Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, decisions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 PM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Decisions, decisions...

I'm new to the Panamera Board, and I've been researching a lot of great information for a while here. Your thoughts and opinions have been very helpful in narrowing my options. I'm still having a heck of a time figuring out how I would configure my car.

I'm going to be moving from my current M5 to either the new F10 M5 or a Panamera. I'm leaning towards the Panamera because I think it is/will be the better driver's car. (I'm a PCA Instructor and will be racing this season). The new M5 is going to have close to 600 HP, but it's going to be built on a heavy (4,300 lbs to start) chassis and I think it's going to be close to 4,500 lbs. Because of this, I don't think it will have the responsiveness of the Panamera.

I looked at the 6 cyl, and it's probably the best handling car in the line, but I need a bit more power. I'm looking at the 4S because I would like to drive the car in the winter without having to change the setup. I would get the 19" wheels with all-season tires and leave it like that for the whole year. After 5 winters in the M5, I just don't like the huge handling change that comes with switching from summer to winter tires, and I'd rather just dial-in the all-season handling.

I've pretty much decided on the air suspension. Based on the recommendations I've seen here, and people I've spoken with, it is definitely worth the price. What I'm not sure about are the Sports Chrono and most of all, the $5K PDCC. What does the Sports Chrono give you that you can't get with the air/PDCC besides a remapped throttle position, launch control, and a chronograph?

Most important, for someone who really values handling and response, is the PDCC worth it? I've driven BMW's with active stabilization and I hated it - you couldn't feel what the car was doing. Is this what the PDCC does? Can you really feel a difference when tossing the car around?

I'm also looking at the Techart wheel conversion since I can't stand the shift buttons, but don't want to lose all the functionality of the other wheel buttons.

I'd get a white/black with other options - sport seats, PDC and backup camera, full leather, Bose, entry and drive, rear spacers and monochrome black trim.

Comments welcome.

ps - are the sport seats worth giving up ventilation??

Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 AM
dan993 is infamous around these parts
Your specs are very similar to mine. I have had my 4S for nearly a year now.

I have the air suspension, PDCC, Sport Chrono, sport seats, back up camera, etc. For certain, the air suspension and PDCC are a must. The Sport Chrono, also, as when engaged changes the whole nature and feel of the car. Take one for an extended test drive and you will see what I mean. I am sure others will chime in on this. As far as the seats go, I went with the sport seats and am very happy with them. Also, I couldn't get the leather I chose in the ventilated seats. I have the sport seats in my 997TT, so these just seem right to me. Also get the Sport Exhaust.

I use the Multi function buttons on the wheel all the time, and the shift buttons rarely, so I have no issue now (it took a while to warm up to the shift buttons). This is my daily driver, so the convenience of the Multi function wheel is more important to me. I generally set the suspension to it's lowest setting, Sport Plus on, exhaust on, and go...

Now, on my 997TT PDK, I couldn't live without the paddles and don't miss Multi function on the wheel. Of course, that's a different drive altogether!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 AM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dan993
Your specs are very similar to mine. I have had my 4S for nearly a year now.

I have the air suspension, PDCC, Sport Chrono, sport seats, back up camera, etc. For certain, the air suspension and PDCC are a must. The Sport Chrono, also, as when engaged changes the whole nature and feel of the car. Take one for an extended test drive and you will see what I mean. I am sure others will chime in on this. As far as the seats go, I went with the sport seats and am very happy with them. Also, I couldn't get the leather I chose in the ventilated seats. I have the sport seats in my 997TT, so these just seem right to me. Also get the Sport Exhaust.

I use the Multi function buttons on the wheel all the time, and the shift buttons rarely, so I have no issue now (it took a while to warm up to the shift buttons). This is my daily driver, so the convenience of the Multi function wheel is more important to me. I generally set the suspension to it's lowest setting, Sport Plus on, exhaust on, and go...

Now, on my 997TT PDK, I couldn't live without the paddles and don't miss Multi function on the wheel. Of course, that's a different drive altogether!
Very helpful - thank you. I'm 75% there on getting the PDCC now.

Having lived in SoCal, it does get hot - how much do you miss the ventilated seats? Here in Cinti the summers can be brutal.

I'm also thinking I will need the multifunction wheel for radio and phone for sure. Do you use the 'in dash' display much?

I'm going to need the paddles for sure. I use them all the time on my M5. Hopefully the wheel won't get too 'busy' with the Techart paddles.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 AM
dan993 is infamous around these parts
It gets hot, but not humid. The A/C works very well for my needs. I have never had ventilated seats, so not sure what I am missing.

I use the display all the time. One of my favorite features.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Ummm.....I have hte v6, and it doesn't feel THAT much slower than the v8...its quite swift, so the V8 tends to shine at very high speeds.

If you want to match an M5...you may want to consider bumping yourself to the Panamera Turbo, it generates the real torque down low where you'll use it.

THis is why quite a few people are satisfied with the V6 v. V8...its the turbo where the real difference is felt due to torque. It feels like a v10/v12 down low.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by TheRox
Ummm.....I have hte v6, and it doesn't feel THAT much slower than the v8...its quite swift, so the V8 tends to shine at very high speeds.

If you want to match an M5...you may want to consider bumping yourself to the Panamera Turbo, it generates the real torque down low where you'll use it.

THis is why quite a few people are satisfied with the V6 v. V8...its the turbo where the real difference is felt due to torque. It feels like a v10/v12 down low.
Actually, I'm not looking to match the upcoming (or my present) M5 in straight-line acceleration. What I am looking for is a car that is really responsive and fun to drive around town and is an excellent highway cruiser as well. The "hold on to your hats - blastoff!" is fun for the first few months, but after a while it really doesn't do it for me. I'm really looking for more response and handling vs brute force.