Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The worst finally happened, flat on the Expressway!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 05:50 PM
miralid is infamous around these parts
The worst finally happened, flat on the Expressway!

This morning as I was running late to a clinic full of patients, I wondered about the rear passenger tire requiring about 6 psi of refill. Just as I thought about doing it after work, at 70 mph the front passenger rapidly started to loose pressure 42-38-32-28-15....... Luckily I was able to get towards the right and park in a safe area b/w a ramp and the expressway.

Pulled out the tire gel, filled the tire with it, attached the pump only to see the white goo come out of a large gash in the tire. Called someone to pick me up, called Porsche road side. They were kind enough to get the keys from me at the clinic and towed the car to a nearby Good year tire place (Closest Porsche dealer is 4-5h away).

Ofcourse they don't have the tire and b/c of Labor day it will probably take 4-5 days to get there.

I have the tire and wheel warranty, their office is closed. Any idea on how the process to get a new tire with this additional coverage will work? Never needed to use this before.

Porsche should have included a donut in such a big car

Last edited by miralid; 09-03-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:52 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Isnt it good that you have tire pressure monitoring! Flats never happen in a good moment. Enjoy that statistically it will take a long time to have your next one...

Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 AM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
i got the spare tire kit from suncoast porsche. hopefully I will NEVER have to use it. I still think a spare tire should be included in a daily driver.

we should consider a class action lawsuit and get a spare tire given to us. Just think if you are stuck on the side of the road with your family and kids (and your car has a car or booster seat(s). then what ??? do you get a cab, do you have the tow truck company take your family of 4. wait how would that work ???? it doesn't . . . . . . . . .

i still got a panny, only after I knew i coule BUY a spare. Still pisses me off !!! BUT my Bose stereo is amazing (bose amp) takes up the room for a spare. Dont get me started on this topic . . . . . . . . .

Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
donfenn is infamous around these parts
Been stranded twice and had to ride in a tow truck... Already posted about this in an earlier spare tire thread..

The thing that is most bothersome is that the tires are not readily available... These OEM tires should be in stock at Porsche dealers if there are going to put cars on the street with no spares. It is upsetting to be stranded, but it adds insult to injury to have your Panamera sitting parked at the dealership because they are trying to find you a tire.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I can't get my head around the irony of owning a $160k car and no spare. Indeed the car sitting at the shop for this week is extremely irritating also.

Is suncoast the only option for the spare. At 1100$ it is expensive. Where do I get another bottle of Glue?

Mir.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by miralid
I can't get my head around the irony of owning a $160k car and no spare. Indeed the car sitting at the shop for this week is extremely irritating also.

Is suncoast the only option for the spare. At 1100$ it is expensive. Where do I get another bottle of Glue?

Mir.
If you want a spare from the factory our kit is the only one out there. It will certainly get you to a dealership or tire store if you are stranded. Otherwise the tire gel is also listed on out website here:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//95572263100.html

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you out with.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks. Any chance I can get a discount on the Spare?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 AM
TGED is infamous around these parts
I plan to buy the spare, leave it at home unless if I go for long trips. So if I get a flat during daily commute, someone can bring the spare from home.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 AM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TGED
I plan to buy the spare, leave it at home unless if I go for long trips. So if I get a flat during daily commute, someone can bring the spare from home.
That's what I've done. I've got an extra 20" Bridgestone summer front tire at the house along with a very bald Pirelli rear tire. The tire is never in stock locally so this seems to be the best solution.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TGED
Seeing that you're in Toronto, you must have a set of summer and a set of winter? If not, I suggest buying a set of 4 winter wheels and tires will be more useful than spending $1000 for one spare.

I have at least 2 set of wheels/tires for each of my Porsche, so I don't need to get any spare. The problem is to bring along one extra wheel/tire for long trip, the trunk space will be significantly compromised. I guess we have to wait for some high performance run-flat tires as the best option.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 PM
So one of the winter/summer tires can be used as a spare, good idea.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:40 PM
The Cayenne comes with an 18 inch collapsible spare tire, so if it can fit the Panamera, perhaps we can bring one in the trunk for long trips, it should take up less room than a regular summer/winter tire.