Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rapide´s production cut amidst slow sales

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Rapide´s production cut amidst slow sales

The Panamera and The Rapide, 2 competitors, both released at almost the same time, ~2 years ago.
While the Panamera is on a glorious way and sells very well, the Rapide`s production will be cut from 2000 to 1250 a year.

Do you guys remember, when those cars were revealed almost 2 years ago?
Many people on car forums all over the world (on here as well!) were bashing the Panamera and predicted it will not sell,
while the Rapide would have a bright future and will sell like hot cakes.
Boom! the opposite has happened:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/16/aston-martin-cutting-rapide-production-amidst-slow-sales/#aol-comments

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 06-16-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:37 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Not a surprise...the Rapide is a bit of a disappointment...it is not as quick, no backseat room, and built like every other Aston, so it has some quirks...I had a 2007 V8 Vantage (got it new) and never really loved the fit and finish...Panamera conversely is built like a tank, and my PTT to me is an incredible overall car. I drove it up the coast this morning for a meeting, from LA to Santa Barbara, and wow, what a fun drive! I even passed a new M5 prototype on the 101 (see attached) and he got into the fast lane to follow me, and have some fun. I was unimpressed by the M5's presence on the road...seems like an M3 sedan...the Panamera, on the other hand, has a lot of presence, where even the Rapide does not, IMHO.

Attached Images     
Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM
BeechSierra is infamous around these parts
Two words come to my mind: PORSCHE GRAVITAS!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
not surprising at all, I will not buy a Rapide even with a big discount.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I drove a Rapide for a few days just befor ei got my PTT last week and it is a tough daily driver. It's tight and confining but sounds great.

The best thing about it was the crazy lease promotion Aston just rolled out. I think it was something like $2800 per month with zero down for 10k per year. That is a screaming deal for a car of that price. I was really tempted but as a four door car it was pretty useless.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dhh
I drove a Rapide for a few days just befor ei got my PTT last week and it is a tough daily driver. It's tight and confining but sounds great.

The best thing about it was the crazy lease promotion Aston just rolled out. I think it was something like $2800 per month with zero down for 10k per year. That is a screaming deal for a car of that price. I was really tempted but as a four door car it was pretty useless.
Same here, they gave me one for a weekend to drive and it just didn't wow me. I wanted that car so badly! But the price just turned me off. The looks and the engine sound is hard to beat! Just wasn't rock solid.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JCBH
Not a surprise...the Rapide is a bit of a disappointment...it is not as quick, no backseat room, and built like every other Aston, so it has some quirks...I had a 2007 V8 Vantage (got it new) and never really loved the fit and finish...Panamera conversely is built like a tank, and my PTT to me is an incredible overall car. I drove it up the coast this morning for a meeting, from LA to Santa Barbara, and wow, what a fun drive! I even passed a new M5 prototype on the 101 (see attached) and he got into the fast lane to follow me, and have some fun. I was unimpressed by the M5's presence on the road...seems like an M3 sedan...the Panamera, on the other hand, has a lot of presence, where even the Rapide does not, IMHO.
So could the M5 hang with you? I know you were already up to speed but did you pull away from it or did it pull away from you?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
Always interesting that the comparisons have always been the PTT vs. the Rapide; which money wise, may seem reasonable (price premium for the Aston = Boxster). Performance wise, the V6 Pan 4 is in the same ballpark (price premium for the Aston = another Pan 4, a motorcycle and a Boxster). Are you really surprised it is not selling?

Buying a Rapide would be like dating a supermodel with a coke habit; looks great, probably fun, but not worth the money or trips to the clinic.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
The M5 was cruising, as was I, at that point...not pushing hard, but then I got bored and moved up in speed, lost him, and he followed some X1 that he was driving with...

Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
No surprise here. While the Rapide is gorgeous and has a fantastic sound, that's all it has. The only reason I see people buying these is because they're die-hard Aston customers. We've all seen how they Panamera wears the Rapide out in every comparison test, much less in everyday usability.

Dating a supermodel isn't always what it's cracked up to be...

Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 AM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
I will take PTT over Rapide any day!!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
very interesting... has anyone jumped from a rapide to a panny or the other way around? it would be interesting to hear from actual rapide owners too... guess i have to look at the aston forum

Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I would love to make my PTT sound like and Aston - those damn thing sound great.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Sarum87 is infamous around these parts
a lot of people under estimate porsche. they are doing very well financially. lots of new models that extend the brand. people like porsche and they make a great product.

now if they could just STOP making so many iterations of the 911 i'd be happy.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
The racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by easy_button
which money wise, may seem reasonable ...................................... Are you really surprised it is not selling?

Easy is right, it's twice the price. Mystery solved. I was sitting in both saturday for an extended time, trying to get a real feel for them. Sitting in the back seats, looking at the materials, the build, the features.

The Aston has a nicer finish inside and out, but it should for the twice the price. It is also has the better body design. It has also got the sound. Performance was close according to Top Gear real world business park. The back seats had the same amount of useful space with the panny's taller roof giving a feeling of more space. Getting in and out of the Rapide's back seat was a real task.

If prices were the same, how many here would be posting in the AM section?

The panamera is extremely well built, solid, and with great features. It also has the most comfortable seats in the current Porsche line-up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rapide´s production cut amidst slow sales