issue with drive train and Porsche factory knows of the problem. (car is in for other issues). By the way he also sasy I need new rear tires - 20 inch Pirilli's - at 7500 miles. Dealer says that the issue is 2S seems to get half of the rear tires on the 4S. Also says the fronts have more than 10K left in them. Does not seem intuitive since most of the weight is on the nose.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM
pmichaelis is infamous around these parts
It may not be the weight

Originally Posted by richardholtz
We have a 2S which has same issue. Dealer said it is a known issue with drive train and Porsche factory knows of the problem. (car is in for other issues). By the way he also sasy I need new rear tires - 20 inch Pirilli's - at 7500 miles. Dealer says that the issue is 2S seems to get half of the rear tires on the 4S. Also says the fronts have more than 10K left in them. Does not seem intuitive since most of the weight is on the nose.
The weight may not be the issue if you enjoy the acceleration too much, my C2S used up rears much faster than the fronts because of my right foot. You don't have to burn rubber, just lean into the gas hard and you'll deposit rubber while maintaining traction. Pay to play........

Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
It's not the tires, it's the diffs. I've driven tons of AWD cars with summer tires in very cold weather and never had this happen a single time. As people in this thread and others have said, they get it in all types of P-cars, and they're all using the same diffs.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by richardholtz
Yes, but only the rear wheels are powered. Of course they're going to wear much faster in a performance vehicle.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
For those that "want" to believe that this is more than the tires, you can actually see (on the ground and on the tire) where it skips. If you need to blame something mechanical, blame the steering rack; it's not the diffs - wide summer tires, cold pavement, too much steering angle - tires skipping, that is all that is going on here. Was actually worse on on the C2S than it is on the Panamera; AWD has nothing to do with it. If you want it to go away, buy winter tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end binding/skipping at slow speeds