Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for info.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:16 AM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
Is this something that customers are just speaking up about, or is this a relatively new "problem"? I.E. is this a MY2012+ issue?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 AM
disden is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keith27
Is this something that customers are just speaking up about, or is this a relatively new "problem"? I.E. is this a MY2012+ issue?
I didn't notice this noise in 12K miles on my 2010 Turbo. In my new GTS noticed it on the first day driving home from work. The whine noise is a high pitched feedback like sound when driving at speeds above 50mph and fluctuates with throttle input. It is not loud, but when its noticed it is extremely annoying. The trick with the vent actually works, so not sure what is the source. At first I too thought it had to be a driveline issue, because only occurs at speed, not in neutral. I like the car too much to let a dealer monkey with it for weeks to not find anything that can be fixed.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Knacz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by disden
I didn't notice this noise in 12K miles on my 2010 Turbo. In my new GTS noticed it on the first day driving home from work. The whine noise is a high pitched feedback like sound when driving at speeds above 50mph and fluctuates with throttle input. It is not loud, but when its noticed it is extremely annoying. The trick with the vent actually works, so not sure what is the source. At first I too thought it had to be a driveline issue, because only occurs at speed, not in neutral. I like the car too much to let a dealer monkey with it for weeks to not find anything that can be fixed.

I found that the noise is generated pre-ventilation. When I place the bluetooth microphone deep into the compartment under the air-intake box, the noise can be readily recorded. This compartment is in open contact with the gearbox...and probably other driveline components.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Kees is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info..it does sound indeed very probable such an explanation.
I agree to find a solution for a "sound symposer" will be a tough job
I got no feedback form the dealer because they have given up already.
I now left the car back and its for sale
I traded in my 2006 4S Cabrio for this Panemera - MY 2009 with 23,000 km on it.
Its a real pity - financial loss as need continue pay the installments until its sold and the sick feeling of arguing against a rubber wall. You lose confidence in the brand.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
sapaman is infamous around these parts
Update: I have been working with my dealership on the issue of high-pitch whine transmitted through the air vent. The lead technician and service manager at my dealership have been excellent. They escalated this issue several levels through PCNA and then finally to Porsche in Germany. Porsche has acknowledged the issue of a harmonic frequency sound transmitted through the air vent opening in the engine bay. My dealership has been told that an extension piece is being developed that will be added on the current vent opening to eliminate the sound intake. I was told to expect "a few weeks" for the work-around to be completed. When I expressed skepticism regarding the speed at which Porsche would actually develop and release a fix, I was told that this was apparently being taken very seriously by Germany due to the number of Panamera's reporting the issue - they realize this is not an isolated problem.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Kees is infamous around these parts
DEAR Sapaman
thank you very much for the update and information. I will pass it to the dealer and see if they can : 1) confirm it 2) use the info 3) fix mine and pass the car back to me
I have test driven Sunday a new GTS in HK and confirm that this particular Test car did not have this problem. Other friend has a GTS with the same Pitch but he never "noticed" it because in HK we cannot drive too far too long time. Not enough roads!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 AM
shaibu is infamous around these parts
Hi sapaman, I also have a 2013 GTS with the same problem. Do you know if there is an update on the fix? thanks!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 AM
No news. My service contact has no insight into how long it will take, but believes that when it is complete a global service bulletin will be issued with the fix.

Interestingly, I have one of the first 2013 Panameras in the US (GTS built Jan 2012) and this will be the 2nd bulletin issued based on my car. I also had a faulty wiring harness in the passenger side mirror which apparently was a problem in 2013 Panameras delivered early. After the dealership identified my issue and reported it, a bulletin was issued a few weeks later to replace the harness on cars where the passenger mirror got stuck when folding and retracting. This is apparently why my dealership thought it would be a quick resolution - but the whistling noise is clearly something more complex.

Not that I am complaining, the GTS has been phenomenal every other aspect.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 AM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
I'm getting this noise as well in my 2013 PTT. It's getting more and more annoying and I hope a fix is out soon.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 PM
zgdanska is infamous around these parts
Arrow noise

Hello. I did file a complain with pcna about this problem after few visits in two dealers without a solution. After talking to Heather from pcna my hopes for the fix are very low. She told me that this f$## noise is normal ! and Porsche is not planning to do anything about it. My plan "b" is trade in my p4 and get the 2 wheel drive car or wait a year for the 2014 and lose 15k. Any advise ?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
It's "normal" for a 2013 car? It seems like this is an issue with newer cars, no?

I would advise getting a list of people whose cars have this issue, names, VINs, location, etc. Present that to Porsche so they can see how many people are impacted by it....

Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM
zgdanska - really surprised PCNA would say it is normal, they are either truly clueless or my dealer is giving me a line of B.S. on the problem being addressed in Germany (I admit this is possible). Did you take an experienced tech on a drive with you when you visited the 2 dealerships? I had to do this in order for someone to take me seriously, it is just so obvious and not "normal" once you are in the car. However, without that I was just lumped in with the creak, squeek, rattle, wind noise complaints, and told "these cars are not completely quiet".

Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Porsche is really going to lose customers on not reacting to these issues...This sadly is something one would expect from Volkswagen.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM
zgdanska is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sapaman
zgdanska - really surprised PCNA would say it is normal, they are either truly clueless or my dealer is giving me a line of B.S. on the problem being addressed in Germany (I admit this is possible). Did you take an experienced tech on a drive with you when you visited the 2 dealerships? I had to do this in order for someone to take me seriously, it is just so obvious and not "normal" once you are in the car. However, without that I was just lumped in with the creak, squeek, rattle, wind noise complaints, and told "these cars are not completely quiet".
First i went to the dealer with my wife. We drove for a while with the main service adviser and he admitted to the problem. Also he told me that a couple of his costumers did trade inn the panamera for a bmw because of this issue. I also drove that day a 2 wheel drive and the car was silent. If this was some korean crap car i would not be complaining but this is 100plus k plus luxury car. . Maybe we can submit our vin numbers and names to the administrator of 6speedonline so he can forward this to pcna ? LMK
ps.
I have 2013 panamera 4 2,500 miles

Last edited by zgdanska; 10-15-2012 at 03:57 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds