Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help for a friend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
pmichaelis is infamous around these parts
If you believe the advertising; unfortunately the sensors do not pick up low curbs in close, nor narrow objects like stakes and if you have "expensive" 20,22 inch wheels better buy insurance. As for turning your head, that doesn't make too much sense since you can't see a damn thing unless it's a telephone pole.

As for the stakes, they are used to anchor curbing blocks and they do come up to bite occasionally.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM
donfenn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by falb
You guys need to learn to turn your head around. PLUS, there is a full graphic of the car in the display showing a visual of objects near the car with audible warnings. The camera is redundant and unnessesary.

ParkAssist.
ParkAssist is standard in all
Panamera models. With four
inconspicuous sensors in the rear
end, it audibly alerts the driver
when detecting an obstacle
behind the vehicle. An intermittent
warning tone increases in rapidity
as the obstacle is approached.
Convenient and safe.
An enhanced version of ParkAssist,
which includes six sensors in the
front end, is fitted as standard in
the Panamera Turbo and available
as an option in the other models.
The audible alert is supplemented
by a visual warning in the central
display screen which provides
a graphical representation of the

vehicle’s proximity to obstacles.

In this case, the proposed driver of the new Panamera is a woman who is coming out of a VW bug, and the poster mentioned the camera option in the original post.

There is a very limited rear view, even if you turn your head... The camera is a good thing, and there are no negatives to having this added view.

So, why are you trying so hard to teach the rest of us that we are wrong about something which we find to be so useful? The camera delivers much more information than the sensors. I am not sure why anybody would not want this on a car like the Panamera..

Last edited by donfenn; 06-01-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 PM
P4S2010 is infamous around these parts
A few considerations (1) there is almost zero visibility out of the back or along the sides of the vehicle, (2) the sensors do not catch curbs or irregular objects like metal posts, (3) the camera's guide lines make parallel parking quite easy. I would wager that anyone who gets the car w/out the rear camera will be replacing or repair their rear bumper every few months (probably around $2K per patch job.)

Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by donfenn
In this case, the proposed driver of the new Panamera is a woman who is coming out of a VW bug, and the poster mentioned the camera option in the original post.

There is a very limited rear view, even if you turn your head... The camera is a good thing, and there are no negatives to having this added view.

So, why are you trying so hard to teach the rest of us that we are wrong about something which we find to be so useful? The camera delivers much more information than the sensors. I am not sure why anybody would not want this on a car like the Panamera..
I obviously think the camera is silly and unnecessary. It is my opinion. The OP was concerned about buying a car without the camera, I dont think it matters. I do think it is a mistake to count on the camera view and face forward while reversing. This is the same logic as stability control and ABS...if you just let the computer correct your mistakes then you will never learn how to control the car properly. Several posters think the camera is a must have and I completely disagree. One thing the camera is great for is lining up a trailer hitch and the panamera has a nice retractable hitch option.

You know the sifi crowd says that one day computers will drive the cars all by themselves and in order to not freak out the passengers there will be no windows. No thanks! There is a reason I bought a Rossion. No ABS, no traction control, no computer controlled transmission...three pedals, a directly connected steering wheel, full cage and six point harness. Yes, please.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
donfenn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by falb
I obviously think the camera is silly and unnecessary. It is my opinion. The OP was concerned about buying a car without the camera, I dont think it matters. I do think it is a mistake to count on the camera view and face forward while reversing. This is the same logic as stability control and ABS...if you just let the computer correct your mistakes then you will never learn how to control the car properly. Several posters think the camera is a must have and I completely disagree. One thing the camera is great for is lining up a trailer hitch and the panamera has a nice retractable hitch option.

You know the sifi crowd says that one day computers will drive the cars all by themselves and in order to not freak out the passengers there will be no windows. No thanks! There is a reason I bought a Rossion. No ABS, no traction control, no computer controlled transmission...three pedals, a directly connected steering wheel, full cage and six point harness. Yes, please.
You have clarified that you are a guy who likes things raw and simple...but you also appear to drive an Escalade land yacht on a daily basis?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by donfenn
You have clarified that you are a guy who likes things raw and simple...but you also appear to drive an Escalade land yacht on a daily basis?
Ahh....you are referring to the luxo barge my wife drives. Yes, she likes to haul the kiddoes around in it. It has a rear view camera, but she doesnt use it.

I like to drive the Rossion but the Panamera is really the ideal daily driver....especially when it has over 700 ft/lbs.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would not buy the demo and the fact that they are offering such a poor deal on it implies that they won't hesitate to overcharge on a new car .

I never had a car with a camera but on the Panamera I would get it .

At 80K or more he has to get things right . Any option he forgets or overlooks he will want down the road .

Has he even looked to see if the exact car he wants is available somewhere nearby ?
If not .. and he must buy the car from this particular dealership because he wants the convenience then if he has to pay more .. he might want to spec and order the car .

Old 06-04-2011, 02:01 PM
DanK is infamous around these parts
you can retrofit a backup cam that works right through the factory Nav system:

http://www.navtv.com/product/164/pcm3-1-cam.html

if I remember right someone on this board has done the retrofit on their Cayenne.