Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pass up deal of the century, trade 997.2 to panamera s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
JonasJordan1 is infamous around these parts
About to pass up deal of the century, trade 997.2 to panamera s

I was advised to post this here as well.

Thank you in advance for your time and answers:

Hi guys,

just surfing the web trying to check the value of my car I found a reasonably priced "local Canadian Car" low millage, no accidents 2010 panamera S CPO'ed.
When I was shopping for my 997.2 I kinda always wanted a panamera but didnt want to take the initial depreciation hit so went for the 997.2 carrera S which I NOW LOVE. So anyhow I went ahead and offered a trade, with no money involved: 2009 997.2 c2s meteor 10k in options us car not CPO'ed 21.000 km

And to my surprise the agreed to my offer and supplied the paperwork all I have to do I sign that thing and I have a "new" car. Today I went to "my" local dealer and I appraised the same a trade, but knew there was a difference, yes the panamera had like 7k more in options, so finally we spoke numbers and the salesperson told me $38.000, not only did they offer me 20k less for my car but they also wanted 18k more for theirs. Obviously he is going to adjust the offer by couple of K by tomorrow morning but you get the idea of how crazy this is.

Thinking ALL DAY back and force. I kinda came to the conclusion I have my whole life to drive a car like the Panamera but maybe nothing like the 997.2 (I am 25 married with a child) and this is our only car.
What do you think, am I crazy for walking on this deal?
I drove the car today and was a little underwhelmed by the power, liked the "handling" and absolutely hated the paddle feel of the brakes and accelerator (adjustable? or I guess you get used to it)

Input is as always appreciated

Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM
JAX GT3 is infamous around these parts
Stay Put

Stay with your wonderful 997.2!! You'll lose too much money on a trade.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
It looks for me as for the "short term" I wouldn't loose to much.

to clarify

My car:
2009 c2s 22.000km us import

theirs:
2010 p2s 13.000km candian car cpo'ed

bot similar msrp's (with the panamera adjusted price form today)

If someone can tell me how I would loose on this, I would really appreciate it as it would make me feel better with my not yet final decisions to keep the car

Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM
irishfan1985 is infamous around these parts
Do you really want the Panamera or are you just trying to get out of a quickly depreciating (997) 911? If you were trading for a Cayenne (for family) I would better understand your dilemma.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
do you think the 997 will depreciate faster then the Panamera? I mean getting such an "insane" offer should mean the dealer expects the opposite. I was reading before that "some" dealers are paying good money as of now for 997 cars. I was never to concerned to loose money when the 991 comes out, but before I bought 911 I kinda preferred the Panamera and said to myself well one day 997.2 prices should be even of the prices of the panamera (expecting they depreciate quicker) so I might just get it then, now all of a sudden that day has come but WAY sooner then expected and now I can't seem to "get away" from my car, just for that driving enjoyment it gives me.
On a side note: I do think the panamera is more practical then a 911 and I don't like suv's much so cayenne was not an option as an "only car"

Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
How can a 911 be your only car? For me with an ISOFIX seat the baby went to the front, wife in the back and carriage didnt fit anywhere, not to mention any luggage. The 911 had to go as it mostly stood in the garage. Car dealers dont take ANY car without atleast a little money to go with it. I figure it has to be one of two things, either they have a buyer for your car or there is something wrong with the Panny. Ask for an extended warranty if you go for it.

Last edited by kip; 01-06-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:57 AM
I couldn't find any good reason the dealer wants my car other then u mentioned that he has buyer for mine. The car is certified (warranty till 2016 - and no panel damage) and has no accidents recorded in the car-proof.

My Son is 19 month so he can sit forward facing, so he sits behind my wife in the back. He likes it better then our old bmw wagon for some reason, well and the frunk we use for shopping etc, there is also a couple of strollers that fit but we didn't feel the need. Now my dilemma is only that 90% of WHAT I do with 911 the panamera does "better" (hauling the family around comfortably) but then the 10% I want to drive spirited the Panamera is just not as satisfying. One of the reasons I worked hard in my early live and saved money is to own an "performance car" now I guess I would give up that dream getting the panamera

Old 01-07-2012, 02:23 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Only way I wouldnt take that deal is if the performance in my mind wouldnt be enough and I would track the car from time to time. But you are right, I think the Panamera is made for 30+ people more.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
I mean obviously its "enough", but it somehow did not excite me. Maybe I just missed to press the sport+ button and also I haven't tried the launch control.
I am sure if it was the turbo's performance I would have been sold.
When I got the 911 at first I did not like it as much as I hoped but I love it every day more, not sure if it would be the same with the Panamera.

What I find interesting is that here in North America the Panamera seems to be around 10k more then my car, in Europe they are already even with my car. Not sure if that indicate a similar trend here.

Another thing that comes to mind, one of the very active forum members here traded his 911 to a panamera was very please yet he has traded it back for another 911 a year later and seemed very excited about that. And I can't really afford those kind of experiments :-)

Here is where I see myself in 2-3 years if I keep my car:
I will get another nice daily driver (panamera/cayenne/cayun/pajun/550i/m5/s4)

In case I get the panamera now:
I would probably get a fun car like: spyder/caymen s or r

I would be very happy with either set ups but a 911 has a backseat and would be missing :-)

If I am reading my stuff I notice all I am trying to do is justify my decision to keep the 911. It just seems I can't make a decision - I seem to be unsatisfied with either (fml in a good way)