Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:14 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
BTW Those who havent got a transmission whine, but it comes from Somewhere else, There is Also a fix Where They change the Front bottom plate, I Believe, and Also the insides of the fenders.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 PM
sapaman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kip
I guessed most havent heard about this, so this is why I posted. I think there is hope for you.
Just completed the fix, it took two full days for the repair. Apparently an external drain pipe is re-routed from the front of the car to the rear in order to keep the high pitched whistle from entering the cabin through the right-center air vent. For me, the fix does not eliminate the noise completely unfortunately. However there is an improvement. With the right-center vent open while driving, the sound is now less noticeable than previously with the vent closed.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:48 PM
techrider is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sapaman
Just completed the fix, it took two full days for the repair. Apparently an external drain pipe is re-routed from the front of the car to the rear in order to keep the high pitched whistle from entering the cabin through the right-center air vent. For me, the fix does not eliminate the noise completely unfortunately. However there is an improvement. With the right-center vent open while driving, the sound is now less noticeable than previously with the vent closed.
I just bought an used 2012 Panamera 4 (made in Dec 2011), and found the same problem which drives me nuts. It would be greatly appreciated if you let me know the contact information (e.g. name, email address and phone number) of your technician by private message.

Last edited by techrider; 10-06-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM
mziegler38 is infamous around these parts
When I had my BMW with an ever-present elusive (to me) noise, the techs had a device that allowed them to isolate and ultimately fix the problem. I'm surprised the Porsche doesn't have the same tech tool.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Did they do this to you: Front bottom plate, I Believe, and Also the insides of the fenders?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:58 PM
timelinex is infamous around these parts
Wow, I'm glad that they have finally found a fix for this. I just bought my panamera a couple weeks ago and this noise has been driving me NUTS.

Most my driving I am listening to music. However, if I am on the phone or talking to my wife in the passenger seats, the noise is ridiculously disturbing.

From my understanding, the fix is rerouting the external drain pipe and also replacing somekind of front bottom plate, right?

I'm taking my car in this Wednesday. Anyone have any recommendations of exactly what to say to the dealer for them to know what fix I am talking about?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM
sapaman is infamous around these parts
Here is a picture of my service order with the high speed whistle repair described. There is a workshop manual code which could be used to identify the exact fix to your service advisor. I don't see anything there about a front plate added to further reduce the noise, I am going to call and ask about that. Hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	797.1 KB
ID:	291880  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 PM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
Here is a picture of my service order with the high speed whistle repair described. There is a workshop manual code which could be used to identify the exact fix to your service advisor. I don't see anything there about a front plate added to further reduce the noise, I am going to call and ask about that. Hope this helps!
I guess I won't be doing this fix anytime soon since I don't want to have half of the interior dismantled and the noise is not present for the past few months. No idea why.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by kip
BTW Those who havent got a transmission whine, but it comes from Somewhere else, There is Also a fix Where They change the Front bottom plate, I Believe, and Also the insides of the fenders.

Do you have any information on this that we can give the dealer? A workship manual code or something?

Originally Posted by tonyep
I guess I won't be doing this fix anytime soon since I don't want to have half of the interior dismantled and the noise is not present for the past few months. No idea why.
Why would you not want them to do it? Its free since its covered under warranty, and If they mess anything up it would be replaced. Am I missing something?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Well I got the service done. I showed them the thread and told them about porsches fix and they said porsche doesn't have an official fix, because it doesn't completely fix it. They said they have been rerouting the drain tube (which is what the supposed fix is anyways). So they did that. It definitely took the noise away at lower speed and now the noise is ALMOST gone. With everything off, I can still pick up on and hear the noise on the freeway, but its tolerable.

I told them about the 'front plate fix' that was mentioned on here but they didn't know anything about it and there wasn't enough information on here for me to tell them what it is.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:39 PM
kip
My car is still at the shop, so dont know what they are exactly doing, but I think the front plate + wheel arches they spoke about has something to do with the wind noise, as I dont have the awd noise from front vents as you have.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:17 PM
OK, so I have a newer update now. After the last fix, as I mentioned the noise got better. However, if I was travelling over 65 mph it was still really bad. Turns out that according to them, last week Porsche put out an ACTUAL fix for it with Porsche certified parts. It still rerouted the drain pipes, but with prefitted parts and to an optimized location I guess. They just did it for me this week and it worked like a charm. Now the humming is only noticeable when your REALLY paying attention for it or otherwise just under light acceleration. During normal driving, even with the music off, it is not noticeable anymore. Great success! The code for the fix is WM879131.

Or atleast ALMOST great success. Now I have a new problem. They have to take off the entire dash and trim to complete this job. Well they put it all back and now there is some serious creaking from all the trim under normal driving conditions. UGH. I wrote my service advisor and hopefully they can work this out. Its not just normal expected creaking that you would get on bad roads. Its some serious creaking under normal driving conditions. I gave it a couple days to see if it would settle in and it has not.

I feel like I'm a crazy person when I talk to my service advisers, nit picking so much, but I really don't feel like I'm nit picking. If my $30k lexus interior doesn't creak, rattle or hum, I don't expect my $200k sedan to either.

Anyone else have similar issues after a fix like this?

EDIT: HA, I just looked at the previous posters picture and it looks like its the same fix he told us about. I showed that exact picture to the service adviser and he said there is no official fix... I told him theres a WM number to it and showed him the picture I printed, but he just stuck to what he was saying. I didn't argue. One week later there is a magical official fix.

Last edited by timelinex; 11-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
mike1 is infamous around these parts
guys the whistling noise from the back is very apparent on my 2013 car, its been in and out of the dealers 11 times and we came to ahead. The car has been at the Dealer now for 2 weeks and they have a cure!!!!, it turns out that its the drivers side hinge on the tailgate
is the fault and caused by the powered access. There is a modification the dealer has to perform and as of today my car has been cured and i am collecting tomorrow, Porsche are very aware of the problem and it seems to be a weakness on the hinges them selves. this is not really what you would expect from a quality product but at least its been acknowledged by Porsche and fixed finally.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 AM
kip
Originally Posted by mike1
guys the whistling noise from the back is very apparent on my 2013 car, its been in and out of the dealers 11 times and we came to ahead. The car has been at the Dealer now for 2 weeks and they have a cure!!!!, it turns out that its the drivers side hinge on the tailgate
is the fault and caused by the powered access. There is a modification the dealer has to perform and as of today my car has been cured and i am collecting tomorrow, Porsche are very aware of the problem and it seems to be a weakness on the hinges them selves. this is not really what you would expect from a quality product but at least its been acknowledged by Porsche and fixed finally.
What did they do to the hinge, new seals to the tailgate like mine? Because that softened my original whistle.

Anyway, they changed the insides of my front wheelarches. This made tire noise surprisingly milder, the car is now unbelievably quiet. Also no whistles, but we have rain and snow now, so its hard to tell.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:44 AM
whenwe is infamous around these parts
Kip and other - after you had your fix applied for the high pitch noise, did the noise go away completely or is there still a muffled sound at round about the same speeds? Just had mine done and noise never went away completely.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds