Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Irritating things in the Panamera thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Irritating things in the Panamera thread

I have had a few quality issues with the car, but they are fixed.
However, as much as I love the car, there are a few annoying things in the Panamera that I would like to share.

-If you turn of the engine from the drivers side, the music and lights wont go off until you open the drivers door
-You can only have the temperature visible on the lower right hand corner, you cant change it to time (fixed in the 2012 model PCM v.3.2)
-The home arrival lights cannot be turned of, the minimum cant be set to zero
-Why dont we have a curtain in the boot that could be attached to the ceiling, now we lose a lot of space, because you cant pack the boot all the way up
-Why is the battery connected directly to the 12V socket? All equipiment that is plugged in it NAVIGATOR, CAMERA etc. have to be pulled out every time you stop. Usually in other cars when you kill the engine, the socket stops giving power. Annoying, especially if you forget to unplug it!
-When you open the boot lid from the drivers side, why wont it open when the engine is off. Thats when I usually use it, and why do I have to hold the button pressed until it is fully open?
-The adaptive cruise control makes my passangers sometimes shout in fear. It engages very late and brakes very hard when it does, then just when you think it stops, it slowly slides closer to the car in front. It works totally different than any other car Ive driven. Well atleast it keeps me alert all the time.

-Why doesnt the car understand that the engine and turbos are hot, and I dont want it to automatically turn it off right when I stop at the gas station or first lights? Also the start-stop has given me a few scares in intersections, when you need to go half way to the intersection and pause before accelerating. Its not nice when the engine suddenly stops, just before you are about to mash the throttle.
-Why cant we have ventilated seats if we want the adaptive sport seats?
-Why can t we have the 5th seat as an option.

Well I just have to get used to it probably, I will be keeping this car longer than I expected, I think...

Last edited by kip; 11-24-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 AM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
Porsche engineers need to see this STAT!!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 AM
BeechSierra is infamous around these parts
Kip-see my opinion below on your issues......

Originally Posted by kip
However, as much as I love the car, there are a few annoying things in the Panamera that I would like to share.

-If you turn of the engine from the drivers side, the music and lights wont go off until you open the drivers door...No problem to me.

-You can only have the temperature visible on the lower right hand corner, you cant change it to time (fixed in the 2012 model PCM v.3.2)...No problem to me.

-The home arrival lights cannot be turned of, the minimum cant be set to zero...No problem to me.

-Why don't we have a curtain in the boot that could be attached to the ceiling, now we lose a lot of space, because you cant pack the boot all the way up...No problem to me. Also, probably a visibility concern. I wouldn't want to load the P-car up to that extend. Maybe just me.

-Why is the battery connected directly to the 12V socket? All equipment that is plugged in it NAVIGATOR, CAMERA etc. have to be pulled out every time you stop. Usually in other cars when you kill the engine, the socket stops giving power. Annoying, especially if you forget to unplug it!...This is one feature I particularly like. VW and Audi work this way too.

-When you open the boot lid from the drivers side, why won't it open when the engine is off. That's when I usually use it, and why do I have to hold the button pressed until it is fully open?...I agree but to me it is a minor annoyance.

-Why doesn't the car understand that the engine and turbos are hot, and I don't want it to automatically turn it off right when I stop at the gas station or first lights? Also the start-stop has given me a few scares in intersections, when you need to go half way to the intersection and pause before accelerating. Its not nice when the engine suddenly stops, just before you are about to mash the throttle...This could certainly be an issue in the circumstance you describe. I rarely use the start-stop feature anyway.

-Why cant we have ventilated seats if we want the adaptive sport seats?...Don't know.

-Why can t we have the 5th seat as an option....Personally wouldn't want it but can understand.

Well I just have to get used to it probably, I will be keeping this car longer than I expected, I think...
We plan to have our P-car for many years, too. Great automobile even with some of the characteristics mentioned here. Drive safely!

Chris L.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:57 AM
donfenn is infamous around these parts
Most of these issues are not so bothersome to me except the trunk latch issue.

The things that bother me are the placement of the central unlock button high on the center console behind the shifter... This is really awkward placement. There should be an unlock button which is easily accessible, rather than having to reach over the shift **** for a little button under the PCM display.

I also find the clock issue in my 2011 ridiculous.. Seeing the time is an important thing for driver and passenger.. I know its fixed now, but too late for my 2011.

Still love my Panamera, but yes there are a few niggles with things... just a few.

Last edited by donfenn; 11-24-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:19 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Did I already mention I love the car Best car I have owned. Its a love hate relationship.

BTW atleast in my Audi q5 the battery doesnt work this way. Maybe its older Audis and WV?

Last edited by kip; 11-24-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:41 PM
hummerchine is infamous around these parts
Here's an email I sent to Porsche about some other annoyances:

"Let me start by saying that I recently purchased a Panamera 4S, and words cannot describe how much I LOVE that car!

As amazing as it is, there are a few surprising glitches that I suspect could all be fixed in the software. For starters, the stereo turns on every time you start the car.even if it was off when the car was turned off. Nothing like getting in to drive to work in the morning, fire up the car, and suddenly AC/DC is blaring out of the speakers at warp volume! I like to listen to loud rock music part of the time, most of the time I like the stereo off. I recently went on a rock climbing trip, car camping with a good friend in the car. It became a joke after a while.turn the car on, wham the stereo is blasting. Like my friend pointed out, here is this car loaded with jaw-dropping technology, and this got screwed up? I just can't imagine any person who would want this. Every other car I have ever owned got this right.

Quite a bit less annoying, but annoying none the less, is the car won't stay in the drive mode after being turned off. I like to use Sport mode, sport exhaust ON, shocks on firmest setting. Well, it remembers my shock settings, but not the other two.

So every time I drive anywhere, I start the car, turn OFF the stereo, turn ON Sport mode, turn ON Sport exhaust. Considering how crazy awesome the car is in most every other way, I can certainly live with this.but sure seems like you should fix it!

Sorry, but there is one more thing.the iPod controls in the car. The smaller PCM screen immediately right of the speedometer needs major help here. There is no way to select music from my iPod on this screen. Well, you can have it list every song you own in alphabetical order, but if you have a zillion songs that does not work. And I don't want to dig around that hard to find one song; I want to listen to an album or a playlist. No way to do this on that screen. I CAN dig up a group, and then album, on the touchscreen above the shifter; but no way am I doing that while driving! Once I start up that album I can change tracks from same album on PCM screen by speedometer, but nothing else. What really shocked me was when my same friend mentioned above pulls out a generic mp3 player, plugs it in, and with it you CAN back out through all of the folders and find anything you want on the PCM screen! I want to be able to do the same thing with my iPod!

I did not write to *****; I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. But I know that I, and everyone else who has one, would love it all that much more if you fixed these glitches in a software update.

Thank you!"

Old 11-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Oh, and I agree about the trunk control on the driver's door...trunk should go all the way up without having to hold the button!

Old 11-24-2011, 03:58 PM
kip
I forgot about the sport exhaust, which was one main point when writing the list.

Are you sure that if you turn the radio off and then push the memory button it wont remember your settings? It remembers the volume settings atleast. Havent tried it myself.

EDIT:

Tried it: doesnt work, only the volume that is saved is set, atleast you can turn the volume down to almost not heard and save that.

jtanoyo1:
For the bootlid height issue, you can change the setting of the maximum height the bootlid opens to so it is not an issue, that your garage roof is too low !

Last edited by kip; 11-25-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:03 PM
TGED is infamous around these parts
I think Porsche should provide a PCM software update to all 2011 Panamera so the time can be displayed at the lower right corner on the PCM screen. The Panamera is the only car I know of that does not have a time display on the center dash, even cars costing 10 times less have this.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:10 PM
P4S2010 is infamous around these parts
Fifth seat would be fantastic - especially for those of us who have young kids!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:10 PM
VINTAGEFEFE has a spectacular aura aboutVINTAGEFEFE has a spectacular aura aboutVINTAGEFEFE has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by hummerchine
Oh, and I agree about the trunk control on the driver's door...trunk should go all the way up without having to hold the button!
That was for height clearance issue. I park my car at the basement of my house where I can physically touch the ceiling without raising my arm too much, so you can imagine that if you press the button once and the trunk opens all the way up and it smacks the ceiling, then I would be the one writing this "annoyance" to Porsche to tell them to do something about it, LOL.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
Add to the list -

1. why does sunroof not close when hold lock button on key - just the windows close.

2. why are mirror mounted exterior surround lights not mounted on the fixed part of the mirrow thus working even when the mirrors are folded in.

3. why is there no way to set all doors to unlock when drivers door open - only works when ignition switched off.

4. why is the door lock button not on the door?

5. why are not the garge door opener buttons on the retained power circuit with power until a door is opened.

Last edited by dhh; 11-24-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Oh ya, how did I forget that? The garage door opening buttons worked just fine when my Maxima was turned off...why not on the Panamera?

Old 11-24-2011, 10:40 PM
And to jtanoyo1, do you know you can set the height that the trunk opens to? If you have a height issue, I'd recommend that, so you can use the key remote...

Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 PM
TGED is infamous around these parts
The foot well lights should be LED and they should stay on at reduced intensity when the car is in motion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Irritating things in the Panamera thread