Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 PM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
Any updates on this?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM
sapaman is infamous around these parts
Update: My dealer spent 2 days trying to diagnose the source of the noise, taking various things apart and even riding with a rep from Porsche. Noise was confirmed by them and supposedly traced to a bad resistor in the blower fan. However, replacement of the bad part had no effect on the sound. Dealer is kicking this further up the chain - sending vehicle logs and issue description to Germany, hoping a similar issue and source has been found. I am doubtful anything will come of it, so prepared to live with it. As another forum member pointed out in a different thread, this particular noise can be reduced by manually closing the center console right side air vent making it somewhat tolerable.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM
vigoureux is infamous around these parts
Very interestingly I have a very similar noise in my Euro-spec 2012 Audi A6 back home. I can only hear above 120 km/h. If I turn the A/C completely off, it goes away.

My 2010 PTT doesn't have it though, knock on wood

Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Knacz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sapaman
Update: My dealer spent 2 days trying to diagnose the source of the noise, taking various things apart and even riding with a rep from Porsche. Noise was confirmed by them and supposedly traced to a bad resistor in the blower fan. However, replacement of the bad part had no effect on the sound. Dealer is kicking this further up the chain - sending vehicle logs and issue description to Germany, hoping a similar issue and source has been found. I am doubtful anything will come of it, so prepared to live with it. As another forum member pointed out in a different thread, this particular noise can be reduced by manually closing the center console right side air vent making it somewhat tolerable.

Hi,
I have done some more noise-research. I took my bluetooth headset and placed the microphone in over the vent-air intake under the hood. By use of the Recorder Plus app, I could transmit the sound to my Iphone. The noise could be perfectly recorded here. Next, I took a 30 cm silicon tubing and placed the headset microphone at one end and droppet the tubing through the ventilation-intake-grid. The noise was even clearer.
Summary: The noise seems to be created where it can be transmitted into the space where the vent-air intake is located and further transmitted into the car, preferentially through the right-middle vent grid. (Of course, I placed the silicon tubing with the microphone into the right-middle vent grid, and the noise was easily recorded and very clearly damped when the grid was closed).

I also placed the headset microphone in the engine bay, but no noise was detected.

Another observation is that the noise is impossible to provoke when just roll (downhill) on neutral at the critical speed....

Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
nova996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Knacz
Hi,
I have done some more noise-research. I took my bluetooth headset and placed the microphone in over the vent-air intake under the hood. ....

I also placed the headset microphone in the engine bay, but no noise was detected.

Another observation is that the noise is impossible to provoke when just roll (downhill) on neutral at the critical speed....
This is great research in this thread! I appreciate it very much because I expect I'll be working with my dealer to resolve this when my car finally gets here.

So, given what Knacz has observed, and given that the 'front' whistle seems to be only on the AWD cars, does this point to a noise coming from some part of the front wheel drive mechanism?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 PM
I agree, great detective work knacz! Not sure about the the drive mechanism being the source, seems odd that it would come primarily through one vent only - but that does seem to fit with the observation of no sound when coasting in neutral. knacz - when you hear the noise, have you tried immediatley adjusting the a/c temp to heat? My tech did this and found the noise is diminished when the a/c is heating instead of cooling, similar to closing the vent. Curious if you observe the same? This led my dealership to focus on the air blower or air flow flaps as the culprit, but no success so far.

Last edited by sapaman; 08-22-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I just did a test on my commute this morning - the sound completely dissappears when transmission is put into neutral while coasting. Confirms what knacz observed and implies front drive-train problem.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM
nova996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sapaman
I just did a test on my commute this morning - the sound completely dissappears when transmission is put into neutral while coasting. Confirms what knacz observed and implies front drive-train problem.
And from the cutaway drawings in the brochure, the front drive shaft is to the right of the transmission and under the duct that feeds the right center vent.

I wonder if owners in GB and other RHD markets hear this sound through the left vent (their passenger side)

Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Kees is infamous around these parts
Angry High Pitch noise on 4S

Saw the thread on this issue, I have same problem and its extremely annoying

Porsche Dealer in Switzerland have tried to sort it out without success- attempting to pass it off as some problem related to the air vents /rear hatch seal.
This is a Transmission problem and in my opinion - on the rear end
The high whine sound begins when press / release the gas pedal over 80KM and "disappears" over 150KM due to road/tyre noise.
When coasting, no sound is heard so its obviously the 4x4 transmission.
On the Panamera Hybrid, Diesel (no 4x4) this problem not occurs.

So far, all attempts, to cure this have failed. Porsche Germany know well this problem but cannot come up with a solution - its obviously a project defect.
On my Carrera 4S, i not had this problem either.
This car will not last long me as in Switzerland, we are obliged to drive 90% of the time at 80-100KM and the sounds drives me nuts.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kees
Saw the thread on this issue, I have same problem and its extremely annoying

Porsche Dealer in Switzerland have tried to sort it out without success- attempting to pass it off as some problem related to the air vents /rear hatch seal.
This is a Transmission problem and in my opinion - on the rear end
The high whine sound begins when press / release the gas pedal over 80KM and "disappears" over 150KM due to road/tyre noise.
When coasting, no sound is heard so its obviously the 4x4 transmission.
On the Panamera Hybrid, Diesel (no 4x4) this problem not occurs.

So far, all attempts, to cure this have failed. Porsche Germany know well this problem but cannot come up with a solution - its obviously a project defect.
On my Carrera 4S, i not had this problem either.
This car will not last long me as in Switzerland, we are obliged to drive 90% of the time at 80-100KM and the sounds drives me nuts.
Just to quote on this, I was in the car when we taped the rear hatch for the rear high pitch sound, and it disappeared with taping of the rear hatch. So far I have not had the front end noise, but then again my car has been in the repair shop for a 4 weeks in total this summer., not on the road. I was wondering if I should buy an Audi A3 as am driving a loaner one all the time anyway...

Old 08-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Porsche is well aware of the pitch sound caused by improper Hatchback assemblyon the Panamera.
In my case, it is not the cause as we tried already this.
The rear drive train was fully inspected - new fluids used, no solution was found.
Will give Porsche on more shot to solve this, then Game Over.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Porsche is well aware of the pitch sound caused by improper Hatchback assemblyon the Panamera.
The rear drive train was fully inspected - new fluids used, no solution was found.
Sorry to hear this. You are on M5board too arent you?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Am not in the BMW circle

Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Kees - what year and model Panamera do you have? I spoke with the lead technician at my dealership last week, they have sent my case to Germany (something called a "P-tech" notice???) and can't do anythnig more without some guidance. I was also told that my dealership has heard the same noise on multiple '13 Panameras and now recognizes it is a consistent issue.

For me, I also commute very long distances at high speeds so this issue will probably lead me to change to another car very soon if there is no easy fix. F10 M5 deliveries have begun in the US, so I may go back to that - though I think the Panamera GTS is a better package if not for this unfortunate issue.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
I don't venture in to the Panamera forums much but here's what I've heard about this noise. The noise being described is present on the AWD models, as it is a harmonic noise produced near the back of the transfer case. The problem isn't necessarily that this noise is created, so much as it is being transmissted into the car. The reason it is being heard in the AC vents is due to the water drains that go from the air box inside the car straight down near the transfer case. It becomes a case of a "sound symposer" for drivetrain noise, routing it inside the cabin. Not sure there's a "fix" for it yet(or even if there will be), but thought I'd aid in shedding some light on it.

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 08-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds