Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you know? -- Panamera Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 PM
calexand is infamous around these parts
Did you know? -- Panamera Tips

I just got my new Panamera S, and have been slowly making my way through the manual. I understand people not reading it, as it is so large, and the dumb warnings and obvious things get in the way of the useful information. But I have been finding some great tips as I go through it, so I thought I would share them for anyone who missed them.

I will do them one at a time, to avoid a big long post, to work with my progressing slowly through the book in my spare time, and to allow people to more easily reply about individual tips. Others, please feel free to post your own as well!

Chip

Last edited by calexand; 01-22-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM
1. If you press the remote's lock button twice in short succession, it will leave the car locked, but disable the alarm. This can be very nice if your wife or etc. is staying in the car and you want the car locked for her safety, but don't want to trap her inside. She can then leave at any point without setting off the alarm.

Last edited by calexand; 01-22-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 PM
2. If you hold the remote's lock button down for 1 second, it will fold in the mirrors. This is not only nice because you can do it after you turn off the car rather than remembering ahead, but then the mirrors automatically unfold out again when you start the car (unlike if you close them with the button inside).

Last edited by calexand; 01-22-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 PM
3. You can set the small PCM screen in front of you to show the speed limit of the road you are on. I find this very helpful -- not that I obey it, but I at least know what I should remain near. I have some concern that the data could become out of date, but so far it has always been right.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
j080808 is infamous around these parts
I read the manual twice (was on vacation so I brought it with me) and missed these, good info Chip!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
good stuff, keep it coming!!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by calexand
1. If you press the remote's lock button twice in short succession, it will leave the car locked, but disable the alarm. This can be very nice if your wife or etc. is staying in the car and you want the car locked for her safety, but don't want to trap her inside. She can then leave at any point without setting off the alarm.
You know its activated by a long blink + no red flashing light. Use it for the dog and boat rides. Did you know it also turns off the tow alarm, so your battery isnt empty feg when your travelling by boat. This can be done from any button on door in keyless go also when mirrors up.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
3. You can set the small PCM screen in front of you to show the speed limit of the road you are on. I find this very helpful -- not that I obey it, but I at least know what I should remain near. I have some concern that the data could become out of date, but so far it has always been right.
How do you set this in the small screen and is it navi based? I dont think it reads the signs like feg opel insignia. It pops up once a week randomly in the small screen and is usually wrong, so I bet its navi info.

Last edited by kip; 01-23-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM
kip
You can set the sport chrono timer to show the clock.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
kip
When you hold the ventilation rear button down for 1 s you can control the rear temp, but when you press the auto rest button, nothing happens. Why?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by kip
How do you set this in the small screen and is it navi based? I dont think it reads the signs like feg opel insignia. It pops up once a week randomly in the small screen and is usually wrong, so I bet its navi info.
Interesting. It has been right for me every time so far. It shows a speed, and then when I next see a sign, they match. This can be turned on by going to Vehicle Info (oil temp, etc.) and then to settings, display settings, and then PCM settings inside there. Speed Limit is one of the checkboxes.

Chip

Last edited by calexand; 01-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by kip
You can set the sport chrono timer to show the clock.
Good addition. Warning though: the reflection in the windshield at night (since the display lights up once the clock is there) can be annoying. It seemed great until I first drove it at night, and then I switched it back.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
kip
Interesting. It has been right for me every time so far. It shows a speed, and then when I next see a sign, they match. This can be turned on by going to Vehicle Info (oil temp, etc.) and then to settings, display settings, and then PCM settings inside there. Speed Limit is one of the checkboxes.

Chip
Ok. I had it checked, thought you did omething else to activate it. It shows 90% nothing and as we have different summer and winter limits, its allways wrong. I think its navi based and you have better maps.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Chip
Correction: I was playing with it this evening, and found it was based off a different setting than this. On the main (large) PCM display, go to Map, then Options, then Map Settings. One of the checkboxes in there is Speed Limit too. I tried turning it off, and my speed limit display went away. I don't know if that is because I was viewing the map on the main display, not on the small display (even though I was seeing the speed limit on the smaller display) but wanted to let you know that setting is key too.

Last edited by calexand; 01-23-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:02 AM
kip
Thanks, drive approx 30 miles per day. I have been driving only in the city for a few weeks only, so forgot the thing existed before your post and thought it was off, but no it just doesnt show anything. It showed today nothing, then 2 signs (they were actually right today as this section doesnt chnge the limits), then nothing again for the rest of the journey. It has to be map based and as our country changes the speed limits for winter every year they're not right 1/2 year. Anyway it shows nothing except on main highways, so our map system is crap also.

I would prefer the system where it actually reads the signs (most car companies have this technology).

One great tip (how to adjust the trunk opening height):

Risk of damage to the tailgate. If the luggage
compartment cover is not attached to the
tailgate, the tailgate continues to move
slowly upwards beyond the automatic stop.
f
Only use the powerlift tailgate with the luggage
compartment cover attached.
1. Stand behind the vehicle and open the tailgate.
2. Press button on the key to stop the
automatic opening operation at around 2/3
of the opening height.
3. Now move the tailgate up by hand until the
desired opening height is reached. Make sure
that there is a sufficient minimum clearance
from any obstacle.
4. Press the button A in the trim panel on the
tailgate for approximately 3 seconds.
An acknowledgement signal sounds.
The opening height of the tailgate has now
been programmed.
The tailgate can now be closed by briefly
pressing the button.
This setting cannot be deleted. If a different

setting is required, repeat steps 1 to 4.

Last edited by kip; 01-24-2012 at 04:12 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did you know? -- Panamera Tips