Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM
sapaman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jty421
I'm starting to worry about this high pitch everyone's talking about here I just ordered my gts a few days ago. Should I cancel my order and get an S rear wheel drive? Or is something I can live with?
I hate to say it, but I probably would not have taken delivery of my GTS if I had known about the whistle. Keep in mind there are two different whistle sounds covered in this thread. Mine is the one coming through the center right air vent, created apparently by the AWD drivetrain - not from the rear hatch seal. I do A LOT of highway driving and the sound is incredibly annoying at certain speeds. Once you tune into it, it is impossible to ignore even with the radio on. If you are the type to be bothered by rattles and creaks in a vehicle, this will drive you crazy.

Last edited by sapaman; 11-08-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
I have the whistling through the center vent one but it's so faint I rarely notice it. I have to listen hard to hear it. I guess it's a random defect that affects some cars more than others.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by NiceCar
I have the whistling through the center vent one but it's so faint I rarely notice it. I have to listen hard to hear it. I guess it's a random defect that affects some cars more than others.
I don't think it is a random defect. I have heard the exact same sound on several new Panameras with AWD, including the brand new Panamera 4 that I was given as a loaner. Perhaps the magnitude of sound varies depending on the vehicle and sensitivity of the driver - but it is there due to an inherent design defect. It is a pretty high frequency sound and may bother some less than others.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
Yes, the volume of the defect is what I meant was random. It doesn't bother my wife or son either so I don't think it's just very faint due to my hearing.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by NiceCar
Yes, the volume of the defect is what I meant was random. It doesn't bother my wife or son either so I don't think it's just very faint due to my hearing.
Ok, got it. For whatever reason the sound is much worse for me. Closing the vent helped, but the sound still comes through. I have noticed it is much worse on really hot (>85deg) or cold days (<40deg) and gets louder if I am driving at a consistent high speed for long periods of time. So perhaps location and driving habits are a factor as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Temperature, at least heat, doesn't seem to matter with mine. I've had it up to 121F but not under 40 yet. And I've driven it at consistent high speed for long periods of time.

I might have heard a louder noise or some sort of squeal above 150mph but I wasn't really concentrating on trying to identify sounds during those times. Up to 150 I don't recall hearing anything. The interior of the car is actually very quiet at high speeds.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM
jty421 is infamous around these parts
My GTS is a Jan. production so hopefully the problem is fixed...

Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Kees is infamous around these parts
if you have sensitive ears - you will hear it, even above the radio, because it is a high pitch whine
Once the sound enter your ear, you will hear it no matter what
If you not need 4x4 - get the S or switch to other model / car make

Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 AM
nova996 is infamous around these parts
I think it really depends on the build date. I test drove a used 2011 4S to see why this sound is so objectionable to people, and I can see how it was very annoying in that car. No question.

My Sept '12 build car has the same noise, but at a much lower volume. I am easily annoyed by noises, so this really worried me, but the sound in the Sept '12 is so slight that you cannot possibly hear it over the exhaust or the radio if you have either of those on. Even with neither on, the volume of this sound is still very, very slight.

So I think before you make a decision, you should go to the dealer and drive different ones and see how you feel.

Of course it's possible the sounds just gets worse as the car gets older (mine has only 1,100 miles still). If that's the case, then I'll be unhappy about this in a few months.

Last edited by nova996; 11-09-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 AM
jty421 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E63911K12
I've never heard the whistling noise from the back, so I can't offer any ideas there. I also watched your second video (where you pushed on the passenger door panel). I have a similar noise that I couldn't pinpoint the source. It only begins to make noise at speeds above 90 kph. I'll try the same thing and see what happens. Did your dealer take care of that problem or will they need to take care of both?
Originally Posted by nova996
I think it really depends on the build date. I test drove a used 2011 4S to see why this sound is so objectionable to people, and I can see how it was very annoying in that car. No question.

My Sept '12 build car has the same noise, but at a much lower volume. I am easily annoyed by noises, so this really worried me, but the sound in the Sept '12 is so slight that you cannot possibly hear it over the exhaust or the radio if you have either of those on. Even with neither on, the volume of this sound is still very, very slight.

So I think before you make a decision, you should go to the dealer and drive different ones and see how you feel.

Of course it's possible the sounds just gets worse as the car gets older (mine has only 1,100 miles still). If that's the case, then I'll be unhappy about this in a few months.
I already placed the order on GTS so hopefully the problem is fixed.
Good to hear that the sound in your car is very slight. I'm very easily annoyed by noises as well. But I don't do highway driving on regular basis maybe a once a week. So this won't be a big issue for me well at least hope not.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 AM
zgdanska is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jty421
I'm starting to worry about this high pitch everyone's talking about here I just ordered my gts a few days ago. Should I cancel my order and get an S rear wheel drive? Or is something I can live with?

Get a rear drive only. Now i have about 5000 miles on my p4 and i can hear the noise all the time. This is total ripoff from Porsche. 100 reply and over 4800 views of this topic. I wonder how long they will ignore this. Any good lawyer with the same problem ??

Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by nova996
I have a Jan 2012 build GTS with approx 13k miles. The drivetrain whistling sound has become noticeably worse over time.

Last edited by sapaman; 11-09-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM
eleeas8 is infamous around these parts
Just want to confirm that both kinds of high pitch noise are from the AWD model. Does anyone with RWD model (base and S) have this kind of noise? I am about to pull a trigger to order one.

I had the similar noise experience when I bought my '98 Infiniti. The noise only happened from the upper passenger window, over 70mph with a windy weather. It is a resonate sound. It drove me crazy when it happened. But the dealer could not do anything about it.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 PM
baileybonds is infamous around these parts
For those GTS owners that are living with this noise, how many of you like Sapaman would actually not have taken delivery of the car if you had known about this issue? I have a GTS on order and am wondering if this noise is a dealbreaker to take delivery or not.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Kees is infamous around these parts
I have (well had, as is up for sale) a 4S and if had known about it - would NEVER have confirmed the purchase.
Wind noise generated by /from body panels / window sills, doors, seals etc are more or less easily overcome by trial and error in a good body shop / dealer with care, passion and patience
Here we cite and share experiences on a high pitch sound that doesn't depend on the weather or type of road surface or your driving skill - just a mechanical generated whine/pitch generated by the vehicle between 60-130 Kph. Depending on tyre/road surface, your wife, the pitch is covered more or less when go over 130Kph

The video from Top Gear that Sapaman posted on page 3 is enough to evidence and to highlight this issue.
Therefore, if any of you have sensitive ears or have ears, that once become" Tuned in" to a sound / have difficulty forgetting it - then your expensive 4WD toy and future joy is in serious mental jeopardy.
From what I have read, the majority of us with this issue have test driven 2 wheel versions w/out finding the pitch.
In any case, the "defect" or "flaw"(call it what you want) in the 4WD Panamera is outrageous because the car is "pitched" (sic!) as a very quiet and comfortable 4-door / 4 seater.
Sorry if this risks lowers your enthusiasm - but it seems that there are no dealers capable of sorting it out. I have given up the car as the sound irritated me no end - even with the radio /music on. In all fairness and clarity, it never bothered my wife,even when she heard it, but then, woman is woman.
Reason why you need check it your self, many guys can live with it -others like me cannot

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds