Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by whenwe
Kip and other - after you had your fix applied for the high pitch noise, did the noise go away completely or is there still a muffled sound at round about the same speeds? Just had mine done and noise never went away completely.
I only have a very soft whistle anymore in a certain wind condition, dont know if this fix did anything, or just make the car more quiet again.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM
whenwe is infamous around these parts
My Porsche service center has escalated this back with Corp. I hope they can sort this out...

Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 AM
whenwe is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

The high pitch noise was most likely solved today. The back hatch fix was applied after some test runs with the hatch taped. Initial tests indicate that that got rid of the noise.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 AM
Wiems is infamous around these parts
New to me 2010 PTT with issues

Hey guys,
I'm new to the site although I have been following the forums for years here. I just traded in my 2006 CS cab for a 2010 PTT. Long story, but I never test drove the car before I bought it from Herb Chambers Mercedes Benz in Boston. Driving home I noticed some little issues including the rear hatch noise ( goes away with painters tape across the gap). I also have some noise that is more intense at startup, but sounds like a not-so-subtle supercharger whine that appears to be eminating from under the car towards the back of the engine. I will try to upload the sound if possible. It never totally goes away. Lastly, the front passenger seat squeaks like crazy when unoccupied over any little bump. I am in touch with the Herb Chambers Porsche service department now and they will be taking the car in for whatever fixes they can do.
It's a beautiful car but I'm definitely starting off with a stumble!

Andy

Old 10-14-2014, 05:32 PM
nick.kapoor is infamous around these parts
I know this is an old thread. However, this has been my nemesis in an otherwise outstanding piece of machinery. Diagnosing the problem is one of the key issues. Had the dealer go through the steps of changing grommets, hose clamp, water drain sleeve as shown in the work order uploaded by sapaman or kip(apologize for not doing a good job referencing the older blogs). Car was at the dealer for almost a week.

Tom of Silver Spring Porsche has been outstanding, working with me while he communicated the issues to the PCNA. Very happy with responsiveness of PCNA. However, I do understand the challenges in diagnosing the issues. My ptt after a week at the shop, still did not fix the whistling noises at 48mph, 51-55mph range and some very high speeds. Got tired of it and listened to you guys and bought myself painter tape and taped up the hatch a few moments ago. Noise GONE. Geeee OHHHH ENN - GONE I am thrilled.

However, the question remains what does the dealer need to do since the issue is diagnosed as the effect of fluting originating from the gap between the hatch and the body. Is it the rubber lining between the gap that needs to be replaced or the hatch has to be readjusted or both? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your time.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Wiems is infamous around these parts
Hey Nick,
The rear hatch issue was solved by replacing the rubber seal around the hatch as well as placing a couple of thin shims under the mounting brackets to slightly raise the leading edge of the hatch. You can hardly notice the new misalignment, but the wind noise is gone. Unfortunately, the car continued to have the crazy supercharger-like whine which really bugged me. What REALLY bugged me was that the Herb Chambers Porsche dealer told me that this was normal. I had driven another virtually identical car for 300 miles immediately before I ended up with this one, and it did not sound the same. Eventually, I decided that this car was hexed and I sold it to a wholesale buyer. I took a hit, but at least I'm done with it. Nothing against PTT's, but they are complicated cars and they can be a bit quirky. Sometimes it seems that the more a car costs, the quirkier they are! I don't know what's next for me, but if I ever get another PTT, it'll be a lease!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wiems
Hey Nick,
The rear hatch issue was solved by replacing the rubber seal around the hatch as well as placing a couple of thin shims under the mounting brackets to slightly raise the leading edge of the hatch. You can hardly notice the new misalignment, but the wind noise is gone. Unfortunately, the car continued to have the crazy supercharger-like whine which really bugged me. What REALLY bugged me was that the Herb Chambers Porsche dealer told me that this was normal. I had driven another virtually identical car for 300 miles immediately before I ended up with this one, and it did not sound the same. Eventually, I decided that this car was hexed and I sold it to a wholesale buyer. I took a hit, but at least I'm done with it. Nothing against PTT's, but they are complicated cars and they can be a bit quirky. Sometimes it seems that the more a car costs, the quirkier they are! I don't know what's next for me, but if I ever get another PTT, it'll be a lease!
Hi Wiem:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I already took a hit by switching from the 4s to the turbo. I am gonna stick to this one , hence this unrelenting momentum to sort this noise out. Fortunately the dealer and PCNA has been patient with me. I am sorry you had to take a loss.

Nonetheless, thanks for the info on the seals and shims. I will be on the phone with the dealer asap and will update accordingly. I do like the turbo noise - don't ask me why - lol, but the whistling is a nuisance and I hope to have this issue sorted out shortly.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Simple fix at the dealer. Took less than 5 minutes. Apparently he tightened the hinge in the back and adjusted the alignment on the hatch. No rubber seals, no shims. No whistling noise. Thank you all for helping me.