Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Irritating things in the Panamera thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by versailles
I think he meant to say there margin was 25%.
Even if the # was 10% that's still phenomenal

Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
TGED is infamous around these parts
I did mean 75%. Think of it this way, high end models are selling for 2 to 3 times more than the basic models, eg. Pana turbo s vs basic Pana, it certain does not cost Porsche 2 to 3 times more to make them. And most of Porsche's options are also priced ridiculously high, for example, in Canada, the optional side steps for the Cayenne costs $1750, on the Mercedes M class, they are only $750. The colored Porsche crest center caps on the wheels cost over $200, C'mon, they are just made of plastics.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 AM
awryexperiment is infamous around these partsawryexperiment is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hummerchine
.... the stereo turns on every time you start the car.even if it was off when the car was turned off. Nothing like getting in to drive to work in the morning, fire up the car, and suddenly AC/DC is blaring out of the speakers at warp volume!
I suspect you may be only muting the stereo when you shut off the car.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
hummerchine is infamous around these parts
If I mute the stereo (turn the volume all the way down) and then stop the car, when I start it again it turns up a bit to where you can hear it, but not very loud. If the stereo is literally turned off before the car is stopped, it turns back on to whatever volume I had last played it at when the car is started. The stupid thing should be exactly where I left it, like every other car I have ever owned!

This is still my favorite car by far though...

Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Porsche is all into performance, I don't think they do any testing in terms of everyday practical use because a lot of the inconvenience becomes apparent after even a few days of driving the car. Why can't I use the trunk opening switch when the ignition is off while I am still sitting in the car, this is so dump ! I remember on my previous 2000 MB S-class, as I approach the car I can lower all the windows by keep pressing the unlock button on the remote, this is so handy in the summer. Now 11 years later I still cannot do this with my Porsche, even my Honda minivan can do this.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 PM
wade9111 is infamous around these parts
Still trying to figure out the damn power locks. I set it to all doors unlock when I use the remote which helps. But i still notice if i don't use the remote to unlock, like when you get in the morning from the garage. And, then say my kids want to get it, the other doors are locked and i have to press the Key button on the dash a few times to get it to unlock. Any ideas?? Anyone else experiencing this?? i'm definately going to tell the dealer.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM
No need to tell the dealer, that's the way Porsche designed their power locks. They often make things overly complicated. Like I said before, Porsche has not done enough testing of their products in terms of everyday practicality. The red light by the lock button does not always indicate the status of the lock. Many of their convenience features are very awkward to use.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TGED
Porsche is all into performance, I don't think they do any testing in terms of everyday practical use because a lot of the inconvenience becomes apparent after even a few days of driving the car. Why can't I use the trunk opening switch when the ignition is off while I am still sitting in the car, this is so dump ! I remember on my previous 2000 MB S-class, as I approach the car I can lower all the windows by keep pressing the unlock button on the remote, this is so handy in the summer. Now 11 years later I still cannot do this with my Porsche, even my Honda minivan can do this.
It works in my 2010 Audi. The switch is in the same place and I bet even manufactured by the same company, but somehow they lost the knowledge on the way from other parts of the same Volkswagen group.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by wade9111
Still trying to figure out the damn power locks. I set it to all doors unlock when I use the remote which helps. But i still notice if i don't use the remote to unlock, like when you get in the morning from the garage. And, then say my kids want to get it, the other doors are locked and i have to press the Key button on the dash a few times to get it to unlock. Any ideas?? Anyone else experiencing this?? i'm definately going to tell the dealer.
The first thing you need to remember is that there are two kinds of memory used in the Panamera. You have the memory set by the buttons on the door and the memory stored in the key (not FOR the key).

Push the OFF button on the door until the light is out. On the settings for the car on the configurable screen under locking choose all doors to unlock. Now push the SET and one of the numbered buttons until you hear a beep. The preference is now set to that button. It's probably best to push the OFF button now until the light comes back on so you don't accidentally change anything.

Now lock and then unlock the car with the remote. This sets the preference in the key to be the same as one of the numbered buttons and is probably what you want.

What went wrong before is that you had the key set at the one-door-only unlock (it was set the last time you locked and unlocked the door with the remote) and using the unlock button on the dash didn't cancel that.

This is the same problem that the posters who had the stereo blast them out every time they got in the car were experiencing. They set that preference with the lock/unlock feature of the key/remote and the car is doing what it thinks they want.

You should sit down with the car when you have time and go through all of the preferences available (from stereo volume, seat settings, mirror behavior, locking/unlocking preferences, alert volumes, configurable screen settings, other things related to options installed, etc.) and make sure they are all memorized on the door's memory buttons and then, if you want the key to cooperate, push the lock/unlock button on the remote. If you don't care what the key "remembers" you can always recall the preferences with the door buttons. It only works however, as a recall device, when the OFF light is not on.

Since the primary driver is usually the only person to care about the memory functions setting them both the same is most satisfying since the key memory overrules the memorized settings on the door. For example: You have everything set the way you like it and you take your car in for service. The technician gets in, moves the seat back, turns down the radio and adjusts the steering wheel to fit himself. He then gets out and locks the car with the remote. When he unlocks the car with the remote he doesn't have to adjust the seat or wheel. The key remembered what he wanted. Now you get in and everything is wrong. If you adjust manually and then get out and lock the car it will remember your adjusted settings. If you fail to lock the car the remote is still remembering the mechanics preferences. Start the car (remember, you haven't reset the key to your preferences yet) and the preferences of the mechanic will return.

The easy fix is to push the number button on the door to recall your carefully set preferences and then lock/unlock with the remote to sync the two. It's maybe a little more complicated (until you understand it) but it is also more flexible.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 PM
calexand is infamous around these parts
Excellent, thorough post. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I now know just what to do when my Panamera arrives even before I wade through the manuals (which I will do cover to cover, in excitement of the car, but which will take a little time).

Originally Posted by jmmk
The first thing you need to remember is that there are two kinds of memory used in the Panamera. You have the memory set by the buttons on the door and the memory stored in the key (not FOR the key).

Push the OFF button on the door until the light is out. On the settings for the car on the configurable screen under locking choose all doors to unlock. Now push the SET and one of the numbered buttons until you hear a beep. The preference is now set to that button. It's probably best to push the OFF button now until the light comes back on so you don't accidentally change anything.

Now lock and then unlock the car with the remote. This sets the preference in the key to be the same as one of the numbered buttons and is probably what you want.

What went wrong before is that you had the key set at the one-door-only unlock (it was set the last time you locked and unlocked the door with the remote) and using the unlock button on the dash didn't cancel that.

This is the same problem that the posters who had the stereo blast them out every time they got in the car were experiencing. They set that preference with the lock/unlock feature of the key/remote and the car is doing what it thinks they want.

You should sit down with the car when you have time and go through all of the preferences available (from stereo volume, seat settings, mirror behavior, locking/unlocking preferences, alert volumes, configurable screen settings, other things related to options installed, etc.) and make sure they are all memorized on the door's memory buttons and then, if you want the key to cooperate, push the lock/unlock button on the remote. If you don't care what the key "remembers" you can always recall the preferences with the door buttons. It only works however, as a recall device, when the OFF light is not on.

Since the primary driver is usually the only person to care about the memory functions setting them both the same is most satisfying since the key memory overrules the memorized settings on the door. For example: You have everything set the way you like it and you take your car in for service. The technician gets in, moves the seat back, turns down the radio and adjusts the steering wheel to fit himself. He then gets out and locks the car with the remote. When he unlocks the car with the remote he doesn't have to adjust the seat or wheel. The key remembered what he wanted. Now you get in and everything is wrong. If you adjust manually and then get out and lock the car it will remember your adjusted settings. If you fail to lock the car the remote is still remembering the mechanics preferences. Start the car (remember, you haven't reset the key to your preferences yet) and the preferences of the mechanic will return.

The easy fix is to push the number button on the door to recall your carefully set preferences and then lock/unlock with the remote to sync the two. It's maybe a little more complicated (until you understand it) but it is also more flexible.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM
wade9111 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the detailed information. That makes perfect sense as I have also noticed some weird things with the memory functions. I'll give it a try!!

Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by calexand
Excellent, thorough post. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I now know just what to do when my Panamera arrives even before I wade through the manuals (which I will do cover to cover, in excitement of the car, but which will take a little time).
No you wont! Once you get the car you will not read a page in your manual. Thats what happens to me. I allways read them before, while I am waiting for the car...

Here you go:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...amera_PCNA.pdf

Last edited by kip; 12-12-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
kip
The rearview camera is really nice in the summer, but now that winter began its totally useless. You see a blurred watery or icy image, nothing else. I dont think they placed it very well.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 PM
I just wipe it when I walk by the car. Maybe they can have the camera lens heated and with a little windshield wiper too!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:34 AM
kip
I dont understand why the bootlid is so sensitive. When I pack it full and try to close it I hear the beep sound and it wont close. I have to reposition items and close the trunk several times before it closes. EVERY TIME. Its irritating. It is also very hard to spot what is blocking it as even a thick coat can stop it from closing if it touches the boot, but move it 3 cm and it closes fine.

Again comparing this to my Audi, when I pack that fully, the lid sort of stuffs the luggage inside and only refuses to close when there is truly something blocking it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Irritating things in the Panamera thread