Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are the enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 AM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Where are the enthusiasts?

I'm on the fence right now, making a decision on a Panamera 4S vs an F10 M5. I've tried to locate the most active Panamera Boards, and this looks like the one. BUT, there is very little traffic on this Board, and not a lot focused on what I would call 'enthusiast' driving. Looking at the M5Board.com, where I've been a member for 6 years, there is more enthusiasm and excitement in both the existing E60 M5 forum, and the upcoming F10 M5 forum.

I'm not trying to stir things up, just asking an honest question and I'm interested in the answer. Why don't the Panamera drivers seem to be as into their car's performance as the M5 crowd?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Gaucho is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by umwolverine
....... there is more enthusiasm and excitement in both the existing E60 M5 forum, and the upcoming F10 M5 forum.

I'm not trying to stir things up, just asking an honest question and I'm interested in the answer. Why don't the Panamera drivers seem to be as into their car's performance as the M5 crowd?

Tend to agree with you on this one! Prior to purchasing my P4 I often visited the Bimmerfest site. Tons of information and participation there that was extremely useful, insightful and fun to read.

I think the main reason is a numbers game - compare the number of BMW and MB on the road to Porsches! Panameras are only a subset of the whole so it is expected that there would be less chatter. Too bad because what little is here and how infrequently topics are updated with new posts, it is still informative.

P4 - 4000 miles. Average MPG 23. Love the car only minor dissapointment is the transmission from a dead stop is a bit slow and not very smooth. In sport mode it is completely different response and feel - smooth and fast.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM
donfenn is infamous around these parts
I have noticed the same thing.. I think it is the demographic.. The Panamera is in a different realm than the M5, and attracts a crowd who might not be web auto forum types. There are also only a small group of Panameras on the road after only a year or so on the market...

After many years online, I have also observed that it appears many folks on BMW and other enthusiast forums are young folks who probably don't even own these cars. Let me put it this way, I have a 24 year old car-enthusiast nephew who is a fixture on a BMW board and he acts like he owns an M3...However, he actually owns an aging VW GTI.

If everyone on some of these boards owned all of the cars that they list in their signature I would be surprised. I am not dismissing these folks, but they make up a big portion of the online car community

Old 05-10-2011, 01:53 PM
WFBlue is infamous around these parts
Definitely the demographic, not the Porsche brand. The 6speed forum for the Cayenne is extremely active (as well as Rennlist which competes for the same activity) with multiple posts per hour whereas the Audi A7 forum has almost no activity even though this is a brand new vehicle in the Audi line-up. I think it has a lot to do with the age of the potential buyers for each vehicle and the commensurate enthusiasm.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I loved my P4S but now most likely opting for a Turbo Panamera. I think the M5 is a reasonable alternative here but I bet at some point we've all owned a AMG or M car on our way to our current panamera.

Without question the Panamera has far more personality and gets far more attention than anything I have had previously. For 7k miles I avergaed 26mph @ 19.6 mpg - that is amazing. Averaged 30mpg on highway. My S63 got 12mpg downhill with a tailwind.

I think the panamera's are just more fun but be cautious that they aren't nearly as rock solid for reliability as a benz or bmw.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
Long time M5board member here and agree....there is way too little activity here. But M5s have been built for an awfully longtime and there are a lot on the roads. Same thing for the McLaren-just not that man sold to board enthusiasts. This board has picked up over time, so I believe it will continue to get more and more busy. You know Gustav set up the panameraboard.com to capture this crown but it has very very little traffic. Good luck with your decision. And as far as being an enthusiast....I have had my car under the knife for a long time, so hopefully it will pay dividends for the rest of the panamera crowd.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Richfield is infamous around these parts
Here's an enthusiast...

I've got 17k miles on my 2010 PTT. Drove it through most of the last winter, with the exception of the nasty snow days when I was worried about somebody with crappy tires and no driving skills and common sense plowing into me.

The car has been tip-top reliable in every sense. It's comfortable, luxurious and I love it today like the day I bought it. It pulls like a raped-ape when I want to get western with it, and does great duty as daily driver.

The *only* car that I even remotely lust after these days is the Audi R8 V10 - but I doubt I'd ever do that one because I like the trunk and back seats in the PTT.

I hit this forum every day, but don't post much because what I see is mostly ads (nothing against them - hey, everybody has to make a living).

My one gripe about the Panny is that the window seals are so tight your aftermarket tint gets scratched. Gonna do it over and get them to put the felt wiper strip in.

The only upgrade I'm considering is a second set of wheels so I don't have to keep swapping summer for winter tires. I really like the 20" rims painted to match the car you see on the PUSA configurator.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 PM
stirthepot has a spectacular aura aboutstirthepot has a spectacular aura about
Agree, I was disapointed to not see a lot more traffic here. When I was researching a month ago, prior to purchase, there was some very good info here, just was hoping there was more.

That said, I love the P and would highly recommend. (Shopping for a 2009 911 TT now, that forum has a ton of activity)

Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by umwolverine
I'm on the fence right now, making a decision on a Panamera 4S vs an F10 M5. I've tried to locate the most active Panamera Boards, and this looks like the one. BUT, there is very little traffic on this Board, and not a lot focused on what I would call 'enthusiast' driving. Looking at the M5Board.com, where I've been a member for 6 years, there is more enthusiasm and excitement in both the existing E60 M5 forum, and the upcoming F10 M5 forum.

I have a harder grasp at understanding your version of the M5 rationale because there are many M5 drivers who use the cars the same way as the Panamera drivers whom you describe as non enthusaists.

Both cars obvioisly are fast and can handle well so that we might agree on.

But I do feel that if one wants to buy a track car there's a Gt3 or if running through mountain twisties with agility is the objective .. he can get a 997 .

and yes the M5 does have its motorsport history but lets face it .. the car is a four door family car with Hp . There I said it !!!!

The Panamera group seems to accept it. why not praise them for accepting their own driving needs and still finding time to buy and enjoy the cars ? Why does a car have to be about what someone else views as its purpose? Or about peer pressure ego ?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:40 AM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the responses. The 'numbers' argument makes a lot of sense - there just aren't a lot of Panamera's out there compared to the M5's and 'M5 wannabee's'. I also appreciate the fact that Gustav runs a heck of a board for BMW. I just wish there was more information and communication out there for Panamera's.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
- the 1st panamera was released 2 years ago, the M5 started 26 years ago,
so no wonder there are a lot more people involved in the M5 community.

- demographic reasons (as said before), there are much more young drivers in the BMW community than in the Porsche, cause most young people cannot afford a Porsche and young enthusiasts are the ones who spend hours in such forums. Most Porsche drivers are older and got better things to do.

- the M5, which was released before the M3, is more or less the "holy grail" for BMW drivers, for Porsche drivers it is the 911.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I feel even when I drive my car, even after the car being out for 2 years now, the car still gets that " is that a four door porsche look" people still dont even know about the four door as much as the well known M5, that even my dad had in the early 90's. The name is still getting out their, and plus like Donfenn said the demographic are a little different. I feel younger generation is into tuning then the usual suspects of a Porsche owner. My neighbors son down the block just graduated from NYU, and he bought his son a 06 M5 with 48xxx miles on it for about 39k, when i remember you couldn't get this car for less then 90 at one point. But I agree alot with alot of the members on here, there isn't that much interest like the M5 forums, but with time I think there will be....Porsche, there is no substitute....

Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 AM
BeechSierra is infamous around these parts
umwolverine-
We just took delivery of a 2011 Panamera 4 and just found this site. I will be as active as I can on this site since there is plenty to learn and share about these fantastic cars!

I think the demographics of Panamera buyers works against us a bit plus, in searching for a Panamera forum, the site "6speedonline.com" doesn't really connect with people.

Glad I found this and will try to share and learn!

Chris L.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I've had an M6 and 2 997's and 2 boxsters and 1 Cayenne and assorted BMW's. I have to admit I 'chased the thrill' to get the next greatest and fastest, but now I am driving an X5 diesel, which I really like. I've had to 'de-tune' my addiction to cars. But, I've learned alot. I miss not having a Porsche. They are the best cars on the planet in any form. That being said, in about 2 years, I will be back in a Porsche. At 47 yrs old, I've had alot of cars and all I can say is I've wised up to what's important to me in my ride. I am an enthusiast, but I've had to go through alot of cars and MONEY to realize what I really want to drive. I'm done with BMW Mcars. After the warranty expires, it is very expensive to own. The Pan hasn't been out long enough for others to get a good deal and mod it. But, I believe, the Panamera is an awesome vehicle and after having driven one for the weekend, etc., I think it is one of Porsche's best. so, expect me to have one in the next 2 years. I will need your help in specing it out!!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Neo
Neo is infamous around these parts
It’s mostly a time thing I think, M5’s have been around for a long time, they are also significantly cheaper (compared to a PTT) so the demographic may be different (the panamera probably is more of a 7 series/S Class type competitor than the 5 series, think Alpina B7 and S63 AMG). Also since there are many used M5’s available that allows younger people to have them so in time I think you’ll see more activity here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where are the enthusiasts?