Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Turbo S/Powerkit vs Ferrari FF a tight match?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 AM
donfenn is infamous around these parts
I can't understand why a GTR fan would need to come into the thread and find it noteworthy to post their subjective opinions about the looks of Porsche and a Ferrari.

A GTR has its' own virtues, but it is hardly a landmark in graceful and subtle automotive design. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:54 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by donfenn
I can't understand why a GTR fan would need to come into the thread and find it noteworthy to post their subjective opinions about the looks of Porsche and a Ferrari.

A GTR has its' own virtues, but it is hardly a landmark in graceful and subtle automotive design. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
And I can't understand why a GT-R has anything to do with this thread.

Perhaps people who live in glass houses don't know they live in one, too.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by donfenn

Watchout don, he might give you a negative reps if he does not like your replies, as if this board was his own reality show, and with it some nonsense comments about status and the like.

He obviously is a troll and that is why he takes the time to answer to all these replies, hell, check this guy's posts, I bet 3/4 of those were done in the civic/nissan/toyota/scion section of the board, if there is one.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MIA997TTBeast
Watchout don, he might give you a negative reps if he does not like your replies, as if this board was his own reality show, and with it some nonsense comments about status and the like.

He obviously is a troll and that is why he takes the time to answer to all these replies, hell, check this guy's posts, I bet 3/4 of those were done in the civic/nissan/toyota/scion section of the board, if there is one.
Hi MIA997TTBeast

Your text says you have gone from 08 TT to 10 PTT. I am doing this exact step. It says you are missing the 997 TT. Are you happy with the desicion? Why did you do this move? I did it because needed the extra space, so this was a move I had to make, but then again the looks are growing on me and I think the Pananamera modern technology. The 997 also started to feel a little dated.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
No surprise here:

ITALIAN mag gets 0-100 3.6s, 0-200 10.9s.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/scan0015j.jpg/

Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 PM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kip
Hi MIA997TTBeast

Your text says you have gone from 08 TT to 10 PTT. I am doing this exact step. It says you are missing the 997 TT. Are you happy with the desicion? Why did you do this move? I did it because needed the extra space, so this was a move I had to make, but then again the looks are growing on me and I think the Pananamera modern technology. The 997 also started to feel a little dated.
KIP,

Where do I start? The 997 is a monster all on its own. No need to go there, it's the most reliable sports car you can seat in and takes you from point A to point B very quickly. The PTT does the same thing WITH the comfort and new electronics. The 997 is kind of outdated when it comes down to electronics, does not have the back seats for those weekend nights with friends BUT it does feel a little heavier and less trustworthy when pushing it real hard. Maybe it's just me that I have not gotten used to it yet. I feel the 997 more planted to the ground.

The PTT wins in all categories but handling, compared to the 997TT, but don't get me wrong it does not feel as heavy as you might think.

The reason I changed is the new addition to the family. It did not make sense to keep the 997 just for the weekends and even then I wouldn't use it because nothing fits in it, forget about stroller, the 12 bags that my wife carries, etc...

This car is much more practical, updated and a beast.

Do I regret it? Only when I see another 997TT going by me, that will be the only time that I look back and I punch myself for making that decision, and that is not the case lately that I'm getting used to it, otherwise the PTT puts a smile on my face the very moment I open the door even without cranking the engine.

Is it a viable upgrade? I would say hell yeah. Would've I had done it without the baby being the reason? Only if money was not an object. Do I regret it? Hell no after 2 months of getting used to ALL the comfort. Would I ever consider another TT 997, 991? Maybe when she is bigger and does not need to ride with daddy anymore, I would definitely consider the 991TT in like 5-6 years.

If you took the plunge, I congratulate you, you have the fastest production sedan in the world and a porsche, the best thing of both worlds.

If you are looking to take the plunge AND you do not need the extra space then you could look at the 997.2 TT, that will be my second option in car right now.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
kip
Originally Posted by MIA997TTBeast
KIP,

Where do I start? The 997 is a monster all on its own. No need to go there, it's the most reliable sports car you can seat in and takes you from point A to point B very quickly. The PTT does the same thing WITH the comfort and new electronics. The 997 is kind of outdated when it comes down to electronics, does not have the back seats for those weekend nights with friends BUT it does feel a little heavier and less trustworthy when pushing it real hard. Maybe it's just me that I have not gotten used to it yet. I feel the 997 more planted to the ground.

The PTT wins in all categories but handling, compared to the 997TT, but don't get me wrong it does not feel as heavy as you might think.

The reason I changed is the new addition to the family. It did not make sense to keep the 997 just for the weekends and even then I wouldn't use it because nothing fits in it, forget about stroller, the 12 bags that my wife carries, etc...

This car is much more practical, updated and a beast.

Do I regret it? Only when I see another 997TT going by me, that will be the only time that I look back and I punch myself for making that decision, and that is not the case lately that I'm getting used to it, otherwise the PTT puts a smile on my face the very moment I open the door even without cranking the engine.

Is it a viable upgrade? I would say hell yeah. Would've I had done it without the baby being the reason? Only if money was not an object. Do I regret it? Hell no after 2 months of getting used to ALL the comfort. Would I ever consider another TT 997, 991? Maybe when she is bigger and does not need to ride with daddy anymore, I would definitely consider the 991TT in like 5-6 years.

If you took the plunge, I congratulate you, you have the fastest production sedan in the world and a porsche, the best thing of both worlds.

If you are looking to take the plunge AND you do not need the extra space then you could look at the 997.2 TT, that will be my second option in car right now.
Thanks for the info MIA997TTBeast

I MADE the plunge already (had to) and am waiting for the powerkit to be installed. We also have an offspring and this made the 997 TT stay in the garage for most of the time. We went ONCE with the baby on passanger side, wife + carriage on the other back seat + wheels in the luggage compartment. I felt really stupid, suspect wife did even more so =).

Do you have PDCC + rear differential? Just wondering about the handling. Or is it just due to the weight. Maybe the biggest difference is the air suspension.

Nice to see someone have a similar situation and make the same desicions. Cant wait to get mine...

Old 08-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Kip,

Quite a few of us had to go this route because of the convenience of having this kind of performance on a saloon. You really have the best of both worlds going with the panny, no questions asked.

The powerkit while not having experienced it, will be even more brutal, making this car as raw as the Turbo S. Great upgrade to start.

Your wife is definitely a keeper! She sat in the back seat? You should be ashamed for letting that happen, why didn't you let her drive and you sat in the back?!

I tried that once, and we didn't go out in it, we ended up using my friends car. Another reason why the panny is the right car.

I do have the PDCC without the PTV, I have a '10 and I don't think it was an option then, plus the PTV is more for like the track. The PDCC makes more sense for everyday driving, you actually don't feel the weight of the car that much, the PDCC makes the body roll almost minimal inside.

The air suspension is a tad "airy" so even at it's most harsh setting it still feels like a "Cadillac", but I can live with that.

All in all I'm loving it more, everyday I drive it, the more I drive it, the more I fall in love with it.

One thing I do notice is that more people tend to like this car and turn heads, than the 997TT, dunno if that's a good thing.

Good luck and enjoy it in good health!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 AM
kip
Back to the topic. The more I find out about the FF, I believe its not really comparable with the PTTS. 2 doors, not true awd, only 20 % of torque go to front wheels, crampped rear seats. Sounds more like a competitor to the 997 tt...

Old 08-20-2011, 09:52 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kip

Anyone seen a test or video???
Maybe we'll see AutoCar put these two on the runway and do one of those "drag races" that go 1-1.5 miles.

While these two cars may not necessarily be direct competitors, they do seem to match up relatively well.

And for the record, they both look fantastic...in their own way.