Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I only have to say thanks to my dealer who have done a lot of work to find out what the whining noise is. It seems they also cured the rattle from the panels.

It seems that the whining noise comes from the rear chrome ornaments around the windows that are loose on both sides and whistle like a flute. I tried them myself and indeed they seem to be poorly glued. Well the parts are coming, so I hope this will cure it.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Thought this was fixed allready, but the problem returned when it was a sunny dry day, so it is obvious that it has to be a relatively dry and warm day. So we drove with a tech person taping insulation and it seems its the boot insulation that whistles at certain speed. As the problem returned with tapes removed I am fairly certain it is this. Annoying, but hopefully fixed in a few days.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
meribela1 is infamous around these parts
I have the same problem on my Panamera

Very interested in this discn. I have the same problem on my Panamera. I think I am convinced it is not mechanical because the sound is not related to engine speed, throttle or gearbox. I thought it might be the sunroof and closing the internal sunroof cover seemed to make a bit of difference but then I became less convinced that I was on the right track. So hearing that it is part of the external trim makes sense. Did the dealer fix it and can you give any guidance as to exactly which trim?

It would be nice to fix it because it is a bit irritating in an otherwise supreme car esp on long journeys

Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM
kip
Originally Posted by meribela1
Very interested in this discn. I have the same problem on my Panamera. I think I am convinced it is not mechanical because the sound is not related to engine speed, throttle or gearbox. I thought it might be the sunroof and closing the internal sunroof cover seemed to make a bit of difference but then I became less convinced that I was on the right track. So hearing that it is part of the external trim makes sense. Did the dealer fix it and can you give any guidance as to exactly which trim?

It would be nice to fix it because it is a bit irritating in an otherwise supreme car esp on long journeys
The ornamental metals around the rear windows were not well attached (when you pull on them they mived, now they are stable), but after fixing this it continued. Then we drove around for an hour with the tech guy in the back and we placed car painters tape over the diffrent seals on the rear trunk. The sound desappeared and reappeared after removing the tapes. SO I just got the car back after they removed the whole rubber seal of the trunk. Hope it fixed it, but it has been snowing, raining and windy so it is impossible to tell if it worked. However I was very convinced with our diagnostic methods. Will report after I test it, just waiting for it to clear up.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Many thanks for the prompt reply . I will try taping mine up at the weekend and see what happens and let you know.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Well I tried taping up the rear hatch at the top and sure enough that cured the problem. So I took it to the garage and like you they are replacing the rubber seal. Not had it back yet as the horns failed which requires parts from Germany . However they did say that there was no indication that Porsche recognised it as an issue ie no recalls, but that the rubber seal was defective so they would change it.

Then last week I was talking to someone from Germany who owns one and he said he had noticed the same problem!! (we were having this conversation in Beijing believe it or not) and so it seems to be a generic issue.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM
kip
Well I tried taping up the rear hatch at the top and sure enough that cured the problem. So I took it to the garage and like you they are replacing the rubber seal. Not had it back yet as the horns failed which requires parts from Germany . However they did say that there was no indication that Porsche recognised it as an issue ie no recalls, but that the rubber seal was defective so they would change it.

Then last week I was talking to someone from Germany who owns one and he said he had noticed the same problem!! (we were having this conversation in Beijing believe it or not) and so it seems to be a generic issue.
Did your horn really fail? I cant believe it. My horn sounded a little quiet today. Thought I had pressed it too softly or that it was frozen. Now that I read your reply...Have to test it again...

Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
There are two horns apparently. They have been v weak from new so I guess one did not work and one gave up. this car was one of the first made so I think some of this is down to early teething issues and its been v reliable overall.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Heres an update

The new rubber seal on the hatch has not fixed the problem though it has made it a bit quieter. So back to the dealer and I am going to suggest that they raise it with Porsche or I will.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM
kip
My horns failed intermittantly now too and are going to be changed. Havent had a possibility to try the whistle sound yet, we have had a lot of snow and very cold weather for a few weeks now. Will report back when it is porssible. Get back if you get some new info.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Well the latest is that the back hatch has been refitted to reduce the gap to the roof and this has cured the noise but slightly interferred with the shut lines at the other end of the hatch above the number/registration plate. But definitely cured the noise

Old 03-20-2012, 01:09 PM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
This is one of the great things about these Boards - you can pick up problems and their solutions better than any other way. Sorry to hear about the issues - but thanks for the heads-up. I'm sure I'll have a few, and I'll report on that the fixes are.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM
kip
Well the latest is that the back hatch has been refitted to reduce the gap to the roof and this has cured the noise but slightly interferred with the shut lines at the other end of the hatch above the number/registration plate. But definitely cured the noise
Thanks for info, waiting still for the snow to melt and find out if I have the same issue still. On the other side of the world we diagnosed the problem and you found the qure

Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM
sapaman is infamous around these parts
Unbelievable, I have the same sound on a new GTS. Comes up around 70mph. I was struggling to find the source and then came across your post. The sound on the video is spot on, though much fainter in my car. Were you able to confirm replacing the seal fixed the issue? I am reluctant to start replacing seals on brand new car but the sound is really annoying...

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM
kip
Originally Posted by sapaman
Unbelievable, I have the same sound on a new GTS. Comes up around 70mph. I was struggling to find the source and then came across your post. The sound on the video is spot on, though much fainter in my car. Were you able to confirm replacing the seal fixed the issue? I am reluctant to start replacing seals on brand new car but the sound is really annoying...
The problem is its snow, wet and cold still... The noisy only occured at warm, dry days at high speed. Will post when summer arrives .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds