Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Irritating things in the Panamera thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 PM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
My additions: ( this is really pushing it, i know )

- Build quality: carbon fiber steering wheel squeaks, part of the carbon fiber dashboard trim popped open by itself
- When the spoiler comes up in the back, view from the rear view mirror is unpleasant, not only it blocks the already limited visibility, the unfinished black material looks cheap.
- the wind shield wiper looks cheap when not operating, not sure why but it is noticeable, but it is.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:26 PM
VINTAGEFEFE has a spectacular aura aboutVINTAGEFEFE has a spectacular aura aboutVINTAGEFEFE has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by hummerchine
And to jtanoyo1, do you know you can set the height that the trunk opens to? If you have a height issue, I'd recommend that, so you can use the key remote...
How do we do this? I don't feel like reading the car manual that is as thick as the yellowpages....

Old 11-25-2011, 05:33 PM
hummerchine is infamous around these parts
Good point...

I think you push the trunk lid manually to whatever height you want, then hold the close button until it beeps and that is the new height it will open to. I THINK! They showed me that trick the day I bought the car...

Old 11-25-2011, 06:47 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
How do we do this? I don't feel like reading the car manual that is as thick as the yellowpages....
Page 30 of 343

Risk of damage to the tailgate. If the luggage
compartment cover is not attached to the
tailgate, the tailgate continues to move
slowly upwards beyond the automatic stop.
f
Only use the powerlift tailgate with the luggage
compartment cover attached.
1. Stand behind the vehicle and open the tailgate.
2. Press button on the key to stop the
automatic opening operation at around 2/3
of the opening height.
3. Now move the tailgate up by hand until the
desired opening height is reached. Make sure
that there is a sufficient minimum clearance
from any obstacle.
4. Press the button
A in the trim panel on the
tailgate for approximately 3 seconds.
An acknowledgement signal sounds.
The opening height of the tailgate has now
been programmed.
The tailgate can now be closed by briefly
pressing the button.
This setting cannot be deleted. If a different

setting is required, repeat steps 1 to 4.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 PM
TGED is infamous around these parts
The instrument cluster backlight should stay on during day time when headlights are off, because the gauges are so deeply recessed I think the backlight should be on during the day also.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Sarum87 is infamous around these parts
might as well add this to the list

NO SPARE TIRE! this is just plain dumb. The tires are not run flat either. i have a turbo.

i DO love the car though.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Radio keeps clearing all my presets everytime I start the car
Clock on the chrono stopped working immediately.
Annoying humm from the all season tires.
And that's only after a week!!

Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Your presets belong to the ignition key used - use the memory button on your door and then your presets will be stored with that ignition key - if you use the other key then do the same - i store both keys the same on both memory positions - silly but true. Chrono clock most likely a function of the presets too.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM
TGED is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Why is there a humming sound from the tires?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 PM
calexand is infamous around these parts
I had posted this as part of an audio-related topic on Rennlist, and realized this portion belonged here on this thread as well.

I ordered my Panamera without the CD changer. I would really prefer to not deal with swapping CDs while driving, so would have liked the changer. But in my testing of the different audio systems, it was so annoying to deal with the badly designed changer that I thought it would annoy me more than help. I am an interaction designer, and cannot stand badly designed things.

You try to insert a CD in the BOSE changer and it stops you to first ask which slot to put it in. Really? How about I could specify if needed by pressing a button, but for the 99.9% of the time I don't care or just have one CD, you just put it in slot one (or the next available slot) without stopping me first every time to ask something I am unlikely to care about?

Then, even more annoying -- I have just that one CD in the changer and press eject to get it out. Which CD did you want to eject, it asks? That is terrible design. If only one is inserted and the person presses eject, which one do you think they want ejected?! That would have annoyed me to no end.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:40 AM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
KIP & DHH:

I totally agree! And the two comments I've pasted below are at the top of my list. My wife has a host of other's which I will defer to the ladies section of the forum! LOL
I will say that this is Porsche's 1st attempt at a luxury sports car and putting it in that prospective changes my view. It's a pretty good 1st attempt. OUR, problem is we have had way to many luxury cars in the past and have become accustomed to certain things.

At M-B or even Audi there are at LEAST 3,000 engineers that work on the electronics/gizmo's. At Porsche you get the feeling that some guy named "Alexander" who only show's up to work on Tuesday's say's "da, da, is ok, send it out"

-When you open the boot lid from the drivers side, why wont it open when the engine is off. Thats when I usually use it, and why do I have to hold the button pressed until it is fully open?

5. why are not the garge door opener buttons on the retained power circuit with power until a door is opened.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ophtho
KIP & DHH:

I totally agree! And the two comments I've pasted below are at the top of my list. My wife has a host of other's which I will defer to the ladies section of the forum! LOL
I will say that this is Porsche's 1st attempt at a luxury sports car and putting it in that prospective changes my view. It's a pretty good 1st attempt. OUR, problem is we have had way to many luxury cars in the past and have become accustomed to certain things.

At M-B or even Audi there are at LEAST 3,000 engineers that work on the electronics/gizmo's. At Porsche you get the feeling that some guy named "Alexander" who only show's up to work on Tuesday's say's "da, da, is ok, send it out"

-When you open the boot lid from the drivers side, why wont it open when the engine is off. Thats when I usually use it, and why do I have to hold the button pressed until it is fully open?

5. why are not the garge door opener buttons on the retained power circuit with power until a door is opened.
Let me answer that (and by the way it is like that on most luxury cars, including the 4 Mercedes I've owned).

If you could open the boot or the garage door without having the key to the car (i.e. a running vehicle), you could open it when it is parked outside and you are an intruder, giving you access not only to the car but the garage and potentially the house.

Cheaper cars, where the garage door opener is not "switched" are security risks. Break into the car and you've broken into the house.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
calexand is infamous around these parts
jmmk: You still could have the garage door opener and trunk release on a delayed off that lasts two minutes after the car is shut. That would provide convenience without compromising security.

ophtho: Why exactly would this person be named Alexander?!!!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Mojosan is infamous around these parts
The multiple alarm chirps drive me crazy. I'm not sure why it occasionally does that but I'm sure there is a reason.

Not remembering the sport button position drives me a bit crazy as well.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by calexand
jmmk: You still could have the garage door opener and trunk release on a delayed off that lasts two minutes after the car is shut. That would provide convenience without compromising security.

ophtho: Why exactly would this person be named Alexander?!!!
German cars and Germans in particular would rather you learned their way of doing things instead of asking them to do it your way.

Seriously though, I've had my PTT for two years and it did take a while to learn many things about it. Of particular confusion, at first to me and I see now to many on this thread and others, are the two kinds of memory—the preferences set by the door buttons and the memory contained in the key itself. Once you understand this, you'll no longer have things that quit working, volume levels on the radio that startle you, seats in the wrong position, etc. This is something YOU have to learn since the car is not human and can't learn from you.

Many of the things people complain about are not "mistakes" or "design errors" they are design choices that Porsche chose over alternate solutions. Choosing a huge amplifier, an air pump and low floor height in the luggage area over a spare tire is not cheating you out of a spare, it is giving you a great stereo, lots of luggage room, reduced weight and a solution to flat tires that works 95% of the time. If you want to have a spare, there is plenty of room to put one in the luggage area by giving up the luggage space. Or you could rip out the amplifier and fit a compact spare in that area saving your luggage space but losing your stereo. There is no law against it if the spare is that important to you. Obviously the designers prioritized the amp and luggage room which are used every day instead of the spare which may never be used. A mistake or a choice? You can't have it all if you want attention given to packaging of the features, engine, transmission etc. with priorities placed on handling and performance. Need more room for more things? Get a Cayenne or Suburban and you'll give up ride or handling and definitely style.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Irritating things in the Panamera thread